Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

Riyad Mahrez - The great Artist

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We paid the price that his previous club agreed to, whether it was peanuts or not is immaterial. If Man City want him they have to pay the asking price.

Of course.

I do wonder how it turns out this summer though. Do you really want to go through that crap for the third time though?

7 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Of course.

I do wonder how it turns out this summer though. Do you really want to go through that crap for the third time though?

If there was millions of pounds at stake I would.

9 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Love him but I can now see him downing tools purely to drive his value down. 

Probably end up at Stoke then he can live his dream there ...Champions league with them everyday...Big clubs don't do mard arsed t##ts....

Edited by Bozman
because i could

8 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

C'mon we bought him for 3 peanuts. I agree with the owners for not letting themselves being bullied especially so late in the window but we can't we realistically expect a 90M bid for him, be it in the summer or whenever. That'd be insane. If any club splashes +65M (assuming he has a blinder in the next 4 months (which I doubt honestly) then sell. The sooner he's gone the better. Can't stand another shit like yesterday.

What we bought him for is irrelevant. It's been said a few times this month that the price is £100m. Man City come in at half that with nearly no time to sort a replacement, it was obviously going to be knocked back. Given the market at the moment, the asking price is reasonable (no way is he worth less than van dijk given the premium on flair players that has always existed, nor 90m less than Coutinho), so man city can pay it or **** off. He wants out, but the agreement will have been at a position that's right for the club. Half a packet of digestive biscuits the day the window closes is obviously not right for the club. If he doesn't like it he shouldn't have signed the new contract after the title winning season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

If there was millions of pounds at stake I would.

We don't need the millions. It makes little sense from a business point of view to keep hold on a player who wants out. If he feels that they club won't let him go, he'll lose his motivation (don't care if he signed a new contract or if it is fair. Football has its own rules and it's beside the point) and he won't perform at his highest level. The dressing room is affected by the situation which in return will cause a dip in the team's performances too. A lower place on the table makes us let less attractive and it will be even more difficult to attract good players.

I understand the hard line for this window but I highly doubt they'll hang on the 90M this summer.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

We don't need the millions. 

That very generous of you considering it isn't your money.

£30 million is more than we paid for Slimani who was our record signing at the time. Maybe we won't get £90 millions in the summer but we'll get more than 65 and we've laid down a marker that we won't be ripped off.

• Like 2

We have a good chance if finishing 7th and getting to europe... we cant be allowing him to go now.

What did is agent think was gpibg to happen.    Mahrez should get a new agent... they are playing with his mond

Good that the owners stood up...

We should send the nessage tgst players must honour contracts... he wasnt offering to give his wages back

Just now, Webbo said:

That very generous of you considering it isn't your money.

£30 million is more than we paid for Slimani who was our record signing at the time. Maybe we won't get £90 millions in the summer but we'll get more than 65 and we've laid down a marker that we won't be ripped off.

Of course the owners didn't do it for the money but to make a point.

Point taken, Now let us evaluate what he's really worth on the market at the end of the summer, considering the position of the club, his stats, his state of mind (unchanged I guess). I too am fairly certain t we'll never get 90M and he'll go this summer for about the same price ManCity asked for this window.

Looks like Man City tried for Riyad in the summer too!

Everybody knows we were trying but we cannot afford, in this moment, this amount of what they are asking. I understand perfectly.

"We tried to do it in the summertime, we tried to do it now, but like summer, they locked the door and we can go to the summer and holidays.

1 minute ago, chapero82 said:

Looks like Man City tried for Riyad in the summer too!

Everybody knows we were trying but we cannot afford, in this moment, this amount of what they are asking. I understand perfectly.

"We tried to do it in the summertime, we tried to do it now, but like summer, they locked the door and we can go to the summer and holidays.

There is no way they bid the 50 million we wanted in the summer. 

What he means is, we approached them with a crap proposal in the summer and they said no then aswell

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

We don't need the millions. It makes little sense from a business point of view to keep hold on a player who wants out. If he feels that they club won't let him go, he'll lose his motivation (don't care if he signed a new contract or if it is fair. Football has its own rules and it's beside the point) and he won't perform at his highest level. The dressing room is affected by the situation which in return will cause a dip in the team's performances too. A lower place on the table makes us let less attractive and it will be even more difficult to attract good players.

I understand the hard line for this window but I highly doubt they'll hang on the 90M this summer.

Depends what kind of precedent you want to set for when bids come in from bigger clubs. If they know they can just make any offer and we'll accept because we're worried about having a disgruntled squad member, then we'll slowly end up losing our best assets one by one until we're a lower mid table side with no ambition of being anything other than that ever again. I'd personally rather we kept our dignity as a club even if Mahrez never performs well for us again.

37 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Depends what kind of precedent you want to set for when bids come in from bigger clubs. If they know they can just make any offer and we'll accept because we're worried about having a disgruntled squad member, then we'll slowly end up losing our best assets one by one until we're a lower mid table side with no ambition of being anything other than that ever again. I'd personally rather we kept our dignity as a club even if Mahrez never performs well for us again.

I don't think it has something to do with dignity. It's more hard line business with taking the risk of disrupting the whole team just to make a point. On the other hand if you give in too easily everyone would make a fuss to get transferred.

I understand the owners point of view but if there was some unspoken agreement about letting him go if an acceptable offer comes and if the value of this "acceptable offer" changes every window, then you have a problem. The thing is that players could now insist to have a buy-out clause in their contract.

I'm not advocating Mahrez and not speaking about this window, just genuinely trying to find an acceptable solution to get the best of a wantaway player without being shafted on the way. Crap like "let him rot in the reserves", "he should never play again" doesn't interest me.

Edited by ZeGuy

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

I don't think it has something to do with dignity. It's more hard line business with taking the risk of disrupting the whole team just to make a point. On the other hand if you give in too easily everyone would make a fuss to get transferred.

I understand the owners point of view but if there was some unspoken agreement about letting him go if an acceptable offer comes and if the value of this "acceptable offer" changes every window, then you have a problem. The thing is that players could now insist to have a buy-out clause in their contract.

I'm not advocating Mahrez and not speaking about this window, just genuinely trying to see which solution could be ideal so we get the best of a wantaway player without being shafted on the way. Crap like "let him rot in the reserves", "he should never play again" doesn't interest me.

Therein lies the problem - it does. It's a problem created in no small part by the club who were bidding for him yesterday.

Like you say, the challenge will now be getting the best out of him until we do get a satisfactory bid. But it's one we've successfully dealt with before, and I'm sure we will again. Both the club and Mahrez need that to happen for there to end up being a resolution both parties are happy with.

20 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

I'm not advocating Mahrez and not speaking about this window, just genuinely trying to find an acceptable solution to get the best of a wantaway player without being shafted on the way. Crap like "let him rot in the reserves", "he should never play again" doesn't interest me.

Roma's offer was unacceptable.  Mahrez still thought we should accept it

This offer was unacceptable considering the time, Mahrez again wants us to do him a favour

I dont really think we're in any gray area.  Mahrez gets annoyed because nobody is seriously bidding for him.  Man City was the closest to being serious but it was only a desperate last minute bid

There has not yet been a point where we've turned down an acceptable offer.  Mahrez is not getting the bids he wants from other clubs, its not we who are mis-treating him, they are undervaluing him

So as a wantaway player its ridiculous to kick off unless people genuinely want to buy you and pay the going rate

I dont think there is anything complex in this situation.  I dont think the owners would refuse to sell at a reasonable price and they havent yet.