Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

King Power Stadium Pitch/Grounds Staff

Guest CityFan 06

That's unbelievable.

Would like that to be our resident pitch pattern at home games to be honest.

In Madrid the referee couldn't tell which side of the straight white line the foul occurred on so I can see how linesmen struggle with diagonal patterns. Changing the subject completely how much does a luxury sports car cost to insure or do you think that was inclusive with the "package". 

Van Gogh of football pitches'

Leicester groundsman shows why he is the 'Van Gogh of football pitches' as he cuts club crest into centre circle

• Leicester are still champions when it comes to intricate pitch patterns
  • The Foxes still have two Premier League home games remaining this season 
  • Leicester groundsmanager was holding workshop with New Ground Technology
  • Joe Ledwidge is renowned for his incredible pitch designs at the highest level 

Current Premier League champions Leicester are preparing to hand over their trophy to Chelsea this weekend, but when it comes to pitch designs, the Foxes are still riding high at the top.

Craig Shakespeare's side travel to Manchester City this weekend, but they still have two fixtures remaining at the King Power Stadium - starting with Tottenham on May 18 before the visit of Bournemouth three days later.

With their Premier League status secured courtesy of the 3-0 victory over Watford last weekend, the Midlands club can enjoy their final three games this season with their sights set on a top-half finish.

The club's groundsmanager John Ledwidge has been cut the club crest into the centre circle

But while Shakespeare puts his squad through their paces at their Belvoir Drive training base, the club's groundsmen have been busy perfecting  their latest design at the home ground. 

Leicester's performance against the Hornets last Saturday was every bit as immaculate as the playing surface, with an eye-catching design from chief groundsman Joe Ledwidge receiving plaudits for the state of the pitch heading into the summer break.

The club have developed a reputation for entertaining their opponents on surfaces akin to a bowling green, with the designs on show during last season's surge to their first domestic league title catching the eye just as much as the side's displays.

Having acknowledged the praise for his circular-themed offering against Walter Mazzarri's side, Ledwidge has taken his love for pitch patterns to the next level - by fashioning the club crest in the centre circle. 

Ledwidge and his team were hosting New Ground Technology for a European Stadium and Safety Management Association (ESSMA) workshop on Wednesday, and the Leicester groundsmanager was eager to use the equipment out on the pitch.

After several hours of careful trimming, the 'Van Gogh of football pitches' revealed his latest masterpiece, with the intricate details of the club's circular crest, complete with the face of a fox and 'Leicester City Football Club', cut into the surface. 

The Foxes will soon be dethroned as Premier League champions, but the club appear determined to end the season with the accolade for Grounds Team of the Year.

Aston Villa scooped the award last season despite relegation to the Championship, but Leicester - along with Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham were highly recommended.

3 hours ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Easily the best pitch design I've seen. That looks like the perfect mirror image of our badge.

What? The spelling is backwards?! Sack them all now! :angry:

4 hours ago, Darkon84 said:

Bloody killjoys. That's absolute horseshit. If a linesman can't look across a line and make a decision, and needs lines on the pitch to do his job, then he's in the wrong job. I mean, what do they do if the players aren't actually on a line when they need to make a call? That's right, they have to make a decision themselves, and they should be able to regardless of pitch designs. Bastards.

Have you ever officiated a football game?

On the topic of pitches - I'm intrigued by the blokes that come out with multiple lawnmowers immediately after a game. Can grass growth that quick in 90 mins? Many of us aspire to a ride on mower and these chaps have little ones - where is the fun in that! 

1 hour ago, Isle of Wight Fox 86 said:

Have you ever officiated a football game?

Yes. And to be quite honest, at ground level the cut of the grass makes little difference. It doesn't look like it does from 80ft up in the air. On the occasions I did that I confess I was watching players, not grass. The cut of the pitch seems almost irrelevant to me, given the pace of the game. 

9 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

They are stopping any pitches having anything other than vertical lines next season as apparently diagonal lines on the pitch make referees not be able to do their job

Over complicated offside rules are the problem they get missed, interfering with play, first phase, second phase, there's too much for the linesman to be looking at. Simplify the rules and there will be less blatant mistakes that, lets be honest, even the partially sighted can see. 

could we still have "classic" vertical lines but elaborate inbetween them?

maybe the premier league can stretch to birds eye view lap top screens for an off pitch linesman to study.

chuck in a ruler and problem solved!

At this point they may as well just microchip all the players and set up lasers at the side of the pitch that can judge offside decisions correctly 100% of the time

Funny thing is I can actually see that happening in the future, maybe not microchipping players directly, but in their shirts or something

12 hours ago, BigWesMorgan said:

Arsenal groundsmen have topped us i'm afraid...

aaJtF9Xq.jpg.23e0509db5f4fd21dbecad0852c938bc.jpg

haha qualitylol

i love seeing "wenger out" in the comments on FB posts that have no relevance to football whatsoever! U.S politics? Wenger out will be in there!

Archived