Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

30 minutes ago, Buce said:

All subjective opinion.

Interesting how one poll is 'cherry picked' but yours is valid.

i never said that, opinion polls are snapshot of views at a period of time from a limited sample of people. They're an educated guess at best. It's just that the last poll got so much excitement going I thought you'd all enjoy this one as well.

• Like 1

I cannot get excited as to whether or not there has been a slight shift towards Remain.

There has clearly NOT been a massive shift towards Remain - and that's the only thing that would bring it back into play politically.

Unless that happens, the debate remains one of Hard Brexit v. Soft Brexit, with all the issues wrapped up in that, surely?

It seems that legally we could probably reverse our Article 50 notice to leave, but politically we couldn't do so without another referendum or election, surely? And the govt wouldn't opt for that unless they were confident there had been a massive shift in public opinion. It's conceivable that could happen IF people start suffering major adverse consequences from Brexit (major job losses etc.) or IF the only deals on offer look bleak, but if so that will probably only become clear very late in the negotiations.

Even if the UK was prepared to reverse its Brexit stance at the last minute (unlikely), would the EU accept that? Legally they might have to, but politically/financially they'd surely charge a heavy price after all the disruption caused?

More likely, IF there is some shift towards Remain in the polls, it will strengthen the hand of the Soft Brexit people who want to stay close to the single market & customs union and encourage the Tory Remainer rebels in parliament.

48 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I see Nadine Dorries seems to have crossed the line into madness.

My thoughts are with her family at this difficult time

Some of the people elected as mps - on all sides - beggar belief.

AVERAGE households now owe over £14k in unsecured debt. Over 8.3 MILLION people have problem debts. This isn't just the wasteful.

John McDonnell warns over 'alarming increase' in UK household debt

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/dec/27/uk-household-debt-john-mcdonnell-warns-alarming-increase?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Meanwhile, the world's richest 500 got £1TRILLION richer in ONE year.

World's richest 500 see their wealth increase by $1tn this year

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/dec/27/worlds-richest-500-see-increased-their-wealth-by-1tn-this-year?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Wake up people!

There'll always bea richest 500 people but they won't always be the same 500 people. People move up and down the league table. If someone was below the top 500 but then increased his wealth to overtake the person in 500th place then obviously the net wealth of the top 500 would have increased. It's a mathematical certainty.

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

AVERAGE households now owe over £14k in unsecured debt. Over 8.3 MILLION people have problem debts. This isn't just the wasteful.

John McDonnell warns over 'alarming increase' in UK household debt

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/dec/27/uk-household-debt-john-mcdonnell-warns-alarming-increase?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Meanwhile, the world's richest 500 got £1TRILLION richer in ONE year.

World's richest 500 see their wealth increase by $1tn this year

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/dec/27/worlds-richest-500-see-increased-their-wealth-by-1tn-this-year?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Wake up people!

So what's the solution Toddyman

12 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

So what's the solution Toddyman

Instead of borrowing (well creating but essentially the same thing in the balance sheet) to spend on qe, which only inflates stocks for the rich, spend into the real economy. 

8 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

More public sector debt simple

It's funny because I'm sure somebody around here has been saying all this for months :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I cannot get excited as to whether or not there has been a slight shift towards Remain.

There has clearly NOT been a massive shift towards Remain - and that's the only thing that would bring it back into play politically.

Unless that happens, the debate remains one of Hard Brexit v. Soft Brexit, with all the issues wrapped up in that, surely?

It seems that legally we could probably reverse our Article 50 notice to leave, but politically we couldn't do so without another referendum or election, surely? And the govt wouldn't opt for that unless they were confident there had been a massive shift in public opinion. It's conceivable that could happen IF people start suffering major adverse consequences from Brexit (major job losses etc.) or IF the only deals on offer look bleak, but if so that will probably only become clear very late in the negotiations.

Even if the UK was prepared to reverse its Brexit stance at the last minute (unlikely), would the EU accept that? Legally they might have to, but politically/financially they'd surely charge a heavy price after all the disruption caused?

More likely, IF there is some shift towards Remain in the polls, it will strengthen the hand of the Soft Brexit people who want to stay close to the single market & customs union and encourage the Tory Remainer rebels in parliament.

And we’re back I see...

Now i find all this talk of hard/soft Brexit a bit misleading, because I doubt there will be an acceptable ‘soft Brexit’ scenario available that the UK government and EU could reasonably agree to.

The two sides start too far appart, so in my mind the reality is the UK somehow miraculously gets everything it wants in a deal with the EU or we walk away (for a bit at least). A soft Brexit would be a fudge and placate nobody, there would still be issues from all sides.

In some respects I feel a soft Brexit would be viewed worse than simply overriding the referendum result and withdrawing article 50, because at least with that a government could sell its reasoning and not look a total loser. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42493529

Not really news to anyone following such things, but automation to widen wage inequality unless action is taken. Do the Tories on here really trust this government to make sure the benefits of automation are shared and not just concentrated in the hands of the few? Would you agree that old tory arguments about business profits being far more important than any other issue because business provides jobs are becoming increasingly redundant?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42493529

Not really news to anyone following such things, but automation to widen wage inequality unless action is taken. Do the Tories on here really trust this government to make sure the benefits of automation are shared and not just concentrated in the hands of the few? Would you agree that old tory arguments about business profits being far more important than any other issue because business provides jobs are becoming increasingly redundant?

I dont give a flying **** about inequality, if the lowest and least skilled are earning a living wage, why should it matter what the top are earning. The only way inequality comes into play, is when the lowest cannot afford to live. Despite all the guardian links and graphs to the contrary, i believe the poorest are no worse off than they ever have been. Are robots the new immigrants stealing all our jobs?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I dont give a flying **** about inequality, if the lowest and least skilled are earning a living wage, why should it matter what the top are earning. The only way inequality comes into play, is when the lowest cannot afford to live. Despite all the guardian links and graphs to the contrary, i believe the poorest are no worse off than they ever have been. Are robots the new immigrants stealing all our jobs?

If they aren't any worse off than how do you explain the food bank boom? Is it all down to bad fiscal management by the citizens using them?

57 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Homelessness, food bank use and living standards are all worsening considerably. Believe what you like but it doesn't change the fact that life is worse for the poor now than 10 years ago. 

46 minutes ago, Strokes said:

If you offered me free food, i would take it. Wouldnt you?

They are offering free food and I haven't taken it. I presume you haven't either. So your point is a bit crap.

2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Homelessness, food bank use and living standards are all worsening considerably. Believe what you like but it doesn't change the fact that life is worse for the poor now than 10 years ago. 

I believe what I see, not what I read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

They aren't, that's the problem.