Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

We rely on imports for certain perishable foods from the EU which, by virtue of their short shelf-life, need a fast transit through customs.

Which specific foods are we talking about? 

30 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The pay deal was explained appallingly badly tbh. Until literally a week ago nobody had any idea what they'd be getting when or what it meant for progression.

I've done okay out of it so won't complain too much but they're are some really bad decisions in there.

The most experienced staff are receiving sod all - less than inflation certainly.

If I get a promotion I won't get a further pay rise unless I stay in the job for five years, which is ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Meh maybe not but we were going to starve yesterday now we have too much food. What a difference a day makes.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

So are we going to have too little food or too much food? I can't keep up at the minute.

You can be a pair of dotards sometimes. I assume that's okay to say what with it being diplomatic language these days?

We all know we don't grow enough to support ourselves. Though it is a fair point that the internal market might increase I don't know enough about farming (and assume neither do you) to be able to argue with the NFU about what is good or bad.

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, Buce said:

Fresh vegetables, largely.

So we'll have so much meat we can't get rid of it but a shortage of vegetables? Not the best way to convince me this is bad. lol

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

IMG_20180727_125703.jpgAnybody want to guess what party he is a councillor for?

You have to wonder have stupid some people on this earth are, don't you?

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Now that is some pretty strong anti-semitism

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

You have to wonder have stupid some people on this earth are, don't you?

Been suspended already which is good.

At some point though the current Labour party is going to have to address why it is attracting so many of these people.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

We can’t grow vegetables? It’d be like the old days, seasonal dinners. Baked beans with every meal.

We could, same as we could train our own nurses and doctors, but it's not going to happen before March; also, it would require a societal change to only eat seasonal produce, one that is not going to happen.

55 minutes ago, MattP said:

So we'll have so much meat we can't get rid of it but a shortage of vegetables? Not the best way to convince me this is bad. lol

I thought that the moment I posted it. lol

Edited by Buce

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

IMG_20180727_125703.jpgAnybody want to guess what party he is a councillor for?

I think the real question should be, 'who votes for people like this?'

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

Been suspended already which is good.

At some point though the current Labour party is going to have to address why it is attracting so many of these people.

I think the reality - and I've shown you lists of tory incidents in the past - is that all parties have crackpots. 

It seems to be the case that labour has the anti-semites whereas perhaps the Tories have islamophobics. I don't think either party can be overly proud of itself.

For labour it's pretty clear that the left is less happy with the actions of the state of Israel. I think predominantly the issue rises from there but clearly the sort of nonsense you've highlighted above is something else entirely. No idea where that sort of nonsense comes from.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

It is worrying that somebody with views like that can get anywhere near an official position

Its possible to disguise veiws for a while though. I think you have to be a bit deranged to want to be a politician, so its inevitable some of them are complete extreme nutjobs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buce said:

it would require a societal change to only eat seasonal produce, one that is going to happen.

My old parents still can’t get their head around the fact you can buy every type of fruit and veg all year round.

Back in their day you could only buy stuff when it was ‘in season’ and it never did them any harm.

But I imagine businesses would go bust left right and centre if we went back to that...

29 minutes ago, Buce said:

We could, same as we could train our own nurses and doctors, but it's not going to happen before March; also, it would require a societal change to only eat seasonal produce, one that is going to happen.

It doesn’t take that long to grow some vegetables :dunno:

I might get myself an allotment though, just in case.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I totally agree, surely there is a market here for food?

Im not naive enough to think you will change your mind @Buce and I’m pretty sure your main concerns were over social economics iirc.

You may remember (in fact, I'm surprised you don't remind me of it) that I was undecided right up until the day of the vote. In the end, I followed my intuition - same as I always do - and subsequent events have shown (imo) that I was right to do so.

I don't want to come over all leicsmac, largely because I don't have his faith that humanity will spread throughout the galaxy, but if we are going to survive as a species we need to be moving away from the 'us and them' attitude and accept that this is Spaceship Earth - we sink or swim together. The EU was - is - far from perfect, but it is a step in the direction that humanity needs to go if we are to survive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buce said:

You may remember (in fact, I'm surprised you don't remind me of it) that I was undecided right up until the day of the vote. In the end, I followed my intuition - same as I always do - and subsequent events have shown (imo) that I was right to do so.

I don't want to come over all leicsmac, largely because I don't have his faith that humanity will spread throughout the galaxy, but if we are going to survive as a species we need to be moving away from the 'us and them' attitude and accept that this is Spaceship Earth - we sink or swim together. The EU was - is - far from perfect, but it is a step in the direction that humanity needs to go if we are to survive.

Yeah that’s all well and good but I just don’t like the French :D

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

My old parents still can’t get their head around the fact you can buy every type of fruit and veg all year round.

Back in their day you could only buy stuff when it was ‘in season’ and it never did them any harm.

But I imagine businesses would go bust left right and centre if we went back to that...

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It doesn’t take that long to grow some vegetables :dunno:

I might get myself an allotment though, just in case.

Sorry, just to make it clear, I made a typo there - I meant to say 'not going to happen'

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

lol

A lot of people say that but I actually like them.

In fact, France is one of my favourite countries.

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Do you feel any more sympathetically towards the Germans?

I merely ask in order to have an opportunity to post this, which popped out from the back of my memory...

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Or how about Sweden....

p.s. For anyone thinking I've cocked that up....No!

Sylvia was Sylvia Vrethammar from Sweden. :thumbup: