Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Jesus wept toddy adding increased storage to coveri initial delays is hardly panic stations is it? The flow and amount we order will be the same, the time it takes to get here is increased. It’s logical, you are all ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Jesus wept toddy adding increased storage to coveri initial delays is hardly panic stations is it? The flow and amount we order will be the same, the time it takes to get here is increased. It’s logical, you are all ridiculous.

At any point have I suggested it is panic stations? I'm merely repeating what is pretty much the government line. You're the one getting upset about the government line and denying there's any possibility of a problem.

Me and toddy eat the same amount of food and order from the same supplier. They deliver next day every day pronto. The supplier announces next day delivery will be cancelled in march, I decide to to buy more and put some food in the freezer, toddy cries and does nothing. I attend toddy’s hysterical funeral in April still a fat fukker.

• Haha 2

Honestly don't know what people would prefer more, planning for a no deal brexit, just in case, or running out of medicine and having people die for the opportunity of saying "I told you so!". 

You guys are absolutely right. What a mess. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

At any point have I suggested it is panic stations? I'm merely repeating what is pretty much the government line. You're the one getting upset about the government line and denying there's any possibility of a problem.

My statements were aimed at @lifted*fox initially, I don’t bother reading most of your drivel these days. You responded to my response to him sweetheart x

Just now, Innovindil said:

Honestly don't know what people would prefer more, planning for a no deal brexit, just in case, or running out of medicine and having people die for the opportunity of saying "I told you so!". 

You guys are absolutely right. What a mess. lol

I’d like a bit of both.

25 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

For someone who voted Leave 'just to piss people off' you're getting awfully triggered and defensive about the state of Brexit m8. 

Nice you resorted to name calling as well fella, I thought we had a reasonable rapport on here but clearly not. 

What name calling? I’ve said nothing personal apart from calling general moaners bellends. You do just as much on a consistent basis. I don’t have issue with you on any front other than disagreeing with you politically. If you are too sensitive to take a bit of a stronger use of words perhaps you should use better language yourself sometimes. I thought I was being passionate like my bros :cool:

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

My statements were aimed at @lifted*fox initially, I don’t bother reading most of your drivel these days. You responded to my response to him sweetheart x

I always thought I came first

Guest MattP

The absolute state of Billy Bragg. Always had my suspicions about him, nice to have then confirmed. 

IMG_20180726_124241.jpg

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Because the Jews said so I think. 

All seems a bit pie in the sky to me though. 

Jews aren't an amalgamous group. Many are anti-apartheid and pro two-state. It's Israel's bastardised definition that says being an anti-racist is racist. But I do agree with you to a point. 

Edited by Sharpe's Fox

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Can anyone explain why calling out Israel as institutionally apartheid is antisemitic?

I'm genuinely worried that i'm anti-semitic and dont even know it.  I keep reading stories about Corbyn and labour being anti-semitic but I cant find myself agreeing with the condemnation.  Its either them or me, and I dont know enough about the ol' Israel situation not to doubt myself :S

They have finally gone away. The prime minister tried to get rid of parliament a few days early, but couldn’t muster the votes. There was so much bad news to bury, it would have been easier to scuttle off sooner: nothing is good news for her these days, so scores of written ministerial statements slipped out in the last couple of days, in the hope that no one would notice.

It’s a tradition – a bad one – used by all governments called “take out the trash day”, the last day of the session, with no time for MPs to summon ministers to explain highly controversial decisions. They hope to duck under the radar, or that the opposition will forget in the long six-week break.

On the final day, no fewer than 21 separate ministerial statements emerged, plus stacks of reports with embarrassing statistics. Another 18 statements had appeared in the days before, on a welter of subjects with opaque titles such as “home office update”, “schools update”, “teachers update”, “Department of Health update”, “housing policy” and more.

Traditionally, the dreariest titles hide the most controversial news, such as the innocuous-sounding “machinery of government” announcement: that’s the one that stripped Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab, of his negotiating role and transferred it to Olly Robbins at the Cabinet Office’s Europe unit. The timing misfired: it hit the decks just as the two of them were up before the Brexit committee, sitting awkwardly together.

The guess has to be that if it was good news, it would not have been sneaked out

Here are a few they hoped to skip past MPs: just after loud RAF centenary celebrations, BBC programmes with heroes recalled and a fly-past bringing central London to a standstill, out slipped a written statement saying both RAF Linton-on-Ouse and RAF Scampton were to be closed. RAF Scampton, home of the Red Arrows, is home to the RAF Heritage Centre. The Ministry of Defence was not eager to draw attention to another last-day report revealing a doubling of personnel seeking mental health support in the past decade, with long waits for treatment for veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.

The transport minister, Chris Grayling, snuck out a report that is no news to rail users: crush-hour overcrowding is worsening with too few carriages, some carrying two-and-a-half times more people than designed for.

Seven more courts are to shut, from Banbury to Fleetwood, whispered the justice secretary, David Gauke. Losing courts leaves great holes in communities, breaking the connection between justice and locality, forcing many to travel miles, with long court delays. Interesting note: the only one reprieved was Cambridge (a marginal seat), where the consultation yielded the most vociferous protests, something the city is good at.

A radical change to planning laws was smuggled out by the Department for Communities. Councils lose the right to block developments if they have failed to build their fair quota of affordable housing. Unscrutinised, who knows if this will be a gift for developers to build greenfield identikit executive homes wherever they want, however unaffordable? The local government association’s Tory chair says it “punishes local communities”. The guess has to be that if it was good news, it would not have been sneaked out.

Fracking got the green light, with shale company Cuadrilla permitted to drill in Lancashire, despite vigorous local protests. And Scotland will be shocked at the slippery way the MoD announced a stop to the contract for five Type 31e frigates to be built at Rosyth and on the Clyde, risking local jobs. This was once a sweetener to keep Scotland in the union: the Scottish Tory leader, Ruth Davidson, used it in her 2016 Holyrood election campaign, promising the order would definitely go to the Clyde. Not any more, because the MoD wanted them to be too cheap for anyone to be able build them.

Other last-minute statements were made on sex education, immigration, defence spending, the Grenfell Tower disaster and police conduct. These will take time to mull over. So will all the things not there but promised for “before the summer recess” – above all, no social care policy.

One item came as an intended end-of-term good news fanfare – the pay rise for public servants, with some due for 3.5%. But it quickly blew up when the true figures showed pay was still not rising above inflation for most police, teachers, members of the armed forces, doctors, dentists and others. Real wages in the public sector are still lower than they were in 2010. Worse still, it emerges that the Treasury won its austerity battle: it will contribute not one penny. All the money will likely be found from departmental budgets. Imagine the hellish summer holiday for civil servants who have to choose which programmes to salami slice next: in education, for example, it is the funds aimed at improving teaching and leadership, and for general school improvement, that are thought to be most at risk.

All these decisions will mightily affect many people’s lives and livelihoods – and under scrutiny, more details will emerge. This underhanded skulduggery is a reminder of the value of a parliament holding the executive to account. As a way to conduct government, it is a disgrace: take no garbage from any minister promising “transparency” when this take-out-the-trash deviousness has become an end-of-term ritual.

5 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Can anyone explain why calling out Israel as institutionally apartheid is antisemitic?

Doesn't it depend on whether you are labelling the creation of Israel as an apartheid system or whether you are questioning its policies?

I know you didn't imply this with your comment but the Labour party has a serious problem.  Look at the process for a start.  They've decided to unilaterally define anti-semitism on behalf of the Jewish community in this country (possibly for Jews all around the world), without consulting them or canvassing opinion.

Then, looking at their definition of anti-semitism, it omits examples from the IHRA definition allowing labour party members to question Jewish people's loyalty as long as the person questioning did not have anti-semitic intent. So in the modern day Labour party, it is deemed acceptable to question a Jew's loyalty to their home country based on nothing more than their religion but as long as you didn't mean it, it's ok.  As this definition is part of Labour's internal policies, it then institutionalises it as not anti-semitic. 

The fact that Corbyn has ignored the views of the mainstream Jewish community and sided with this definition starts to make you think Margaret Hodge had it right when she called him an anti-semite to his face.  I don't think there is a debate on this.

Ultimately, there's very little votes in this as the bulk of the country doesn't really care or understand the nuances of the debate.  The fact that the majority of the Jewish community are all reacting with concern is not a right wing conspiracy or because they're Blairites or that their loyalty is clouded by Israel.  It's probably because they're genuinely worried.

Edited by breadandcheese

20 hours ago, Buce said:

Labour MP charged with perverting the course of justice

Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya, 34, is due to appear in court next month

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/25/labour-mp-fiona-onasanya-charged-perverting-the-course-of-justice

If she's found guilty, she deserves to be banged up. Perverting the course of justice is a very serious offence,

5 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

If she's found guilty, she deserves to be banged up. Perverting the course of justice is a very serious offence,

Chris Huhne the Lib Dem MP got jail time for a similar offence. I thought that was OTT at the time but a precedent has been set.

4 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

It's not, and if that's all it was then the idea that the left in general has an anti-Semitism problem would be confined to a few lunatics (typically your deep south Christians who believe Israel need to control the region to bring about the apocalypse) but it unfortunately sits further in the grey zone between outright Nazi nonsense and legitimate criticism of Israel as a nation (let's be fair, Netanyahu is a dangerous hawk) - where they defend anti-semitic artwork (the mural based on the idea that Jews control the world economy), referring to genuinely anti-semetic groups like Hamas and Hezbollah as friends, the likes of Naz Shah and Ken Livingstone suggesting Hitler was a Zionist, senior party members dismissing any hard questions we need to ask ourselves as media smears, not to mention the rabble of idiots in the party's member base going out with signs like this:

GettyImages-938228216-1.thumb.jpg.a860b69fd0c81f20d0f40541d58f2d5e.jpg

The party needs to ask itself hard questions and prove that it can criticise Israel's saber rattling without devolving into hostilities towards Jews as a whole (many of whom don't support Israel's actions). At the moment it insists on eating itself and making the wounds worse.

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

They have finally gone away. The prime minister tried to get rid of parliament a few days early, but couldn’t muster the votes. There was so much bad news to bury, it would have been easier to scuttle off sooner: nothing is good news for her these days, so scores of written ministerial statements slipped out in the last couple of days, in the hope that no one would notice.

It’s a tradition – a bad one – used by all governments called “take out the trash day”, the last day of the session, with no time for MPs to summon ministers to explain highly controversial decisions. They hope to duck under the radar, or that the opposition will forget in the long six-week break.

On the final day, no fewer than 21 separate ministerial statements emerged, plus stacks of reports with embarrassing statistics. Another 18 statements had appeared in the days before, on a welter of subjects with opaque titles such as “home office update”, “schools update”, “teachers update”, “Department of Health update”, “housing policy” and more.

Traditionally, the dreariest titles hide the most controversial news, such as the innocuous-sounding “machinery of government” announcement: that’s the one that stripped Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab, of his negotiating role and transferred it to Olly Robbins at the Cabinet Office’s Europe unit. The timing misfired: it hit the decks just as the two of them were up before the Brexit committee, sitting awkwardly together.

The guess has to be that if it was good news, it would not have been sneaked out

Here are a few they hoped to skip past MPs: just after loud RAF centenary celebrations, BBC programmes with heroes recalled and a fly-past bringing central London to a standstill, out slipped a written statement saying both RAF Linton-on-Ouse and RAF Scampton were to be closed. RAF Scampton, home of the Red Arrows, is home to the RAF Heritage Centre. The Ministry of Defence was not eager to draw attention to another last-day report revealing a doubling of personnel seeking mental health support in the past decade, with long waits for treatment for veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.

The transport minister, Chris Grayling, snuck out a report that is no news to rail users: crush-hour overcrowding is worsening with too few carriages, some carrying two-and-a-half times more people than designed for.

Seven more courts are to shut, from Banbury to Fleetwood, whispered the justice secretary, David Gauke. Losing courts leaves great holes in communities, breaking the connection between justice and locality, forcing many to travel miles, with long court delays. Interesting note: the only one reprieved was Cambridge (a marginal seat), where the consultation yielded the most vociferous protests, something the city is good at.

A radical change to planning laws was smuggled out by the Department for Communities. Councils lose the right to block developments if they have failed to build their fair quota of affordable housing. Unscrutinised, who knows if this will be a gift for developers to build greenfield identikit executive homes wherever they want, however unaffordable? The local government association’s Tory chair says it “punishes local communities”. The guess has to be that if it was good news, it would not have been sneaked out.

Fracking got the green light, with shale company Cuadrilla permitted to drill in Lancashire, despite vigorous local protests. And Scotland will be shocked at the slippery way the MoD announced a stop to the contract for five Type 31e frigates to be built at Rosyth and on the Clyde, risking local jobs. This was once a sweetener to keep Scotland in the union: the Scottish Tory leader, Ruth Davidson, used it in her 2016 Holyrood election campaign, promising the order would definitely go to the Clyde. Not any more, because the MoD wanted them to be too cheap for anyone to be able build them.

Other last-minute statements were made on sex education, immigration, defence spending, the Grenfell Tower disaster and police conduct. These will take time to mull over. So will all the things not there but promised for “before the summer recess” – above all, no social care policy.

One item came as an intended end-of-term good news fanfare – the pay rise for public servants, with some due for 3.5%. But it quickly blew up when the true figures showed pay was still not rising above inflation for most police, teachers, members of the armed forces, doctors, dentists and others. Real wages in the public sector are still lower than they were in 2010. Worse still, it emerges that the Treasury won its austerity battle: it will contribute not one penny. All the money will likely be found from departmental budgets. Imagine the hellish summer holiday for civil servants who have to choose which programmes to salami slice next: in education, for example, it is the funds aimed at improving teaching and leadership, and for general school improvement, that are thought to be most at risk.

All these decisions will mightily affect many people’s lives and livelihoods – and under scrutiny, more details will emerge. This underhanded skulduggery is a reminder of the value of a parliament holding the executive to account. As a way to conduct government, it is a disgrace: take no garbage from any minister promising “transparency” when this take-out-the-trash deviousness has become an end-of-term ritual.

So sayeth the extreme crazy Leftie, who has all the answers to political matters.

Take a break sonny, and read all the old copies you must have, of the Daily Worker.