Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Good news for our brexiteer friends' arguments i guess. 

Brexit could blow €20bn hole in EU budget, warns European commissioner

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/29/brexit-blow-20bn-hole-eu-budget-european-commissioner

Good news for the UK and their negotiators.

3 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

So regressive that the countries championed by the left as the most progressive in the world generally have a higher rate than us?! Bizarre.

Increasing it would probably bring in huge amounts of revenue as its a tax few can avoid as collected at POS.

To be honest as cold food does not have VAT and energy is a lower rate, really you are taxing non essential luxury items like the latest 65 inch TV, that seems pretty fair to me. Again as annoying as VAT on petrol is, having a car is a luxury item and if we can afford to pay for the superb nationalised rail system surely that would be worth it.

Well they could start by taxing newspapers sure we would all agree that is fair and reasonable

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

Shelter and other social services and charities have been warning and highlighting this for the past two or three years but always dismissed as scaremongering. Some politicians know sweet FA about what is gappening outside their little world.

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Buce said:

Austerity UK.

A Banana Republic without the fvcking bananas.

Just imagine what the austerity will be like when we actually have to implement it properly rather than just borrowing less like we do now.

Genuinely scares me.

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It may surprise some of you but i very rarely agree with polly toynbee.

lol

Yeah I bet, I often disagree with Richard Littlejohn and Douglas Murray as well. Honest. 

Guest MattP

Caroline Flint saying Labour committed to leaving single market and controlling immigration. 

We really do need some clarity on this from someone on the front bench. 

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Caroline Flint saying Labour committed to leaving single market and controlling immigration. 

To be fair Johnny Mac had said it pretty consistently.

Mind you it doesnt really matter anyway.  If we have another election in 6 months, 12 months, 2 years or the full 5, Labour wont win.

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

lol

Yeah I bet, I often disagree with Richard Littlejohn and Douglas Murray as well. Honest. 

I did say you'd be surprised! I find she usually follows a line of non-logical thinking to reach ill thought out conclusions. This time she was bang on. 

1 minute ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Mind you it doesnt really matter anyway.  If we have another election in 6 months, 12 months, 2 years or the full 5, Labour wont win.

Why so sure?

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

They want to leave the single market but have all the benefits of it despite being told there's no chance of it. lol

And people call brexiters delusional. :nigel:

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

He has, but we now have motions and commitments from so many Labour MP's to stay in the single market, it's absolutely outrageous given they stood on a manifesto effectively to leave it just weeks ago.

It's about time they stopped this "jobs first" bullshit rhetoric and actually told us what they support. 

If May hadn't been such a coward in the campaign this was there to be exposed. It's the biggest open goal in politics and she didn't just miss it, she didn't even put her kit on to walk onto the pitch. 

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

They want to leave the single market but have all the benefits of it despite being told there's no chance of it. lol

And people call brexiters delusional. :nigel:

And then says it's Boris who wants to ha e his cake and eat it. 

It's beyond belief. 

If that EU commissioner is right we're 10% of the yearly budget being as the yearly budget is roughly 190 billion. They're going to lose that anyway. Not sure how that will help us in negotiations. 

It's not like we're offering to keep paying that, unless we don't go for a hard Brexit, in which case we'll pay like Norway does for tariff free access to the Single Market.

I mean if you were negotiating with someone with 190 quid, and you told them you were taking away 20, I'm unsure how that would give you leverage over that person.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Liz Kendall on This Week tonight, the day just gets better.

We just need Esther McVey on QT and it's a full set.

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

He has, but we now have motions and commitments from so many Labour MP's to stay in the single market, it's absolutely outrageous given they stood on a manifesto effectively to leave it just weeks ago.

It's about time they stopped this "jobs first" bullshit rhetoric and actually told us what they support. 

If May hadn't been such a coward in the campaign this was there to be exposed. It's the biggest open goal in politics and she didn't just miss it, she didn't even put her kit on to walk onto the pitch. 

If this election and what's followed has taught us anything, it's that manifestos mean jack shit.

32 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Why so sure?

Because Corbyn (as well as he's done) will always turn off large parts of the electorate and as its virtually impossible to overthrow him for the leadership, he'll be there for the forseeable future.

This is probably as good as it would get for

him in terms of numbers.

The election campaign and subsequent own goals and gaffs from May and the Government truly are on a scale that belong only in satire, yet they were still the largest party by a significant margin and their vote share was ridiculously high.

The Tory party could not be any worse than they are right now yet still, Labour couldnt overthrow them.

That's basically why i'm so sure.

Edited by Realist Guy In The Room
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MattP said:

Liz Kendall on This Week tonight, the day just gets better.

We just need Esther McVey on QT and it's a full set.

She has a very full set.