Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

25 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Your 3 guesses would in my view all be wrong - although there may be something in your last comment.

Labour members are not more likely to have those opinions than tory members? I doubt it.

Political party members aren't typical of the public anyway, they're a self selecting group, they're obviously going to have strong opinions about things a lot of us don't care about.

39 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Members of different parties have different opinions its hardly a surprise. I'd guess that most labour members think that anyone who earns more than them is undeserving, any paper that doesn't support their opinion should be banned, anyone who voted for brexit is a racist. You can pick and choose which questions to ask to get the headline you want.

BTW I reckon traditional labour voters rather than member are more likely to support the death penalty.

This thing about higher earners. It's a falsehood (I won't deal with the others two in the first para as they're a bit silly from somebody who agrees with those that agitate about quislings, mutineers and the like).

The left wants to see equity of opportunity, not precisely equal pay. I said yesterday, I don't think somebody earning a few hundred grand for running a significant organisation is a problem, it's when companies make billions, pay their chief exec £20million but most of their staff get paid minimum wage and then receive in-work benefits that I have an issue. 

I earn a decent living and my career is on the up, I make the arguments I do because I want people to be put first, not because it will make me better off. 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Labour members are not more likely to have those opinions than tory members? I doubt it.

Political party members aren't typical of the public anyway, they're a self selecting group, they're obviously going to have strong opinions about things a lot of us don't care about.

That's not what you said though is it?  You said most Labour members think those things. A flippant and rather immature exaggeration that adds nothing and winds people up.

This is why people weren't against the thread being closed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

This thing about higher earners. It's a falsehood (I won't deal with the others two in the first para as they're a bit silly from somebody who agrees with those that agitate about quislings, mutineers and the like).

The left wants to see equity of opportunity, not precisely equal pay. I said yesterday, I don't think somebody earning a few hundred grand for running a significant organisation is a problem, it's when companies make billions, pay their chief exec £20million but most of their staff get paid minimum wage and then receive in-work benefits that I have an issue. 

I earn a decent living and my carer is on the up, I make the arguments I do because I want people to be put first, not because it will make me better off. 

I've never called anyone a quisling or a mutineer so don't try and pin that on me. I've never called anyone a cuck either, I don't even know what one is, although I'd guess it's not a compliment.

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Labour party membership is 5 times higher than tory membership (around 500,000 to 100,000 I believe - off the top of my head) though so more likely to encompass a broader range of views.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I've never called anyone a quisling or a mutineer so don't try and pin that on me. I've never called anyone a cuck either, I don't even know what one is, although I'd guess it's not a compliment.

A cuck is somebody that's been cuckholded. If your wife regularly sleeps with another guy quite openly and you just accept it you've been cuckholded.

It's not exactly complimentary, no, though is more a descriptor than a cuss imo. 

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

That's not what you said though is it?  You said most Labour members think those things. A flippant and rather immature exaggeration that adds nothing and winds people up.

This is why people weren't against the thread being closed.

I've just re read my comment and I did say most when I meant more, I'm sorry for that. I was commenting on this headline

Tory members 'a breed apart' from other main parties, study finds
Poll shows Conservative grassroots more supportive of the death penalty, obedience to authority and a hard Brexit

The implication was that tory members are authoritarian hangers and floggers. The point of posting the article was to score points so lets not pretend it's me who's picking on innocent labour supporters.

6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

A cuck is somebody that's been cuckholded. If your wife regularly sleeps with another guy quite openly and you just accept it you've been cuckholded.

It's not exactly complimentary, no, though is more a descriptor than a cuss imo. 

I'm sure ealingfox will be telling you off shortly.

16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I've just re read my comment and I did say most when I meant more, I'm sorry for that. I was commenting on this headline

The implication was that tory members are authoritarian hangers and floggers. The point of posting the article was to score points so lets not pretend it's me who's picking on innocent labour supporters.

If there's a study or any evidence which supports your remarks by all means post it, id be interested to read it.

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm sure ealingfox will be telling you off shortly.

What for? Telling you what a word means?

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

If there's a study or any evidence which supports your remarks by all means post it, id be interested to read it.

What for? Telling you what a word means?

If nobody's done the research I'm not likely to find anything to post. It's blatantly obvious from the statements of labour supporters on here and twitter and labour mps that a lot of them believe all of those things. A few tory MPs might believe brexit voters are all racist but it wouldn't be a widely held opinion.

He called tories on here cucks just yesterday, Your objections were conspicuous by their absence.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If nobody's done the research I'm not likely to find anything to post. It's blatantly obvious from the statements of labour supporters on here and twitter and labour mps that a lot of them believe all of those things. A few tory MPs might believe brexit voters are all racist but it wouldn't be a widely held opinion.

He called tories on here cucks just yesterday, Your objections were conspicuous by their absence.

By which I meant you're turkeys voting for Xmas. It isn't offensive imho

31 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I certainly wouldn't agree that it's blatantly obvious, I'm sceptical that it's even true in the first place. Again it's just an exaggeration intended to annoy people, with no substance whatsoever.

Left leaning posters have already registered their disagreement and id add my own - I don't think any of those things.

Didn't see it and don't care tbh. There's no need for name calling by anyone but it's easier to ignore than posts such as yours, particularly when you've been using social media in the last few years. 

Although I'll add it's equally stupid if you're only doing it to blur the discussion and wind people up. Attached to a proper post it's fairly easy to ignore. 

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

It was a disparaging remark.

How is that not offensive?

This is where liberalism is eating itself. It is not okay to be offended by every disparaging remark. Telling somebody they've been cuckholded is an opinion.

I think toddy's wrong about most things, he over reacts to anyone who disagrees with him, he's unnecessarily offensive and he's always looking for an argument, but he actually believes in something and he doesn't apologise for it. I have much more respect for that than all this pretend civility.

Both sides go too far on here sometimes, both sides turn a blind eye when it's one of their own doing the abuse. If we could just cut down the pretence and at the same time make it banter rather than abuse we'd all get on a lot better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

This is where liberalism is eating itself. It is not okay to be offended by every disparaging remark. Telling somebody they've been cuckholded is an opinion.

cuck

What does cuck mean?

A cuck is a derogatory slang term for a weak, effeminate, or inadequate man.

How is that not something to be offended about?

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

cuck

What does cuck mean?

A cuck is a derogatory slang term for a weak, effeminate, or inadequate man.

How is that not something to be offended about?

cuckold

UK     US   

a man whose wife deceives him by having asexual relationship with another man

I happen to agree with Stephen Fry on matters of offense and political correctness. It is not your right not to be offended and free speech must be an absolute right. The law may no longer agree with that standpoint but then the law is an ass (there I go again).  There are obviously limits to this - essentially direct threats and incitement to violence but the idea that nobody should offend anybody else is, frankly, absurd. 

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

cuckold

UK     US   

I happen to agree with Stephen Fry on matters of offense and political correctness. It is not your right not to be offended and free speech must be an absolute right. The law may no longer agree with that standpoint but then the law is an ass (there I go again).  There are obviously limits to this - essentially direct threats and incitement to violence but the idea that nobody should offend anybody else is, frankly, absurd. 

An absolute right with limits ? 

Now I’m confused ! 

Christ, this thread has descended into a farce. A true reflection of society in general and it's lack of acceptance for those who have different political beliefs to them. Some people will always be left, some will always be right, some will change due to their personal circumstances, we should be working towards a more open minded society and this thread needs to be way more open minded so that people actually contribute to it instead of skimming over it like I've done for the past few months.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

cuckold

UK     US   

You called us cucks, not cuckolds.

Just admit you didn't know the meaning of it, apologise, and I am sure we shall forgive you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

cuckold

UK     US   

But despite what I've just said about you it was unnecessary and it leads to escalation. If we end up just calling each other cvnts there's no point keeping this thread open.

• Like 1