Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dannythefox

Andy King

19 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

What are you doing then? 

Being part of a successful team does not automatically correlate to legend status, you have to be a pivotal part of that period to be recognised as such.

Andy King is what is known in the real world as a reliable plodder.

I was simply commenting on comparing 10 years as a footballer to 10 years at Billy’s Widgets with you adding in only the additional benefits. I don’t think it’s like for like because we’re not scrutinised in the same way.

Personally, I think King has a greater role off the pitch than on it these days.

Edited by Nickfosse

On 11.1.2018 at 21:12, M0901 said:

He is a club legend. Winning the top 3 titles for the same club makes you a CLUB LEGEND. He doesn't have to be the best player in the squad, but he's done enough to secure the post. Also our top scoring midfielder so that further helps it.

The term "legend" tends to be used at an inflationary rate nowadays.

Legend is what you use for people with a certain pedigree that are no longer at the club, or people that are already dead.

Andy King is a well-known player, a record breaker in some aspects (three separate league titles in English football, all with the same team, hard to beat that). Influential at some stage (earlier in his career), rather negligible in today's grand scheme of things. A model pro no doubt and a very decent person, but limited in terms of footballing ability, hindered by several factors - not all of them down to him, I might add.

But a legend? I'd contest that.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 3

Paul Dickov is a  Man City legend because he scored the equalising goal  against Gillingham to take them to penalties and eventually win  Div 2 play off final that got them out of Div 2.

Everyone has a different view of who or what makes someone a legend  to deny them  that shows a lack of understanding of the basics of football culture.

• Like 3

Everybody has different definitions. 

A legend would be someone who plays every week - the team need him. Izzet is a good example of this and in 2002, for example, Adams said we were a good size with Izzet and average without. The team need him.

But I also see Elliott as a legend because he scored two goals in a cup final and Claridge scored two of our most important goals ever.

He's a club legend. End of story. I seriously don't know how people can he isn't. 

He's achieved a lot more then a lot of our other club legends especially in this day and age. 

We should have a poll at the top of this thread imo.

Is Andy King a Leicester legend?

Perhaps a good idea/possible to do @davieG or @DB11, with this legend argument becoming quite a regular topic about him?

The results would be interesting.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

We should have a poll at the top of this thread imo.

Is Andy King a Leicester legend?

Perhaps a good idea/possible to do @davieG or @DB11, with this legend argument becoming quite a regular topic about him?

The results would be interesting.

Can't  see the point some will say yes some will say no, the numbers don't  really matter. It's  so subjective like beauty, art,  architecture and music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

The term "legend" tends to be used at an inflationary rate nowadays.

Legend is what you use for people with a certain pedigree that are no longer at the club, or people that are already dead.

Andy King is a well-known player, a record breaker in some aspects (three separate league titles in English football, all with the same team, hard to beat that). Influential at some stage (earlier in his career), rather negligible in today's grand scheme of things. A model pro no doubt and a very decent person, but limited in terms of footballing ability, hindered by several factors - not all of them down to him, I might add.

But a legend? I'd contest that.

He is a club legend, yes.

Still doesn't take away his achievements with the club and the fact he's been part of the most successful period in our history. I didn't once say he was a footballing legend, but he is a CLUB legend. Talking about him being a decent person and a model pro is irrelevant in my arguement. You're more likely to remember his name than most because of what he's achieved with the club. Hence CLUB legend, not a footballing legend.

Ok... compare him to Neil Lennon. Lennon the better player. Most will agree there. Lennon widely regarded as a legend. King has done more for the club than Lennon has. How can King not be a legend? 

Again, Walsh. Club legend. Two promotions and two league cup wins. Not a one club man (but bleeds Leicester). Shagged other players missus'. 

What King does or doesn't offer on the pitch is up for discussion, but in the dressing room he's very much a senior figure who plays a massive role which I'm sure most of you will understand just how important it is. 

• Like 2

You need to do a fair few legendary things to be considered legendary. Walsh's pass to Marshall against Athletico, then Marshall's goal against Athletico, Wes Morgan lifting that trophy, Vardy scoring that goal against Liverpool, Mahrez ripping apart Man City's defence -- all concrete events that will live on for years. It's just harder to wax lyrical about the length of someone's contributions at a club and the latterly minor role he played. Yet contributing for that long and seeing those contributions help the success of the team from dejection to the impossible? He's a legend in my book but just not one you're going to wax lyrical about. He's an unsexy legend. An unsexy, gurning legend. A rare kind of legend but a legend nonetheless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Are we a better team with king in the side? - No 

Does he make a postitive impact when he comes off the bench? - No 

The last time he played consistently well for us was in League 1. How hes still here is beyond me. I don't see him as a legend. 

This is the kind of nonsense that makes any other point you make invalid. League one was 10 years ago. It was his first full season.

Since then he has been voted players player of the year twice, been our top scorer and been voted in the Pfa championship team of the year. 

In 5 full championship seasons he has played in at least 30 games in every season. He has played in over 40 games in 3 of those seasons. To say the last time he played consistently was league one is such a load of crap.

Now since we have been in the premier league and in the championship winning season he hasn't been first choice but he has still contributed in every season. He has played in over half of our premier league games and scored 6 goals despite competing with players that have been signed for millions and have a wealth of champions league experience.

If you had only started supporting the club 5 years ago then fair enough, Andy King will not be a legend to you, but if you were around 10-11 years ago you would have cheered lots of his goals and chanted his name countless times. The fact that we have better midfielders now doesn't detract from what he achieved for us, the fact he is still contributing now is a testament to his ability and importance at the club.

11 hours ago, davieG said:

Paul Dickov is a  Man City legend because he scored the equalising goal  against Gillingham to take them to penalties and eventually win  Div 2 play off final that got them out of Div 2.

Everyone has a different view of who or what makes someone a legend  to deny them  that shows a lack of understanding of the basics of football culture.

Exactly my point Davie G, thank you for illustrating it better than I could

10 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I love people banging on about him being our most capped international,  its Wales ffs they’ve hardly got a massive pool of players to pick from 

Welcome to Leicester City FC, where international breaks in the early 2000s meant two players at most going away with their international teams 

2 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Would you ever point to him on the pitch and say to a young boy or girl that’s how you want to play?  Not many would 

Could be applied to about 95% of other footballers? You might point out the way he conducts himself off the pitch to an academy graduate and say that’s the way to do it. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

11 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

The last time he played consistently well for us was in League 1. 

Nothing like a but of hyperbole to put a rubbish point across. This is no more than absolute toss unless you slept through the few seasons immediately after our League One campaign.

9 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I imagine all these people saying what a legend he is will want him starting against Chelsea today...... 

thought not. 

I don't want Arthur Chandler starting today... Mainly because he can't. Guess he's not a legend either

• Like 2