Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Shame on the "strong and stable" Tory Leader. It is now clear that Theresa May and the Tories are actively promoting terrorism. Like any crime; follow the money. No she would rather look away and take the money for arms deals. I am sure that will be a great comfort to the next terrorist victim.

Report calls for public inquiry into Gulf funding of British extremism

Henry Jackson Society says Saudi Arabia is ‘undoubtedly at the top of the list’ of countries advancing terrorism

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/05/report-calls-for-public-inquiry-into-gulf-funding-of-british-extremism

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steven said:

Shame on the "strong and stable" Tory Leader. It is now clear that Theresa May and the Tories are actively promoting terrorism. Like any crime; follow the money. No she would rather look away and take the money for arms deals. I am sure that will be a great comfort to the next terrorist victim.

Henry Jackson Society says Saudi Arabia is ‘undoubtedly at the top of the list’ of countries advancing terrorism

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/05/report-calls-for-public-inquiry-into-gulf-funding-of-british-extremism

I thought we covered this already.  Lots of reasons not to piss off he Saudis, most of which are not about money.

Guest MattP
41 minutes ago, Steven said:

Have you totally missed about 5 hours of discussion yesterday? 

If you going to pop in from time to time to post a link to bash the Tories, at least check if it's already been discussed.

As for "actively promoting terrorism" - lol - Do you not think the situation with Qatar might be having a slight impact? Would hardly be smart of anyone now to completely destroy any influence they have with the current blockade in the region.

Edited by MattP

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

As for "actively promoting terrorism" - lol - Do you not think the situation with Qatar might be having a slight impact now? Would hardly be smart of anyone now to complereky destroy any influence they have with the current blockade in the region.

Let me get this straight. You are prepared to let Saudi financed terrorism occur on the basis that some influence might be needed in a religious and tribal dispute in the Middle East. 

Guest MattP
7 minutes ago, Steven said:

Let me get this straight. You are prepared to let Saudi financed terrorism occur on the basis that some influence might be needed in a religious and tribal dispute in the Middle East. 

And you think that it's just going to immediately stop when we release this report? 

Can't be arsed to write it out again but this is what I posted yesterday.....

The whole thing is rather worrying, it's clear Saudi Arabia has quite a few countries over a barrel and we appear to be towards the top of that list, the FC in the paper seemed to also have no issue in saying that if a country were to "block all ties" with Saudi they would have absolutely no issue whatsoever with giving up all information on potential terrorist activities and also making it then their business to work against us in the Middle East rather than being a supposed ally.

It's so easy to keep shouting to fob them off but the reality is obviously far different, for the immediate future it's almost imperative we keep some sort of influence there as the current crisis with Qatar could have wide ranging implications and only ISIS and Iran would be the winners if the Saudi's and Qatari's can't work together.

It looks like another minefield to negotiate in a World that's only going to get more and more unstable, a civil war in Saudi could make the Syrian one look almost inconsequential. It's not beyond reason now to say the alternative to this is more civil war, an eruption in the area and a global oil and gas supply crisis being the result. From what I gather the Saudi demands (along with the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt) are that Qatar curb diplomatic relations with Iran, cut ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and shut down Al Jazeera - we can laugh at them doing this but in reality it wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Qatar now seem to be holding out here almost in the expectation they can gain from the Arab Spring, this is a country that has ties to Hamas, has played host to Iran's RG and has has backed Al-Queda in Syria, to complicate it even further the US main base is in Qatar that they use for their current operation against IS. If this isn't sorted out Qatar will be expelled from the Gulf Council, possibly even the Arab league and that would drive them further into a coalition with Iran, that's the last thing anyone wants.

A report from our government is the last of our worries at the minute in terms of problems with Saudi Arabia. Yet again, we need to work out which side is the least best option to side with, it's a nightmare.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

And you think that it's just going to immediately stop when we release this report? 

A report from our government is the last of our worries at the minute in terms of problems with Saudi Arabia. Yet again, we need to work out which side is the least best option to side with, it's a nightmare.

I think you taught Pontius Pilate everything he knew.

Guest MattP
16 minutes ago, Steven said:

I think you taught Pontius Pilate everything he knew.

I'm bored of this already and I'm a very busy man today, I'll bow out now.

Saw a good one yesterday. A nurse wrote to her MP who happened to be a Tory Walker, why he had voted against

a bill to remove the cap on nurses salaries. He said it was Corbyns fault as he could not vote in favour of something which has Corbyns name to it.

He went on to call him a terrorist and a Marxsist and named other Labour leaders he liked more. One was Bevan who also was a Marxist. Also Blair and Brown. Really?

Has to be the lamest excuse so far.

41 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can't be arsed to write it out again but this is what I posted yesterday.....

The whole thing is rather worrying, it's clear Saudi Arabia has quite a few countries over a barrel and we appear to be towards the top of that list, the FC in the paper seemed to also have no issue in saying that if a country were to "block all ties" with Saudi they would have absolutely no issue whatsoever with giving up all information on potential terrorist activities and also making it then their business to work against us in the Middle East rather than being a supposed ally.

It's so easy to keep shouting to fob them off but the reality is obviously far different, for the immediate future it's almost imperative we keep some sort of influence there as the current crisis with Qatar could have wide ranging implications and only ISIS and Iran would be the winners if the Saudi's and Qatari's can't work together.

It looks like another minefield to negotiate in a World that's only going to get more and more unstable, a civil war in Saudi could make the Syrian one look almost inconsequential. It's not beyond reason now to say the alternative to this is more civil war, an eruption in the area and a global oil and gas supply crisis being the result. From what I gather the Saudi demands (along with the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt) are that Qatar curb diplomatic relations with Iran, cut ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and shut down Al Jazeera - we can laugh at them doing this but in reality it wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Qatar now seem to be holding out here almost in the expectation they can gain from the Arab Spring, this is a country that has ties to Hamas, has played host to Iran's RG and has has backed Al-Queda in Syria, to complicate it even further the US main base is in Qatar that they use for their current operation against IS. If this isn't sorted out Qatar will be expelled from the Gulf Council, possibly even the Arab league and that would drive them further into a coalition with Iran, that's the last thing anyone wants.

I really don't get this.

We demonise Iran for allegedly supporting terrorism (terrorism that doesn't directly affect us), but we turn a blind eye to the Saudis supporting terrorism that does affect us. Once again we are basing our foreign policy on what America wants.

53 minutes ago, Steven said:

Yeah because religious and tribal disputes in the middle east never have any wider impact do they?

Steven, do you think every report the government commissions should be released to the public regardless of the impact on our diplomacy?  What if the report tells us absolutely nothing we didn't know already?  What if the impact on our diplomacy means we have no idea what Saudi power brokers are thinking or doing in future?  Does that sound like a good outcome to publicly state the obvious?

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I really don't get this.

We demonise Iran for allegedly supporting terrorism (terrorism that doesn't directly affect us), but we turn a blind eye to the Saudis supporting terrorism that does affect us. Once again we are basing our foreign policy on what America wants.

You are correct - demonising Iran is nonsensical, and to extend that to Saudi would be more so.

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What?

I think the point is that the man didn't consider the pros and cons of removing the pay cap but simply voted against it just because Corbyn was involved and not for any sound economic or political reasons.

Do you have a source for this, @Rincewind?

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I think the point is that the man didn't consider the pros and cons of removing the pay cap but simply voted against it just because Corbyn was involved and not for any sound economic or political reasons.

Do you have a source for this, @Rincewind?

I would take it as read that anything Corbyn supports has not taken into account economic reasons.  See the Labour manifesto.

22 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Saw a good one yesterday. A nurse wrote to her MP who happened to be a Tory Walker, why he had voted against

a bill to remove the cap on nurses salaries. He said it was Corbyns fault as he could not vote in favour of something which has Corbyns name to it.

He went on to call him a terrorist and a Marxsist and named other Labour leaders he liked more. One was Bevan who also was a Marxist. Also Blair and Brown. Really?

Has to be the lamest excuse so far.

Whatever the party this is poor, a good idea is a good idea whoever proposes it, disagree if you like but not because you do not like who suggested it. Sadly far to many politicians from all sides choose to serve themselves rather than those who elected them. 

Also all this back and forth on here from those on the right and those on the left and lets be honest you are not going to change your views based on postings on a football forum but the arguments about Austerity and savings, cut backs etc think most of us get that but just IMVHO people should be more interested in how the money is being spent and the lack of accountability. We can all dig up charts, surveys, graphs to support our claims but do people honestly think public money is being spent wisely.

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would take it as read that anything Corbyn supports has not taken into account economic reasons.  See the Labour manifesto.

So a small scale Post Bank wasn't a good idea, IDS seems to think it would be. Works OK in France where on a small scale it generates 1 Billion Euros a year profit for the French government. 

11 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

At least they actually have a manifesto.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

lol "Who's that trip-trapping across my bridge?"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, katieakita said:

So a small scale Post Bank wasn't a good idea, IDS seems to think it would be. Works OK in France where on a small scale it generates 1 Billion Euros a year profit for the French government. 

Who cares?  What is it achieving exactly?  Seems a bit pointless to me.