Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

10 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I would have thought a knighthood for a retiring party leader was pretty standard.

And what about the 1922 committee?

You'd think a knighthood for TM's husband is pretty standard if it meant you could avoid any criticism of your beloved Tories.

Just now, toddybad said:

And what about the 1922 committee?

You'd think a knighthood for TM's husband is pretty standard if it meant you could avoid any criticism of your beloved Tories.

I was talking about Nick Clegg, he's a Lib Dem?

33 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I was talking about Nick Clegg, he's a Lib Dem?

The criticism is about the party doling out the awards, not the recipients.

Just now, toddybad said:

The criticism is about the party doling out the awards, not the recipients.

I thought the fact I said retiring party leader meant I was talking about a recipient.

The honours system is ridiculous and far to many time servers, failures and party donors get awards. The celebs that receive the awards only usually get them because it's good publicity for the govt. It's been going on now though for more than 100 years and has been done by all parties. To try and pretend this year year is any different is just faux outrage again and I'm not going to get involved in your pretence.

10 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I thought the fact I said retiring party leader meant I was talking about a recipient.

The honours system is ridiculous and far to many time servers, failures and party donors get awards. The celebs that receive the awards only usually get them because it's good publicity for the govt. It's been going on now though for more than 100 years and has been done by all parties. To try and pretend this year year is any different is just faux outrage again and I'm not going to get involved in your pretence.

I'm not convinced that I've shown any outrage, let alone faux outrage.

You're right about the honours system - I don't know enough about the history of honours but wouldn't be surprised if the move to handing them out like confetti is more recent than 100 years ago. 

I'd have said the same when labour were doing it but handing out honours to party staff such as the 1922 committee is ridiculous. 

Guest Kopfkino

Looks like Boris is finally getting the boot and moved somewhere he can think he is important but actually isn't. Tbh the prospect of a Theresa May 'domestic policy blitz' is frightening. Someone please just tell her not to bother with policy. The last thing anyone needs is policy from May, please no. Just lock her away and wheel her out to go to Brussels every so often.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/theresa-mays-cabinet-reboot-to-boot-out-up-to-5-ministers-2ndt358dn

Theresa May is set to fire up to a quarter of her cabinet and wants to offer Boris Johnson a new role as she prepares to launch 2018 with a domestic policy blitz designed to convince voters she can do more than Brexit.

May has decided to hold a reshuffle in January to bring in younger MPs after concluding her government needs a new year reboot.

Patrick McLoughlin, the party chairman; Justine Greening, the education secretary; Greg Clark, the business secretary; Chris Grayling, the transport secretary; and Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, have all been tipped for the chop by May’s aides.

Sajid Javid, the communities secretary, is also vulnerable, but May’s determination to put housing at the heart of her domestic agenda could save him.

Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, is tipped to take over the Cabinet Office role vacated when May’s closest cabinet ally Damian Green was forced out before Christmas, but the prime minister is not expected to give Hunt the title of first secretary of state.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I would have thought a knighthood for a retiring party leader was pretty standard.

Is it?

Cameron, Miliband, Brown, Blair etc. None of them have a knighthood. 

You’re banging on about outrage again but just because someone doesn’t agree with something doesn’t mean they’re outraged. 

I happen to think Nick Clegg getting a knighthood when he spent his time in power selling out all his principles makes a mockery of the whole thing. I’m not outraged though, i’m perfectly calm about it. 

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

Adonis slams bailout of private rail companies:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/30/chris-grayling-must-quit-says-lord-adonis-east-coast-line-bailout

I'd be interested to see how @Webbo et al justify the taxpayer paying 100's of millions bailing out billionaire owners.

Rail in this country is only for the wealthy - if we were serious about ordinary working peoples mobility and being able to compete in the labour market, rail prices need to be half of what they are and the rural community stations need re-opening to make rail a transport thats accessible. Taxes should be spent re-developing the network not so big business can profit out of basic needs of the people.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Rail in this country is only for the wealthy - if we were serious about ordinary working peoples mobility and being able to compete in the labour market, rail prices need to be half of what they are and the rural community stations need re-opening to make rail a transport thats accessible. Taxes should be spent re-developing the network not so big business can profit out of basic needs of the people.

Yeah, I saw the prices of season tickets yesterday and was agog. Over £13000 for a annual Cheltenham to London ticket! How on earth is that reasonable? It used to be that you could get from Leicester to London return via national express coaches for under £20 and over £150 by train if you didn't advance book. Madness.

Edited by Guest

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

lol

So says the bloke who buys motorbikes for fun that must cost 12 grand new?!

#hyprocritesrus.com

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

lol

#hyprocritesrus.com

Actually my bike cost 18 grand new but thats got nothing to do with ordinary people being able to access and afford rail services across the country so they can compete for labour and employment? 

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan
Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Actually my bike cost 18 grand new but thats got nothing to do with ordinary people being able to access and afford rail services across the country so they can compete for labour and employment? 

Aha! 18 grand...

Spot on!

8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Tbh the prospect of a Theresa May 'domestic policy blitz' is frightening. Someone please just tell her not to bother with policy. The last thing anyone needs is policy from May, please no. Just lock her away and wheel her out to go to Brussels every so often.

Love this. The authoritarian Anglican bullshit she seems to come up with is weird. Hope she does it just to illustrate what a mentalist she is.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

#hyprocritesrus.com

?????

But he isn't exploiting the needs of others in the process. I'd also suggest that such a purchase is for pleasure as opposed to the necessity of a non prohibitive and at the very least, concessional or subsidised rail network. What's your point?

Guest Col city fan
7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Not sure what your point is Col and where you get off calling me a hypocrite?

I simply find it amusing that you’re banging on about the rights of the working man, in relation to travel, whilst having an 18 grand bike sat in your garage that I assume you use just for fun and to pull stunt wheelies?

Youre hardly Wedgewood Benn are you Nick?

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I simply find it amusing that you’re banging on about the rights of the working man, in relation to travel, whilst having an 18 grand bike sat in your garage that I assume you use just for fun and to pull stunt wheelies?

Youre hardly Wedgewood Benn are you Nick?

That's like saying you have to be black to oppose racism.

Guest Col city fan
6 minutes ago, Buce said:

No it isn’t. It just reminds me of ‘two jags’

lol

Edited by Col city fan

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

I think he's mistaken me for somebody who only holds political opinions that suit their own interests.

Hmm, theres a name for those people... 

• Like 1