Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Awful man, can’t wait for greater democracy in the Labour Party to deselect the tool.

Soon as you do you'll lose Barrow.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

As if. Bloke was about the only elected Labour MP who saw his majority decrease last election, without him I predict a majority of around 5 - 10% of the turnout. Remember this post.

We'll have a few quid on it.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Hang on a minute. 

In the last ten years Russia has annexed Crimea, invaded the Ukraine and started a war in Georgia and people still wonder why democratic countries that border it want to join NATO?

Whilst I agree russia has been a very 'bad actor' for many years, I think the role of the west after the fall of the Iron Curtain is not a particularly distinguished one.

With the wisdom of hindsight, the wallowing in the victory of the west by some, and the encouraging of states that made up the former Soviet Union to indulge in economic 'shock therapy' contributed to the rise of the oligarchs, and failed to raise the living standards of ordinary citizens of the former Soviet Union.

Gosh, well. When I posted on the David Icke about his endorsement of 'The protocols' the other day, I didn't expect it to pop up again so soon.

Fabulous to see such passionate defenders of the rights of jewish people on the right of the debate, with so many nuanced opinions on the subject of anti-racism, and such a warm-hearted support of identity politics. And not a hint of political opportunism anywhere. :thumbup:

Having just been pretty cynical and partisan (my apologies), I must say that Corbyn would have done far better to get on the front foot on anti-semitism long ago. He has a good record on anti-racism generally, and given he has enemies behind him as well as in front of him, this could well have been predicted. Many of the talents that worked for him as a principled backbencher (which he was, despite what Matt says), are not necessarily the skills that make a powerful and effective party leader.

Before TM called the election, I had written JC off as a leader who could never win power, but that campaign caused me to reconsider, and feel a twinge of guilt for buying the Blairite line. Much as I instinctively like someone who is prepared to stand up and be counted, I would swap some of that for some low political cunning and street smarts, every once in a while.

Anyway, I'm so heartened by all this anti-racist passion that I might go and complain about anti-Irish jokes on the joke thread again! Are you with me lads? :D

Edited by Vardinio'sCat

8 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Gosh, well. When I posted on the David Icke about his endorsement of 'The protocols' the other day, I didn't expect it to pop up again so soon.

Fabulous to see such passionate defenders of the rights of jewish people on the right of the debate, with so many nuanced opinions on the subject of anti-racism, and such a warm-hearted support of identity politics. And not a hint of political opportunism anywhere. :thumbup:

Having just been pretty cynical and partisan (my apologies), I must say that Corbyn would have done far better to get on the front foot on anti-semitism long ago. He has a good record on anti-racism generally, and given he has enemies behind him as well as in front of him, this could well have been predicted. Many of the talents that worked for him as a principled backbencher (which he was, despite what Matt says), are not necessarily the skills that make a powerful and effective party leader.

Before TM called the election, I had written JC off as a leader who could never win power, but that campaign caused me to reconsider, and feel a twinge of guilt for buying the Blairite line. Much as I instinctively like someone who is prepared to stand up and be counted, I would swap some of that for some low political cunning and street smarts, every once in a while.

Anyway, I'm so heartened by all this anti-racist passion that I might go and complain about anti-Irish jokes on the joke thread again! Are you with me lads? :D

You do realise by pointing out other people inconsistencies you’re also highlighting your own right? I mean you’re very sensitive towards stereotyping that causes offence but seem quite forgiving on this subject, which kind of makes a mockery of your upset on the Irish jokes?

Fwiw, I’m pleased the mural got whitewashed. I don’t think art should be destroyed for being offensive but people should be able to choose whether they see such material and this art was fixed in a public place and too controversial to be able to remain. I don’t see it as antisemitic but understand why others do.

I’d have no problem if this story moved on to the back burner but it’s hard to ignore the protests outside Parliament and the internal rage building inside. The Labour Party will do pretty well to keep its reputation in tact after this imo.

9 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

A) Why shouldn't right wingers be against racism?

B) Why is it opportunism to criticise Labour but not to criticise the Conservatives?

Guest MattP
10 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Excuse me? I haven't said he wasn't a principled backbencher at all. I said he had compromised his principles since taking the leadership, which he clearly has as he's now voting against things he used to support as a backbencher.

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Vote leave are going to be in a lot of trouble. 

Heard it all before with the other two investigations. Let's wait and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

One of the things in this makes me chuckle: 

But it added that the claim by employers that they would not attract more UK workers even if they raised wages, was "not credible".

Top banter. These businesses have said "even if we raise wages, we won't attract UK workers" 

What utter horseshit that is. Would I do a shit job for minimum wage? **** no. Would I do it for £25/hour? Possibly. You can't possibly tell me that all these people on minimum wage and zero hour contracts wouldn't jump ship if another shit job was offering more cash. Eu workers are an easy way to offer the minimum and get away with it, the very second these places struggle finding workers, wages will go up. 

18 hours ago, MattP said:

Do you still really believe he's honest and sticks to his principles? 

There a literally a video about 10 posts up of him being called out for his blatant lies, he campaigned for remain (albeit half heartedly) against 30 years of principles because his cabinet threatened to resign.

The whole honest, principled Jeremy is as bollocks, just like the kinder, gentler politics was. Just like the "I'll never nominate a peer" was. The guy is completely full of shit. 

They are all full of Shit,

trying to argue Political Points,and expected better  Translation of mandate,

is Just  trying to sift through that Shit,hoping to find some promised Rose-Garden at the bottom,

but wading through the Sess pit, always leaves the stink of deceit and hypocrisy,No Matter 

what righteous Political Stance one Jumps on.

Surprise, surprise

• May hinted that the government has now realised that setting up new customs arrangements after Brexit could take longer than expected. This is what she said in response to a question from the Conservative Nicky Morgan, who said HM Revenue and Customs told her Treasury committee that a new customs partnership with the EU could take five years to set up.

We are looking at different potential customs arrangements for the future in order to deliver on the commitments that we have made. We are now the point at being able to look in more detail with the European commission at some of those proposals. And I think it is fair to say that, as we get into the detail and as we look at these arrangements, then what becomes clear is that sometimes the timetables that have originally been set are not the timetables that are necessary when you actually start to look at the detail and when you delve into what it really is that you want to be able to achieve.

10 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Surprise, surprise

• May hinted that the government has now realised that setting up new customs arrangements after Brexit could take longer than expected. This is what she said in response to a question from the Conservative Nicky Morgan, who said HM Revenue and Customs told her Treasury committee that a new customs partnership with the EU could take five years to set up.

We are looking at different potential customs arrangements for the future in order to deliver on the commitments that we have made. We are now the point at being able to look in more detail with the European commission at some of those proposals. And I think it is fair to say that, as we get into the detail and as we look at these arrangements, then what becomes clear is that sometimes the timetables that have originally been set are not the timetables that are necessary when you actually start to look at the detail and when you delve into what it really is that you want to be able to achieve.

Not really a surprise. It’s the same in business when programmes of change take longer than first predicted.

The thing with Brexit is that it’s all unknown territory and not been done before, so there’s bound to be unexpected stuff crop up during the process.

It’ll be what it’ll be so just let them all get on with it best they can I say...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Not really a surprise. It’s the same in business when programmes of change take longer than first predicted.

The thing with Brexit is that it’s all unknown territory and not been done before, so there’s bound to be unexpected stuff crop up during the process.

It’ll be what it’ll be so just let them all get on with it best they can I say...

Problem being she had no need to start the click on article 50, she had no need to argue for a set deadline, she had no need to argue for a max 2-year implementation period. In fact the name implementation period is a joke as they'll be nothing to implement at that point.

Fair play for being Mr Zen though!

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Problem being she had no need to start the click on article 50, she had no need to argue for a set deadline, she had no need to argue for a max 2-year implementation period. In fact the name implementation period is a joke as they'll be nothing to implement at that point.

Fair play for being Mr Zen though!

:) Mate, you're far more informed on this than me and I'm a bit Que Sera Sera about it all.

The thing that bugs me a little bit about Brexit is how the government seem to get all the blame for trying to 'implement' something that the people voted for. Trust me when I say that Corbyn and Labour would also have made mistakes if they were in charge of it and I'd have exactly the same sympathy for them.

I genuinely believe that May, Davis and the rest of them are trying their best to do what the people have asked them to do. From afar, it looks like an almost impossible job to me and they'll never please all the people all of the time. 

I've no idea what the 'right' answer is and frankly I'm not that bothered. We vote for our politicians to do the right thing on our behalf and that's what they're paid to do. But they're also only human like you and I so they're bound to fvck it up from time to time. 

When it's all done and dusted, whatever the outcome, and whatever it looks like, we've all just got to get on with it. The rules of the game will no doubt change and then we've all got to do the best we can with the new cards we're dealt.

As I've said before, this is all a bit unprecedented and there's no previous rule book or guidelines for a Brexit so everyone's just making it up as they go along. For this reason alone I'm prepared to accept mistakes and misjudgments will happen and hope they 'learn by doing'. Either way, we're generally made of pretty strong stuff in this country so I've got every faith we'll be O.K. in the long run :thumbup: 

• Like 4

Guest Kopfkino
8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

:) Mate, you're far more informed on this than me and I'm a bit Que Sera Sera about it all.

The thing that bugs me a little bit about Brexit is how the government seem to get all the blame for trying to 'implement' something that the people voted for. Trust me when I say that Corbyn and Labour would also have made mistakes if they were in charge of it and I'd have exactly the same sympathy for them.

I genuinely believe that May, Davis and the rest of them are trying their best to do what the people have asked them to do. From afar, it looks like an almost impossible job to me and they'll never please all the people all of the time. 

I've no idea what the 'right' answer is and frankly I'm not that bothered. We vote for our politicians to do the right thing on our behalf and that's what they're paid to do. But they're also only human like you and I so they're bound to fvck it up from time to time. 

When it's all done and dusted, whatever the outcome, and whatever it looks like, we've all just got to get on with it. The rules of the game will no doubt change and then we've all got to do the best we can with the new cards we're dealt.

As I've said before, this is all a bit unprecedented and there's no previous rule book or guidelines for a Brexit so everyone's just making it up as they go along. For this reason alone I'm prepared to accept mistakes and misjudgments will happen and hope they 'learn by doing'. Either way, we're generally made of pretty strong stuff in this country so I've got every faith we'll be O.K. in the long run :thumbup: 

Hear hear Izzy. It's easy to forget the impossible situation they were put in and they were put in that situation because the people that created the problem soon ran off to earn obscene amounts of money, buy a fancy shed, and stick the knife in from behind a newspaper. 

42 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

27 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Hear hear Izzy. It's easy to forget the impossible situation they were put in and they were put in that situation because the people that created the problem soon ran off to earn obscene amounts of money, buy a fancy shed, and stick the knife in from behind a newspaper. 

My frustration of just how much bollocks they talk. They actually didn't come out of phase 1 with too bad a deal, but only because they have in on everything and went for the soft option. It seems patently obvious they're going as soft as they can whilst talking as hard as they can. It's painful to watch. 

Never a penalty by the way. Llalana had the ball.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

My frustration of just how much bollocks they talk. They actually didn't come out of phase 1 with too bad a deal, but only because they have in on everything and went for the soft option. It seems patently obvious they're going as soft as they can whilst talking as hard as they can. It's painful to watch. 

All politicians talk bollocks mate, it's in the job description.

It's painful to watch for you because you care so much and you have a strong opinion about it. For me and millions of others, we're just taking a passing interest in it all.

Phase 1, phase 2, hard, soft, blah, blah, blah, whatever. Just let me know when it's all done and what I have to do differently from then on.

I've said before that you should be involved in politics somehow. You're clearly very passionate about it...

Guest Kopfkino
15 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Never a penalty by the way. Llalana had the ball.

Tbh this hard/soft thing is also a load of bollocks. In trying to show the referendum failed to show the will of the people because it isn't quite as binary as the question asked on the ballot paper, we've now got these ludicrous binary labels whose meaning has been as fluid as any politicians promise ever. 

We're coming out of the single market, we're coming out of the customs union. That used to be called hard Brexit, now it's soft. 

Minor rant incoming. Tbh with you, I'm just bored and fed up with Brexit, I genuinely can't believe the pure obsession with it. FWIW, I didn't really care before the referendum, after the referendum I supported the decision and thought we should just get on with it, after the election I tried to get a bit more into it, but now I really just can't be bothered though I do try to . All I want is for Tony Blair, James O'Brien, JRM, and Farage to just shut the **** up and all go and fight each other in a cave somewhere. I don't get how people let it consume their days and I don't get why when I talk to any bastard I end up being asked my opinion on it. Is it any wonder so many of the general population are completely switched off to any of this and why they end up voting from a position of being poorly informed. It's just so tedious