Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleshdaddy

Switched back to Windows, need advice / recommendations!

So I’ve been a Mac user for years and years, but I picked up a 2-in-1 laptop running Windows 10 last week and I must say I'm pretty impressed, both with the machine I picked up (a Lenovo Yoga 720) and Windows 10! I thought it’d be a tricky transition, but it’s been a breeze and I’m pretty much there in regards to mirroring the setup I had on my Mac.

I am looking for recommendations though, as I’m way out of the loop. I'm particularly interested in all things anti-virus. What software do people use and recommend? I've got McAfee LiveSafe at the minute as a trial and it seems decent so far. Basically I want the least invasive software, but one that also does a really good job and is hassle free. Are there any free ones I should check out or is there a paid (and worth the money) alternative? I am willing to pay, providing it’s reasonable.

App wise I’m keen to hear what people use, particularly for media (video) players (I’m on VLC at the minute, purely because that’s what I used on my Mac) and also web browsers and any must have extensions (I’m using Chrome at the minute with AdBlock) but should I be using anything else?

Those are the main things I’m looking for advice on. I’m not a gamer (aside from Football Manager which this machine runs pretty well), so I’m mostly looking for any apps which increase my productivity and enhance my experience. Basically, is there anything you think I should check out?

Any help, advice and recommendations much appreciated!

Ha! I think I'm somewhat impressed because my expectations were so low!

I've still got my Macbook Air, but it's on it's last legs and I didn't fancy spending £1k on another Apple laptop. For what I use a laptop for, this Lenovo I've picked up is more than good enough.

McAfee.. Hmm hard to say anything positive about this. Its been known to be a right pain in the ass when you need to uninstall it and even so before that. Personally i would opt for Avast or AVG which are both free and more than adequately do the job, i stream alot and also download movies (sorry mods if im not allowed to say that) which come from very scrupulous sites and touch wood have never had a virus yet. 

VLC is steady and imo has been one of the best out there for years, although the default window media software has come along way. (Itunes is also worth it if you have an iphone as they interact nicely together,)

I use Chrome too i love its simplicity and tbh its all that's needed for browsing.

With regards to other apps, it really does depend on what you do or want to do. I mainly game on PC, watch movies/shows or stream football so don't really use any. 

Hope that helps abit!

I personally use Avast antivirus, it requires a free registry to get it working but I haven't had a single issue regarding malware or virus' since I started using it regularly, and it's blocked a fair few attempts successfully

Web browser I'd go for firefox, install the ad blocker plugin and you're away. I find it's the fastest browser

If you want a full music / video solution, I'd recommend installing plex media server. You can then stream everything from your laptop to any device in the house that supports it, like consoles and phones. You need to create an account on their website but it's all free

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

I personally use Avast antivirus, it requires a free registry to get it working but I haven't had a single issue regarding malware or virus' since I started using it regularly, and it's blocked a fair few attempts successfully

Web browser I'd go for firefox, install the ad blocker plugin and you're away. I find it's the fastest browser

If you want a full music / video solution, I'd recommend installing plex media server. You can then stream everything from your laptop to any device in the house that supports it, like consoles and phones. You need to create an account on their website but it's all free

If you havent done this in chrome or firefox... definitley do it. ad blockers are great

Archived