Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

The threads gone from informative banter and debate on Brexit - discussion, rage and now seems to have settled on some kind of petty sore loser/sour grapes Trumpy-type petulance 

:blink:

I think they are just waiting for their newspaper to instruct the next line of attack, as their party has let them down again.

It won’t be long now.....

Guest MattP

What the above article actually says...

Falling petrol prices and a slower rise in the cost of food contributed to a drop in UK consumer price inflation during February.

The rate fell from 3% to 2.7%, the lowest figure since July 2017.

The fall eases pressure on the Bank of England to raise interest rates. There had been speculation it could raise rates at its meeting in May.

The figures suggest the squeeze on households, caused by rising inflation and stagnant wages, may be ending.

The ONS will publish the latest pay growth figures on Wednesday.

Economists expect those figures to show pay growth edged higher, to an annual rate of 2.6% in the three months to January.

And the situation could improve further this year, according to the Bank of England. It expects wages to grow more quickly than inflation.

All still going in the right direction.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

Wages are still falling. How is that the right direction?

The ONS will publish the latest pay growth figures on Wednesday.

Economists expect those figures to show pay growth edged higher, to an annual rate of 2.6% in the three months to January.

We only have to wait until tomorrow.

Guest Foxin_mad

Quote article.

And the situation could improve further this year, according to the Bank of England. It expects wages to grow more quickly than inflation.

24 minutes ago, Foxin_mad said:

Quote article.

Looking forward to the day my wages go up in real terms after I've spent the last 8 years taking the hit for the bankers. If I give up a days leave I can have 3% this year followed by two years of around 1.5% - so back to losing money. If I don't lose a days leave it'll be 1% for the next 3 years. What a lovely choice. I'm glad to be held personally responsible for the banking crisis in this way.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

You actually got any evidence for me from where I've asked you where I've changed my opinion or is it just going to be cheap sniping instead?

You'll note that my post was speculative. I'm speculating about what will happen and the position you'll take. Neither of us have future evidence to refute or show this at this time.

You've told us many times that it's about taking back control for you. As it stands we haven't taken back any control. Every red line we've set had been ignored. We need to see how things play out. But the negotiations so far hardly point to the hard brexit scenario you've hoped for being reached, do they? 

Edited by Guest

Guest MattP
Just now, toddybad said:

You'll note that my post was speculative. I'm speculating about what will happen and the position you'll take. Neither of us have future evidence to refute or show this at this time.

You've told us many times that it's about trading back control for you. As it stands we haven't taken back any control. Every red line we've set had been ignored. We need to see how things play out. But the negotiations so far hardly point to the hard brexit scenario you've hoped for being reached, do they? 

This is just complete nonsense, yet again. My personal red lines were quite clear, no jurisdiction of the ECJ over us after we leave and the ability to conduct our own independent trade, we are still on course to achieve this by the end of transition, if that changes I'll be the first to complain I promise you. I've asked you numerous times for evidence to negate this point and you can't provide it.

You are basically throwing your toys out the pram because most Brexiteers (and a lot of remainers it now appears) are happy with how the negotiations are going and you aren't because you've spent the last year or so nailing your colours to a promise that a soft Brexit will happen, a prediction that it now becoming obvious you were totally wrong on, it's pathetic, grow up.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is just complete nonsense, yet again. My personal red lines were quite clear, no jurisdiction of the ECJ over us after we leave and the ability to conduct our own independent trade, we are still on course to achieve this by the end of transition, if that changes I'll be the first to complain I promise you. I've asked you numerous times for evidence to negate this point and you can't provide it.

You are basically throwing your toys out the pram because most Brexiteers (and a lot of remainers it now appears) are happy with how the negotiations are going and you aren't because you've spent the last year or so nailing your colours to a promise that a soft Brexit will happen, a prediction that it now becoming obvious you were totally wrong on, it's pathetic, grow up.

And it’s not like he hasn’t changed his definition of soft brexit either, much to my amusement.

Guest Foxin_mad
13 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Looking forward to the day my wages go up in real terms after I've spent the last 8 years taking the hit for the bankers. If I give up a days leave I can have 3% this year followed by two years of around 1.5% - so back to losing money. If I don't lose a days leave it'll be 1% for the next 3 years. What a lovely choice. I'm glad to be held personally responsible for the banking crisis in this way.

At least you still have a job though. 

We can not sustain 3 or 4% pay rises each year, even if the economy was growing at 3-4% we would struggle to fund that for the public sector. 

At the end of the day no one forced Gordon to bail out the banks, he could have let them fail. I personally would let private institutions fail if they are badly managed. The government should have honoured peoples savings and no more. Gordon also failed to implement any regulation to stop the banks acting foolishly. 

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

We're on course to be in a customs union by another name. It is a soft Brexit we're heading for. I assure you if it wasn't the markets would have reacted.

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

And it’s not like he hasn’t changed his definition of soft brexit either, much to my amusement.

Genuinely bemusing, before these negotiations it was widely held by all sides that a hard Brexit was leaving the single market and customs union, a soft Brexit was staying in them. Now some of the same people are telling is staying in the common fisheries policy is now a soft Brexit, it's laughable.

Guest MattP
10 minutes ago, toddybad said:

We're on course to be in a customs union by another name. It is a soft Brexit we're heading for. I assure you if it wasn't the markets would have reacted.

You aren't even making sense anymore. The markets have already reacted to a Brexit that leaves both the single market and the customs union in case you didn't notice and that has barely changed.

55 minutes ago, Foxin_mad said:

Quote article.

Back to believing in forecasts 

Flip flop, flip flop

Guest Foxin_mad
Just now, Rogstanley said:

Back to believing in forecasts 

Flip flop, flip flop

Not at all, its only a matter of time before wages and productivity begin to increase with high employment and drying up of cheap eastern European labour. 

Do you not keep posting 'doom' forecasts on Brexit?

Fliperty Floperty Fliperty Floperty 

50 minutes ago, toddybad said:

There is a big difference, we can negotiate our own trade deals. Thats obvious.

3 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Wages still falling as Tory government fails to control inflation 

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43468504

Inflation is not targeted or managed by the government, it's managed by the Bank of England, which is politically independent.

2 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

Not at all, its only a matter of time before wages and productivity begin to increase with high employment and drying up of cheap eastern European labour. 

Do you not keep posting 'doom' forecasts on Brexit?

Fliperty Floperty Fliperty Floperty 

It has been "only a matter of time" for about seven years. Meanwhile wages have kept plummeting and business profits have increased.

How much more of this Tory failure will you accept before you start to question whether or not they really have any interest in increasing wages?

No I don't. It's a fact that economic forecasts on the impact of brexit are negative but I don't keep posting them no.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

There is a big difference, we can negotiate our own trade deals. Thats obvious.

If trade deals were the most important thing we wouldn't be leaving the EU would we? Even the levee campaign admitted it didn't talk about trade because it couldn't win basing an argument on that.

Years of underinvestment by the Tory government leaves Britain's roads - already the worst in the developed world - in desperately poor, deteriorating and often downright dangerous condition.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43407167

Edited by Rogstanley