Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

That the cute way the poor go "well at least we have love #hugs" to get through the day? :whistle:

Yup, probably.

But it comes down on everyone's head eventually, rich or poor. Sometimes it takes a whole life and only happens at the end, sometimes it happens before...but everyone has something happen to them to figure it out at some point.

Edited by leicsmac

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yup, probably.

But it comes down on everyone's head eventually, rich or poor. Sometimes it takes a whole life and only happens at the end, sometimes it happens before...but everyone has something happen to them to figure it out at some point.

Sounds like some bible bashing rhetoric to keep people in line tbh.

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yup, probably.

Only people with enough money, don't worry about money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Sounds like some bible bashing rhetoric to keep people in line tbh.

Nah, definitely don't go in for organised religion as they do like to (as you say) keep folks in line. People should be free to believe and live as they want (barring stepping on other people) and I always thought it was a bit arrogant to think we were somehow a chosen species that a deity spoke to anyway.

My point is that folks often view money as the be all and end all right up to the point life tends to throw them something proving it isn't. It's interesting when that happens how quickly they change their tune.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

There's something in that. Above point still stands, though.

I agree but it's easier to see when money doesn't control your existence. I've lived hand to mouth and at that point, it was all about money.

5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

As kids we don't - and that's a stage when we have relatively nothing.

Don't we? Who worries about having the right trainers or designer labels? It's not most adults.

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

But money itself and the need for it? Not a priority for a 12 year old is it.

Not sure where you went school but that was not my experience.

25 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Not sure where you went school but that was not my experience.

Showing your age Webbo... those under 50 wouldn't have been sweeping chimney's at 12. Most a kid would have is a paper round and that was pocket money. 

Lets face it - if someone else made the point, you wouldn't have challenged would you?

37 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Showing your age Webbo... those under 50 wouldn't have been sweeping chimney's at 12. Most a kid would have is a paper round and that was pocket money. 

Lets face it - if someone else made the point, you wouldn't have challenged would you?

I think you're imagining something that isn't there, I don't make a point of disagreeing with you.

Kids, in my experience ,are the biggest snobs there are. If you don't want people to disagree with you, don't post stuff.

On 01/07/2017 at 09:30, The Guvnor said:

I admire your resolution, but come on really, did they not listen to David Cameron pre vote, or any of the Brexit campaigners debates, and there were plenty. The leavers you are referring to may have had those individual elements as their primary reasons for wanting to leave but there was no ambiguity at all on leaving the single market and the customs union, this has to be the single most annoying thing continuously spouted by those who voted to remain.  

On 01/07/2017 at 10:12, Innovindil said:

We were told loudly and repeatedly that leaving the eu meant leaving the single market and customs union. Anyone even suggesting a vote for brexit didn't mean a vote to leave these things is living in cuckoo land. 

There isn't a soft or hard or poached or fried brexit. There's just brexit, and there's a remainers stayit. 

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_582ce0a0e4b09025ba310fce

A little late, but just thought I would put this link up that shows the Brexiteers including Farage stating the benefits of the Norway model and staying in the single market.

We were fed so much crap in the "debate" and the reality of the situation bears no relation to the Brexit Utopia we were promised.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm coming off here for a bit - this thread. I keep getting into wars of words after which neither side have moved an inch. I fundamentally disagree not just with policy but what the tories actually stand for and the far right (not that kind of far right) tories on here have views i find frankly disturbing. I suspect we all realise in reality that a middle ground needs to be reached but none of us appears willing to search for it. I just can't waste any more time trying to explain that budget surplusses are devices used to stop a growing economy overheating rather than a device which can be used to repay debt. Tories on here had probably never mentioned the deficit in their lives until osborne talked about it yet now it's more important than making sure our kids get educations and our hospitals have nurses. I find this politics based on misinterpretation of economics abominable. There is a group of people on here that can watch a tower block full of peoole die because of budget cuts but still think we should cut even further. There is a reason the tory party are known as the nasty party. 

It's time for change. 

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm coming off here for a bit - this thread. I keep getting into wars of words after which neither side have moved an inch. I fundamentally disagree not just with policy but what the tories actually stand for and the far right (not that kind of far right) tories on here have views i find frankly disturbing. I suspect we all realise in reality that a middle ground needs to be reached but none of us appears willing to search for it. I just can't waste any more time trying to explain that budget surplusses are devices used to stop a growing economy overheating rather than a device which can be used to repay debt. Tories on here had probably never mentioned the deficit in their lives until osborne talked about it yet now it's more important than making sure our kids get educations and our hospitals have nurses. I find this politics based on misinterpretation of economics abominable. There is a group of people on here that can watch a tower block full of peoole die because of budget cuts but still think we should cut even further. There is a reason the tory party are known as the nasty party. 

It's time for change. 

I'm with you politically but there's always going to be people who have opposing views no matter what, for a whole variety of reasons. You just have to grit your teeth and accept it.

Edited by Lionator

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It's time for change. 

:appl:

5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It's time for change. 

:appl:

How did a tower block full of people die because of budget cuts? They died because the council spent £10 million putting cladding and insulation on the outside of their homes. If they hadn't spent that money then this wouldn't have happened.