Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

8 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Wanting the destruction of Israel isn’t anti-semitic in the same way wanting the destruction of Yugoslavia didn’t make you  anti Slav. Both are political constructs.

You want the destruction of Israel?

What would you have in its place?

10 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

A state with a majority Jewish population which isn’t apartheid and has equality under the law for all peoples.

And you hope to achieve that by the destruction of Israel?

How does that work?

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

And you hope to achieve that by the destruction of Israel?

How does that work?

The creation of Israel is a racist endeavour as it seeks to establish a right wing apartheid ethnostate in Palestine and deny the displaced people their own state with internationally recognised borders. To reverse this the constitution and much of the of Israel’s passed motions have to be ripped up, effectively destroying Israel as we know it.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The creation of Israel is a racist endeavour as it seeks to establish a right wing apartheid ethnostate in Palestine and deny the displaced people their own state with internationally recognised borders. To reverse this the constitution and much of the of Israel’s passed motions have to be ripped up, effectively destroying Israel as we know it.

And how do you suggest this be achieved?

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

Sanctions, talks, referenda and legislation. In that order.

And what would you envisage that this 'new' Israel would look like (politically and geographically)?

9 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

If you can't (/choose not to) see that opinions on Israel =/= opinions on Jews then you're a grade A virtue signalling moron whose opinion is of negligible value.

That said calling for the destruction of a state is an extreme I wouldn't personally go to, I have no suggestions for how to resolve the clusterfvck over there but I wouldn't back he nuclear option.

But, let's be fair, Corbyn defending things like this:

753648433_methode2Fsundaytimes2Fprod2Fweb2Fbin2Fd7195f52-3426-11e8-8e3a-d639f3c4b43e.thumb.jpg.7689c8fca9cbcdfda692f1710e49f07b.jpg

Which plays on the Jew World Order conspiracy nonsense, and then the likes of Diane Abbott declaring people talking about it a media slur on St Jeremy of Islington rather than acknowledging it's a bad misstep at least just adds to the problem. The left in general has an anti-semitism problem, conflating Israel and Jews too easily and backing into old anti-semetic conspiracies like the protocols of Zion and all that crap. It needs to step away from that and focus on Israel's issues as serial human rights abusers and their escalation of any conflict in the region, which can be done without shouting about the Jews.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Buce said:

And what would you envisage that this 'new' Israel would look like (politically and geographically)?

I reckon you're implying that the realistic consequences of what Sharpe is saying are complex and unfeasible perhaps?  Maybe the situation is not so simply resolved

But is it possible that what he's saying is not anti-semitic?  Thats the question at hand innit?

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

4 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I reckon you're implying that the realistic consequences of what Sharpe is saying are complex and unfeasible perhaps?  Maybe the situation is not so simply resolved

But is it possible that what he's saying is not anti-semitic?  Thats the question at hand innit?

I'm not implying anything, mate - I'm genuinely interested in determining his views before forming an opinion on them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, toddybad said:

National Farming Union says no deal world be 'Armageddon' and smash several leavers tropes at the same time:

British farmers say ‘no deal’ Brexit would be an ‘Armageddon scenario’

http://flip.it/SZJLdk

Ninety per cent of our food and drink exports go to Europe,” he said. “If we can’t get our relationship right with Europe, we have nowhere else to sell at the right price.

Surely they will will make a killing here when we are eating out of bins?

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Ninety per cent of our food and drink exports go to Europe,” he said. “If we can’t get our relationship right with Europe, we have nowhere else to sell at the right price.

Surely they will will make a killing here when we are eating out of bins?

Now this something where I'm less sympathetic to the Remain cause (before you get all excited, Strokes, I'm not converting - read on): coming from a carbon-footprint perspective it seems mind-bogglingly stupid that we are looking to import (for example) New Zealand lamb from the other side of the planet, while our Welsh farmers are fretting about losing export opportunities to the EU. Call me a simpleton if you like, but why don't we just eat our own friggin' lamb?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Now this something where I'm less sympathetic to the Remain cause (before you get all excited, Strokes, I'm not converting - read on): coming from a carbon-footprint perspective it seems mind-bogglingly stupid that we are looking to import (for example) New Zealand lamb from the other side of the planet, while our Welsh farmers are fretting about losing export opportunities to the EU. Call me a simpleton if you like, but why don't we just eat our own friggin' lamb?

I totally agree, surely there is a market here for food?

Im not naive enough to think you will change your mind @Buce and I’m pretty sure your main concerns were over social economics iirc.

Just now, ealingfox said:

The population of the EU without the UK is about 450 million. Somehow I don't think extra sales to people in the UK is going to cover the difference.

Meh maybe not but we were going to starve yesterday now we have too much food. What a difference a day makes.

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The population of the EU without the UK is about 450 million. Somehow I don't think extra sales to people in the UK is going to cover the difference.

So are we going to have too little food or too much food? I can't keep up at the minute.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

No, I get that, but importing food that we produce ourselves for export is ludicrous from an environmental perspective.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Meh maybe not but we were going to starve yesterday now we have too much food. What a difference a day makes.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

So are we going to have too little food or too much food? I can't keep up at the minute.

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

We rely on imports for certain perishable foods from the EU which, by virtue of their short shelf-life, need a fast transit through customs.