Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dannythefox

Andy King

I find this topic really tough, Andy King has been an integral part of our club for many eventful years.  In truth, standard wise, now he has his limitations but to be treated with contempt and disrespect from certain quarters, imo, is totally uncalled for.

CP obviously sees him as playing a part when required and that is obviously going to diminish with our better quality and availability In the midfield department.

I respect him for his loyalty and what he's achieved over the years and for being a part of the best years in our history.

• Like 4

We should know more than anyone how important dressing room harmony is in football. Andy King has obviously been an integral part of that. I remember Pearson saying something along the lines of 'I don't know what our fans think of them, but I know how important players like Andy King and Dean Hammond are'. If he or the manager thinks it's time for him to move on then so be it. However, I think having a player that knows the club inside out and who doesn't throw a strop when they're not playing is no bad thing. In fact, quite the opposite. 

5 hours ago, Bablemikey said:

Off the top of my head I'd probably say Martin o'Neill, Steve Walsh (player), Muzzy, Vardy & Mahrez, Claudio, maybe Claridge for the league 1 final and League cup goal, probably Pearson too.

What about Heskey? He did a great thing contributing to the saving of this club along with being arguably the best player the club has produced since Lineker.

5 hours ago, Bablemikey said:

Off the top of my head I'd probably say Martin o'Neill, Steve Walsh (player), Muzzy, Vardy & Mahrez, Claudio, maybe Claridge for the league 1 final and League cup goal, probably Pearson too.

Big Wes? Club Captain when we won the Championship and of course the Premier League. Has to be considered a club legend for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

We should know more than anyone how important dressing room harmony is in football. Andy King has obviously been an integral part of that. I remember Pearson saying something along the lines of 'I don't know what our fans think of them, but I know how important players like Andy King and Dean Hammond are'. If he or the manager thinks it's time for him to move on then so be it. However, I think having a player that knows the club inside out and who doesn't throw a strop when they're not playing is no bad thing. In fact, quite the opposite. 

How long do you pay a player who is no longer good enough, it’s not like he’s on pennies.

Yes he knows the club, yes he’s been a good servant, and yes at some point he will have to drop down a level, and free up around 40 grand a week, according to some on the other threads.

He’s done well in the lower leagues for us, and played some part in recent years, but your talking like he’s keeping the squad together.

Football is football, they are professional, yes they might all really like him, but like any other player that leaves, they will just get on with there jobs, and hopefully the club can get a young prospect in, who could give the same playing standard, or if not improve the squad, and still have room to progress their game.

1 hour ago, Monsell1976 said:

How long do you pay a player who is no longer good enough, it’s not like he’s on pennies.

Yes he knows the club, yes he’s been a good servant, and yes at some point he will have to drop down a level, and free up around 40 grand a week, according to some on the other threads.

He’s done well in the lower leagues for us, and played some part in recent years, but your talking like he’s keeping the squad together.

Football is football, they are professional, yes they might all really like him, but like any other player that leaves, they will just get on with there jobs, and hopefully the club can get a young prospect in, who could give the same playing standard, or if not improve the squad, and still have room to progress their game.

He is still good enough.....

Just heard a funny comment from Puel yesterday. Asked if he needs to drop a midfilder with 3 strong players to choose from (Iborra, Ndidi and Silva) his reaction was “and James”. No mention of King. Hopefully he’s seen enough 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Just heard a funny comment from Puel yesterday. Asked if he needs to drop a midfilder with 3 strong players to choose from (Iborra, Ndidi and Silva) his reaction was “and James”. No mention of King. Hopefully he’s seen enough 

I wouldn't want to see King go but there's no denying he's 5th choice CM, in particular the fact that an injury ravaged Matty James offers more than him is damning

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Do people that spend ten years at a company become legends by default? No, of course, they don't.

Sometimes I despair at the perceived intellect level of football supporters!

Wouldn’t say legend but long service is rewarded with better pay, better leave allowance and often a gift. 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Wouldn’t say legend but long service is rewarded with better pay, better leave allowance and often a gift. 

Yes and I'm sure he has been paid well, had ample time off and a BMW to name just a few things. A stalwart, maybe, a legend, not even close!

8 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Yes and I'm sure he has been paid well, had ample time off and a BMW to name just a few things. A stalwart, maybe, a legend, not even close!

So at the very least he deserves respect which many supporters of this club don’t give him. 

You decided to use an incomparable scenario of ‘another company’. Football’s a different kettle of fish to any other business. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 minute ago, Colourmy said:

No, I didn't. It's relative in many ways, in fact, every way but the money and hours.

You said ‘Do people that spend ten years at a company become legends by default?’ 

Football cant compare to normal business.  

A player scores an important goal he’s a legend. Why there’s the comparison for that in a normal business? You dont just gain a huge amount of kudos with such one instant event in business. 

3 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

A guy secures a big contract but labours along for the next ten years. The difference between a 10-year job at Billy's Widgets and as a footballer is the wages, hours and the public adoration.

And the public scrutiny and criticism. How many of us work with 30,000 peering at our every move and millions around the world assessing us on television. Not to mention the message boards and social media that batter us every time we fall short. 

1 minute ago, Nickfosse said:

And the public scrutiny and criticism. How many of us work with 30,000 peering at our every move and millions around the world assessing us on television. Not to mention the message boards and social media that batter us every time we fall short. 

Not many, but I suspect the property portfolio, the obscene wages go some way to relieving " The Pain" 

But I'm not totally convinced Andy King has to worry about millions around the world scrutinising his every move.

4 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Not many, but I suspect the property portfolio, the obscene wages go some way to relieving " The Pain" 

But I'm not totally convinced Andy King has to worry about millions around the world scrutinising his every move.

I don’t disagree there are great compensations as a modern day professional footballer. You were comparing it with the average workplace and there are significant differences when it comes to being analysed by the public. 

I’m sure you’re right in saying King doesn’t have millions around the world scrutinising his every move, but plenty round here are not slow to pass comment on his efforts (myself included). 

3 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I don’t disagree there are great compensations as a modern day professional footballer. You were comparing it with the average workplace and there are significant differences when it comes to being analysed by the public. 

I’m sure you’re right in saying King doesn’t have millions around the world scrutinising his every move, but plenty round here are not slow to pass comment on his efforts (myself included). 

What are you doing then? 

Being part of a successful team does not automatically correlate to legend status, you have to be a pivotal part of that period to be recognised as such.

Andy King is what is known in the real world as a reliable plodder.