Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

25 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Or how about Sweden....

p.s. For anyone thinking I've cocked that up....No!

Sylvia was Sylvia Vrethammar from Sweden. :thumbup:

Im on my work phone today so they block all media, so ill check it when i get home.

I dont really dislike the french, my great grandfather was french. Not that i met him but we carry the name through in our middle names in some weird tribute.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Im on my work phone today so they block all media, so ill check it when i get home.

I dont really dislike the french, my great grandfather was french. Not that i met him but we carry the name through in our middle names in some weird tribute.

It must be Pierre.

Everybody in France is called Pierre, even the women.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yes, I can imagine being named Mr. Strokesie Cul-de-Chien Strokes would put you off our green, amphibious friends across the water.

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

It must be Pierre.

Everybody in France is called Pierre, even the women.

Plenty of blokes called Marie, too.

Even Le Pen Senior was "John-Mary Le Pen", which might explain him becoming a repulsive, ultra-macho quasi-fascist. Over-compensation, innit. Johnny Cash pinned it down with "Boy named Sue". :thumbup:

• Haha 1

I used to work with a bloke called Shirley, I think there's a wrestler from a few years ago with that handle.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

I used to work with a bloke called Shirley, I think there's a wrestler from a few years ago with that handle.

Shirley Crabtree, better known as Big Daddy.

My mum's a Shirley and was named after her grandfather. 

I worked with a bloke called Beverly years ago, didn't know that could be a man's name until then.

Edited by Facecloth

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Shirley Crabtree, better known as Big Daddy.

My mum's a Shirley and was named after her grandfather. 

I worked with a bloke called Beverley years ago, didn't know that could be a man's name until then.

It can't.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/27/brexit-eu-may-raab-johnson-food-barnier?CMP=share_btn_tw

quality article. 

Speaking of which, Raab went to Brussels this week, having just unleashed a Daily Mail comment article entitled My Brexit War Cry. Reading this as he journeyed to a showdown with the EU was a bit like seeing Norman Wisdom approaching a banana skin and wondering what on earth was going to happen next. Spoilers! By now, you may have seen how Dominic’s “Brexit war cry” turned out, as he nodded along to Michel Barnier giving him nul points. I guess Dominic’s Winston Churchill in the sheets, Churchill-the-insurance-dog in the streets. 

lol:appl:

6 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Pre 1967 borders politically would be up to the electorate of course

So, as far as I can see, your 'destruction of Israel' is, in reality, just a return to pre-'67 borders; everything else has already been put to the electorate already in a series of democratic votes.

Do you seriously believe that any of what you believe has any chance of happening?

34 minutes ago, Buce said:

So, as far as I can see, your 'destruction of Israel' is, in reality, just a return to pre-'67 borders; everything else has already been put to the electorate already in a series of democratic votes.

Do you seriously believe that any of what you believe has any chance of happening?

2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I respect your idealism, Sharpey, but it's not realism.

I'm in touch with Israeli friends, descendants of Russian emigres, atheists and fiercely left-wing, yet even they wouldn't entertain the idea of a return to pre- '67 borders. Fact is, mate, you're right - it is an ethnostate, but it's nothing new, it always has been a de facto ethnostate, and recent legislation is just a rubber stamp of that. Israel is not going away and any solution that doesn't recognise its right to exist within its current borders is a non-starter. And sanctions are meaningless while the US controls the World economy.

However, I do agree that criticism of the Israeli state is not necessarily anti-semitic.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

I respect your idealism, Sharpey, but it's not realism.

I'm in touch with Israeli friends, descendants of Russian emigres, atheists and fiercely left-wing, yet even they wouldn't entertain the idea of a return to pre- '67 borders. Fact is, mate, you're right - it is an ethnostate, but it's nothing new, it always has been a de facto ethnostate, and recent legislation is just a rubber stamp of that. Israel is not going away and any solution that doesn't recognise its right to exist within its current borders is a non-starter. And sanctions are meaningless while the US controls the World economy.

However, I do agree that criticism of the Israeli state is not necessarily anti-semitic.

Very true mate but there is always hope since the Jewish people have always had a great spirit of social justice and one day they will break from the basic laws that define its apartheid unwritten constitution. The first step, as always, will be the victory of Labour over Capital.

Just seen the story on the news about the probation service that was privatised costing the taxpayer half a billion quid. This outsourcing racket is a joke, you can’t trust the private sector to do anything more complicated than making different flavour crisps and even then they get the colours wrong half the time. Is cheese and onions green or blue? I don’t have a fvcking clue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Just seen the story on the news about the probation service that was privatised costing the taxpayer half a billion quid. This outsourcing racket is a joke, you can’t trust the private sector to do anything more complicated than making different flavour crisps and even then they get the colours wrong half the time. Is cheese and onions green or blue? I don’t have a fvcking clue.

Tbh I think this comment pretty much wins the thread. We can stop now.

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

This is the sort of thing that will result in me voting Labour at the next election. Cost cutting on national projects, to award contracts to companies not paying into our economy, makes no sense to me. It’s completely against any logic I understand. Hopefully they will see sense. 

• Like 2