Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

Boxing day should be left alone but there is no need to have 2 games around new years. All teams should all play on the same days too.

Its unfortunate for West Brom that they are going into a huge game for them when their opponents have had a longer rest.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Really thought Berahino would do alright (in terms of scoring) at Stoke, but he's on an embarrassing barren run.

He's still only 24 but, at the moment, it certainly looks like he's wasting his potential at Stoke (who aren't really a club known for getting the best out of initially good talented players..).

I really don't get any of the hype that's surrounded Berahino. It's always been about his potential but he's never really proven anything. He had one good year at West Brom with 20 goals and that's been it. I think his Brazilian sounding surname makes him sound more exciting than he actually is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drift said:

I really don't get any of the hype that's surrounded Berahino. It's always been about his potential but he's never really proven anything. He had one good year at West Brom with 20 goals and that's been it. I think his Brazilian sounding surname makes him sound more exciting than he actually is.

Perhaps Musa should become Musahino? 

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Really thought Berahino would do alright (in terms of scoring) at Stoke, but he's on an embarrassing barren run.

He's still only 24 but, at the moment, it certainly looks like he's wasting his potential at Stoke (who aren't really a club known for getting the best out of initially good talented players..).

They're really an unambitious club, too, giving a new contract to the ageing Crouch and Stephen Ireland who very rarely plays..:blink:

Don’t disagree but we gave new contracts to James and Leo 

A solution to this fixture pile up problem for me would simply be to take the game between boxing day and new years eve/day/jan 2nd and play this in the first mid week of the season.

This would allow teams to properly prepare for the league cup if in it, and not burn players out ahead of the fa cup where teams then rest players (and consequently moan the cups are becoming worthless).

You could also potentially get rid of boxing day or new years day if needed date dependent (rest wise) and move a game to the last mid week of the season.

Just fairer for all to have adequate rest.
But then I'd have to spend time with my family during the Christmas/new year period.

After we play Chelsea in our next league game we have now done United, Liverpool & Chelsea home and away and it's early January. Hopefully no Palace type **** ups again. We have a chance to go on a good run. 

• Like 2

Arsene Wenger charged over comments made to the referee at West Brom.

When the camera, at the end of that game, showed Wenger asking questions to Mike Dean - the latter was clearly pointing to himself and saying to him "I'm the referee, I'm the referee".

Both are as arrogant as each other, but Dean is one of the worst for it in terms of referees. It's a pity they're not allowed to explain controversial decisions they've made after the game, like managers get questioned over their team selection matters etc.

Feel referred are given too much protection at the expense of managers imo.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Interested to see what Liverpool do with Jon Flanagan.

He's bit part and the fans are outraged so I wouldn't be surprised to see him released.

I have no doubt that if Simpson wasn't our only option at the time we'd have done the same to him.... 

20 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I wonder who could replace Hughes at Stoke if he was sacked?, difficult club to attract to. Could you imagine Koeman being tempted?

They were discussing this on the Oatcake after the game on Saturday.

A big consensus for Pearson.

4 hours ago, Koke said:

After we play Chelsea in our next league game we have now done United, Liverpool & Chelsea home and away and it's early January. Hopefully no Palace type **** ups again. We have a chance to go on a good run. 

Yep. And we only have Arsenal at home. The rest of the home games are all very winnable. Time to build castle King Power Stadium again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

They were discussing this on the Oatcake after the game on Saturday.

A big consensus for Pearson.

Well they can keep there dirty scabby hands off him !!  ...    he’s ours again and this time he’s going nowhere !!     So there.

24 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Well they can keep there dirty scabby hands off him !!  ...    he’s ours again and this time he’s going nowhere !!     So there.

Ideas above their station, CF - they were also talking about Brendan Rodgers as if all they had to do was ask.

I'd love to see them drop. Scummy club, scummy town with scummy, inbred fans.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RussianFox said:

Yet they have 246 hours between games in total and LCFC has 213.

By the way, excluding the most massive club in the world (West Ham) - ManCity, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spuds have more time between fixtures than any other club... what a coincidence.

Their games are likely to be on TV so will get moved to prime-time slots. Arsenal having Liverpool and Chelsea in this four-game run meant that at least two of their matches would be on TV (all four were in any case) so they were likely to have a longer break.

In the past two Christmas/ New Year schedules, we've had the shortest break overall this year and had a gap of 45 hours between matches last season (West Ham and Middlesbrough). Unfortunately, when you are at the whim of TV companies, you will either be hindered or benefit.

I see the West Brom argument because five days is a massive gap, especially for a big game like this, but they'll probably benefit in the future.