Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

Had been away for a little while but came back to see the parents had the conifers cut down in the garden to get some more light in

I just feel this low sadness though. They have been there for as long as I remember and seeing various birds over the years. What a shame

21 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Had been away for a little while but came back to see the parents had the conifers cut down in the garden to get some more light in

I just feel this low sadness though. They have been there for as long as I remember and seeing various birds over the years. What a shame

I don't think that conifers, especially Lylandii types, are much use for wildlife. Hopefully they'll replace them with some smaller flowering/fruiting deciduous trees 🌳 

I had a massive Norway Spruce (Christmas tree) felled in my garden a few years ago and replaced with two ornamental pears. Blossom in early spring, great autumn colours and hold leaves well into winter. They haven't fruited yet but apparently birds love them.

• Like 2

Just taken delivery of a new toy. Anyone with any experience?
Happy to hear of what to do/not to do..!

(Apart from not to use it in the kitchen floor, obviously).

IMG_0488.thumb.jpeg.4d47616a94278c35ce0f2ce2caf5235c.jpeg

12 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I don't think that conifers, especially Lylandii types, are much use for wildlife. Hopefully they'll replace them with some smaller flowering/fruiting deciduous trees 🌳 

I had a massive Norway Spruce (Christmas tree) felled in my garden a few years ago and replaced with two ornamental pears. Blossom in early spring, great autumn colours and hold leaves well into winter. They haven't fruited yet but apparently birds love them.

Good for nesting birds.

We cut ours down and no longer get bats in the garden. Truly shit trees, but nature finds ways of using what is available. If new trees are being planted then you can do better but we do miss the bats.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Those that know me well will be well aware that I've a lot of affection for massive moths so I was absolutely delighted when my wife told me she was being bothered by this absolute lad:

https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/catocala-fraxini/

95 mm across! Ours is at least that big, almost big enough to cuddle.

My second rare moth encounter in my garden this year. Crap year for wasps, great year for moths

• Like 1

On 05/07/2024 at 22:17, Milo said:

Just taken delivery of a new toy. Anyone with any experience?
Happy to hear of what to do/not to do..!

(Apart from not to use it in the kitchen floor, obviously).

IMG_0488.thumb.jpeg.4d47616a94278c35ce0f2ce2caf5235c.jpeg

How did you get on, and does it detect unseen feces?

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Those that know me well will be well aware that I've a lot of affection for massive moths so I was absolutely delighted when my wife told me she was being bothered by this absolute lad:

My second rare moth encounter in my garden this year. Crap year for wasps, great year for moths

Fantastic find… I’ve never seen one alive, only in collections. you should let your local recorder know.
Do you trap? 

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If you like moths I saw this a couple of days ago

20240911_222201.jpg

Just now, jgtuk said:

Fantastic find… I’ve never seen one alive, only in collections. you should let your local recorder know.
Do you trap? 

I don't, but I took a terrible photo of it.

There are moth recorders! That's pretty much my dream job in many ways and I'm very sad to learn it's a voluntary position. 

I will pass details of this sighting on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't, but I took a terrible photo of it.

There are moth recorders! That's pretty much my dream job in many ways and I'm very sad to learn it's a voluntary position. 

I will pass details of this sighting on

Try trapping, if you like moths you’ll love it. 
I have 3 light traps on throughout the summer. 

• Like 1