Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dannythefox

Andy King

3 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

I don't get why some consider Steve Walsh a legend but not Kingy, both long serving (Walsh 450 appearances, 87 in the Prem. King 378 appearances, 83 in the Prem), high scoring (for their positions), loyal, LCFC loving footballers, who were very effective in the lower divisions.

Walshy wasn't that great in the Prem, neither is King but at least he won the damn thing

You’re right Walshy wasn’t  the best of premier league players but he had something King sadly lacks and that’s bucket loads of passion and never say die attitude. Always feel like Walshy would run through a brick wall for the team where as a King  gives the impression he is just there to do a job . Not a very good one at that 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

What about the goal against West Ham in 14/15? The goal that started it all. The title wouldn't have happened without King.

To say that the last 9 years might have happened whether King was at the club or not is a frankly ludicrous statement.

Because we'd be made to play with 10 men if King wasn't on the pitch.

Fine to state the title wouldn't have happened without him, but not to suggest we might not have missed a bang average player too much.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because we'd be made to play with 10 men if King wasn't on the pitch.

Fine to state the title wouldn't have happened without him, but not to suggest we might not have missed a bang average player too much.

Things would not have happened the way they did without a player who played hundreds of times and scored plenty of goals. I'm very surprised you're one of the people denying this.

11 hours ago, Babylon said:

Shove on the O'Neill years DVD and you'd know why. Or your old VHS of the little years.

CB turned centre forward, horrific injuries battling back to score two at Wembley to get promoted after heart break the years before. That Derby moment alone is a personally more iconic moment than King had ever conjoured up

The pass to Muzzy against Palace, header to claridge at hilsborough, scoring in the comback at against Swindon, scoring THAT goal in one of the best games in premier history against Arsenal.

You look back he was involved in almost every iconic moment from that period of time. The amount of headers that lead to iconic goals by others or goals of his own are unbelievable. 

I rewatched the Swindon play-off final a couple of years ago when it randomly came up on TV (ESPN?) in which Walsh played up front. Even though I always rated him, I was amazed at how good he actually was when watching again. Particularly in the air as he was almost unplayable in winning the ball to make chances for himself and for others.

Absolute legend for LCFC.

For me, a fit Steve Walsh would have been the first name on the team sheet in that period. Much as I value Andy Kings’ contribution over the years, he has been a squad player for much of that time and I wouldnt have  expected him / wanted him to be in the first 11 regularly . 

14 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

I don't get why some consider Steve Walsh a legend but not Kingy, both long serving (Walsh 450 appearances, 87 in the Prem. King 378 appearances, 83 in the Prem), high scoring (for their positions), loyal, LCFC loving footballers, who were very effective in the lower divisions.

Walshy wasn't that great in the Prem, neither is King but at least he won the damn thing

Steve Walsh - the game has changed, it’s different now, but years ago you would go to a game and before you even got there , you knew that Walshie was an integral part, someone that may well win you the game. 

Walshie was massive for us, and at times was worth the match fee alone.

King is a lovely lad, one of the most decent you find, but as a player, limited at this level. If he had just turned up, he wouldn’t be given an inch, but because he has been here years certain fans have a warmth for him. 

• Like 3

For me, Andy King's ranking on the Ledge-ometer will be decided in 3 years time when the pub quiz question is asked :

" Who played for Wales, won promotion from League 1, The Championship and won the premier league title during his career?"

And when only 1 or 2 teams get the answer ( which will happen) out of 20, that is the final answer.

He isn't legend status I'm afraid!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

I rewatched the Swindon play-off final a couple of years ago when it randomly came up on TV (ESPN?) in which Walsh played up front. Even though I always rated him, I was amazed at how good he actually was when watching again. Particularly in the air as he was almost unplayable in winning the ball to make chances for himself and for others.

Absolute legend for LCFC.

I'd actually forgotten how involved he was in so many big moments. It was only watching back loads of old games that I realised how much involved he was in so many incidents. People say he wasn't a good prem player, at the end of the day we finished top half and won a cup that first season up. With him playing a major role in both, after the injuries he had it was a minor miracle he was even playing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Things would not have happened the way they did without a player who played hundreds of times and scored plenty of goals. I'm very surprised you're one of the people denying this.

Yeah we might have won the title earlier if he hadn't held us back. lol

Anyway, I'm moving on from King, I'll just say one final piece. He played not far off the same amount of minutes Schlupp did in total over the course of the two title winning seasons, both academy graduates. If one is a legend, then so is the other... but one sadly got treated like a joke.

1 hour ago, Colourmy said:

For me, Andy King's ranking on the Ledge-ometer will be decided in 3 years time when the pub quiz question is asked :

" Who played for Wales, won promotion from League 1, The Championship and won the premier league title during his career?"

And when only 1 or 2 teams get the answer ( which will happen) out of 20, that is the final answer.

Well if it all 20 got it, it'd be a pretty shit pub quiz question wouldn't it.

Guest Harrydc

He's been here through thick and thin. Wether he had anything to do with the title or not he's a club legend.

Edited by Harrydc

If he was captain-material, he would've improved himself and the team more over the last decade.

He seems to stop at a certain point in terms of progress, but never actually declines too.

The Championship would be more beneficial for him imo.

9 hours ago, Colourmy said:

every single leicester fan for the rest of time will get it right though, because he’s a leicester legend. 

if you asked a pub quiz “who even is steve walsh” only 1 or 2 would say former leicester captain who was good at heading, the rest would say the guy who scouted mahrez, vardy and kante. so steve walsh can’t be a legend either? 

stupid logic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

every single leicester fan for the rest of time will get it right though, because he’s a leicester legend. 

if you asked a pub quiz “who even is steve walsh” only 1 or 2 would say former leicester captain who was good at heading, the rest would say the guy who scouted mahrez, vardy and kante. so steve walsh can’t be a legend either? 

stupid logic. 

Steve Walsh the scout was always known as "former leicester player Steve Walsh" :D

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Steve Walsh the scout was always known as "former leicester player Steve Walsh" :D

yeah exactly, nobody outside of this board can even remember who steve walsh is. which is apparently the criteria for a legend. 

11 hours ago, Colourmy said:

10 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Well if it all 20 got it, it'd be a pretty shit pub quiz question wouldn't it.

It's also a really bizarre logic of measuring exactly who is a footballing legend. Just because King isn't a legend of the game it doesn't mean he isn't a club legend. 

• Like 1