Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dannythefox

Andy King

11 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Certainly hope swansea stop up if we can get 6m for him. Personally think we'd be asking too much if we wanted 6 pounds for him. 

How many times have you won the premier league? No, wait. How many times have you won league one? Some of our fans are ridiculous. Sure he's not what he used to be for us but the guy deserves enormous respect. Whether you like him or not. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bert said:

How many times have you won the premier league? No, wait. How many times have you won league one? Some of our fans are ridiculous. Sure he's not what he used to be for us but the guy deserves enormous respect. Whether you like him or not. 

I don't agree with having to change my opinion on someone just because the majority see him as a legend. Clearly not good enough at this level and I think we will be delighted if we get 6m for him. I wish I could respect him but the last 4/5 years he's just been going through the motions as every midfielder we've signed has immediately gotten ahead of him in selection. 

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'm comparing Swansea's reserve CM and our what 5th choice CM, with Schlupp.... seems pretty comparable. Highest scoring midfielder ever, and one of about three to ever play in league one where he scored 1/5 of all his goals. King hasn't been a first choice starter for about 6 seasons. 

He and schlupp played comparable minutes over the championship league win, staying up and the title win all added together. Both youth team products, and both ultimately not good enough for what we want to do now. Yet one is deemed a laughing stock and the other is a" legend".... don't get it. 

Again, if people see King as a legend then I'm happy for them it's an entirely subjective thing with no specific set of rules. So people can't expect everyone to share the same view. He's nowhere near being what I'd consider a legend, it's how I feel so it's pointless in trying to argue otherwise with me. Perhaps it's a generational thing, there are a lot of people who were starved of idols growing up and he's probably as close as soon got to one, I get it. 

But I saw what I'd consider proper legends growing up and have witnessed many more since and he doesn't get close. 

Anyway, this has been done to death, it's boring.

Is that because we’ve been fairly sh!t for the majority over the past 40 odd years or so. King’s disregarded by so many people because we’ve outgrown his talents. If we were still in The Championship we’d feel lucky to have him and want to fend off any approach. We’ve outgrown him, but he’s been a huge part of that growth. We’ve had many a player who could be considered a legend, because they were quality, loyal, a leader... but in recent times Andy King epitomises what it means to be Leicester City. Carry on idolising players who don’t play the game anymore or who moved on when it suited and ignore the here and now (last decade). It was always better in ‘my day’ is a very stubborn and ignorant way of thinking. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Royston. said:

Give the 6 million to mahrez as signing on fee in new 4 year contract and free up the number 10 shirt for messi:thumbup:

As a player I love Mahrez as a person he's a knob. I personally would not be happy with the club spending the legacy from such a great clubman on someone like Mahrez. As a player Mahrez is the bees knees as a person he's not fit to lace Kings boots and never will be. IMO and whatever anyone says it won't change.

• Like 1

A potential win-win for City and for a player another PL club values highly enough to buy.

One who made large contributions to our club’s progress but no longer fulfills its ambition.

The only man who has won the top three leagues with one club -- merely scoring game-winners at each level.  A success in a line of work with a thousand aspirants for every job.  A man whose character has never drawn criticism.  A player a Premier League club, today, believes is worth a few millions of pounds to acquire.

Such a middling record of accomplishment, that some of our “supporters” more eminently successful in their own endeavors, feel the need to ridicule.  Not intelligently criticize.  Ridicule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Col city fan
8 hours ago, sdb said:

£6mill for a British, international player with his experience, medal count and ability is a pretty low price. ALThough it seems about right, im sure we'd end up paying about £20 mill for such a player. 

Our ‘fans’ are happy to be offloading King for 6 mill, when we paid 17 for Musa, 29 for Slim and 25 for Nacho.

Again...only on FT. 

The forum becomes ever more absurd.

lol

6 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

I don't agree with having to change my opinion on someone just because the majority see him as a legend. Clearly not good enough at this level and I think we will be delighted if we get 6m for him. I wish I could respect him but the last 4/5 years he's just been going through the motions as every midfielder we've signed has immediately gotten ahead of him in selection. 

Go on then I will bite...........

Your beyond belief if you believe he has gone through the motions.....in all seasons he has been a huge part of the squad - promotion, relegation battle, champions , CL and this season too... players like AK are very rare and will be a huge loss within the squad and i for one would question the merits for £6m than less he will be guaranteed more football at the swans.

Squad morale, team spirit have defined us and we run the risk of losing it with Huth, Fuchs etc being close to leaving/retirement.

Some fans really don’t have a clue and internally he is a very important cog.

whilst I would accept he should not be first choice his ability to be a squad player, play when called upon and role model is clearly underestimated.

it will be a sad day when he leaves i for one hoped he would retire here and become a coach.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Och, as I say I am not claiming he is a legend, nor that he is a great player and your posts are, to be fair, always very reasonable and I often agree with you.  I do think Andy King is deserving of respect though.  Always worked hard, scored some important goals and, if player interviews/reports are to be believed, an important member of the squad.  To be fair I think we agree I just think some people (not you) should show a little more class when discussing him.  I think he should move on and I think we have better players but I also think calling him shite or stating he is worth £6 is a little classless.

Anyway, the one thing I certainly agree with you on is that this is boring.  I am boring myself even writing this so god knows how you poor fookers reading it feel.

X

I've got respect for King, I've never been one of those saying he should go or trying to drive him out. I appreciate that every squad needs some men prepared to not be playing every week, to be involved behind the scenes helping others and being a role model and a leader. I'd have no issue if he stayed here for his whole career if he so wished. Only the other day Silva said what a great help King and James were to him off the field, some people are kept around longer than perhaps their ability dictates they should because they offer so much more. Was, James, King, Leo and other perhaps all been given questionable contracts over the years, but we've also heard about what fantastic pros they are and how great they are to have around the squad.

Sometimes, like we see now with Wes. People are quick to want to change big characters behind the scenes in favour of a new face in the squad, without considering not just what happens on the pitch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Not a great argument, King played 220 more games for Leicester than Jeff did. The Football club existed before we won the championship you know.

So King is a legend for milling around midtable for longer, bravo Kingy.

In fact there was a period of about 2/3 years when Kingy was a goal scoring midfielder that he our best player. This was backed up by him winning players player twice. Jeff was never our best player.

Well for me King has never been in our top three players, let along top one. As for players player awards... Jeff Schlupp, players player of the year in the premier league our first season.

Also your (weak) argument does not take into account leadership off the pitch I know wes used to take Kingy and Kasper into his meetings with Claudio. Also I can remember numerous city managers praising his attitude and leadership qualitys in interviews. Having about those kind of players is vital if you want to succeed. I don't remember a manager praising Jeff for these qualities.

So King going into meetings we have no knowledge of makes him a legend? Now I know it's subjective, but I doubt when discussing a "legend" decades later, someone has said remember. Wow remember how great any King was in meetings. It makes him a great pro, as I touched on above.

As for being a weak argument, it's subjective. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Andy King means no more to me than Schlupp, end of story. That's how I feel. If you think he's legend then that's fine, I've already said I'd understand a whole generation thinking he is as we were starved of players staying around or actually performing quite well for years.

11 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

This is wrong on so many levels. Bloke has done more for our club than Schlupp could ever dream of, and that you can't see that is incredibly sad.

More than Schlupp could ever dream of? What has King done that Schlupp couldn't dream of doing exactly?

Again, people just don't seem to get it. What makes a legend is subjective, I'm not suggesting anyone is wrong as I keep repeating. Two average players, both played their part in some of the most exciting years in our history, for which they will always get my thanks and respect. But they equally don't register anywhere close to being legend for me personally.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

I'll always love the bloke, he's never going to be remembered like Mahrez or Vardy, but he's been with Leicester from our lowest low to our highest high, he's played his part every single season and he's always been reliable when called upon. People are too quick to slag him off as well - he's not good enough for what we want anymore, but he was great for us in the Championship and scored some fantastic goals.

Love the bloke, best of luck to him for the future.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

More than Schlupp could ever dream of? What has King done that Schlupp couldn't dream of doing exactly?

Again, people just don't seem to get it. What makes a legend is subjective, I'm not suggesting anyone is wrong as I keep repeating. Two average players, both played their part in some of the most exciting years in our history, for which they will always get my thanks and respect. But they equally don't register anywhere close to being legend for me personally.

I get that it's subjective you don't think king is a legend. I do. We will have to agree to disagree no other option, But....

To say he has contributed a similar amount to Jeff Schlupp is plain stupidy. Andy King played 220 more games and scored 45 more goals anyone with half a brain who wasn't being incredibly stubborn to not lose an argument could see it. Comparing King and Schlupp is like comparing Spencer Prior with Steve Walsh because they played at a similar level for a couple of seasons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bert said:

I'd be very surprised if this charming fella has even won the Leicester Alliance Leauge mate.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I get that it's subjective you don't think king is a legend. I do. We will have to agree to disagree no other option, But....

To say he has contributed a similar amount to Jeff Schlupp is plain stupidy. Andy King played 220 more games and scored 45 more goals anyone with half a brain who wasn't being incredibly stubborn to not lose an argument could see it. Comparing King and Schlupp is like comparing Spencer Prior with Steve Walsh because they played at a similar level for a couple of seasons.

This is moving away from my original point, which was Andy King means no more to me than Schlupp. I also picked a time frame to compare their involvement over our recent successful history. Forgive me for not thinking much of milling around midtable and someone banging in a few goals for an average championship team is something worthy of celebrating. I prefer not to celebrate mediocrity.

I wasn't attempting to do a minute by minute analysis of their careers. Sure King has contributed more, he's been here longer I'd expect that. Enough to make me think much more of him? No. As I said, why is Jeff treated as nothing but a joke? If he'd not been sold to Palace and sat around on the bench for six years, would that have elevated him to legend status because he totted up another 200 sub appearances?

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I know it's been asked before, but what is a club 'legend' defined as?

If King isn't one, many others of the PL-winning side wouldn't be labelled one either..

9 hours ago, sylofox said:

As a player I love Mahrez as a person he's a knob. I personally would not be happy with the club spending the legacy from such a great clubman on someone like Mahrez. As a player Mahrez is the bees knees as a person he's not fit to lace Kings boots and never will be. IMO and whatever anyone says it won't change.

As a person? do you know him personally? Is he not professional enough and trying to force a move considered a low blow? YES! but why are you acting like he's picking fights with his teammates, slapping little kids and showing up drunk to training?

From what I saw, heard and read, his teammates throughout his career say that he's a guy that keeps to him, isn't a troublemaker and doesn't have a big ego. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Average in my book are players like tiatto, savage, Henderson, Rowett and the list goes on.

Andy King will never be average in our history on so many fronts - inside and outside by the vast majority of sensible fans he will be remembered as a history maker and a fantastic role model for so many who follow!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, the fox said:

As a person? do you know him personally? Is he not professional enough and trying to force a move considered a low blow? YES! but why are you acting like he's picking fights with his teammates, slapping little kids and showing up drunk to training?

From what I saw, heard and read, his teammates throughout his career say that he's a guy that keeps to him, isn't a troublemaker and doesn't have a big ego. 

lol I so knew looking at your comment would provoke a reply.

You don't need to know someone personally to judge a personality.

Has Kingy ever slapped in a transfer request. Has king ever sat at an airport hoping to move. Has king slapped a transfer request in on deadline day. Refused to train then refused to travel with the team.

NO

Mahrez has and that's enough for me to judge him. As I've said as a player he's great and I won't fault him. As a person and as I said MY OPINION he's a cvnt.

Anyway that said back on my ignore list old chap.

Oh just to add no where do I comment or accuse him of picking fights with team mates.

As usual with your good self any anti Mahrez comment is a huge issue.  And I won't kiss his arse to make you happy.

Edited by sylofox
  • Like 2