Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

31 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Oasis reunion will be crap

Clearly just done it to pay for Noel’s divorce and the gigs will be full of the same crowd that spent last month outside the local holiday inn express

Go straight to Number 1 in the 'Unpopular opinions you hold' chart.

21 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Go straight to Number 1 in the 'Unpopular opinions you hold' chart.

I agree with him. Actually, I'm not sure that it's all that an unpopular opinion at all. Reunions seldom capture the original spirit and verve of a band. The Pistols are currently touring with Frank Carter which came about from a charity gig to save Bush Hall in Shepherd's Bush, where Steve Jones and Paul Cook grew up. They had so much fun doing it, they've added on some dates for which I have spectacularly failed to get tickets for. So not really a reunion per se - and certainly not for the money. I did manage to see the second reunion in 2007 at Brixton Academy with John which was entirely predicated on cashing in and it was ****ing great. There are always exceptions - I doubt whether Oasis would be one of them - but then I'm not the best person to ask since I always regarded their music as hackneyed crap. 

Edited by SpacedX
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

Always disliked Oasis anyway. Don't know if that's an unpopular opinion.

I like them tbf just think their best left in the past

People are forgetting how bad their later gigs were

• Like 3

On 22/08/2024 at 21:30, filbertway said:

I think this is probably an extremely popular opinion. 

I love gigs but 99% of the time i'd rather be listening to it on record without hundreds or thousands of people around :D

On 23/08/2024 at 11:32, Daggers said:

Any gig attended by more than a couple of hundred people can get in the bin. Festivals and stadium events are too big, too expensive and everything is too far away.

Maybe it's an age thing. When I was younger (in my 30's/40's) I didn't mind the jostling, pushing and shoving in the standing areas nor the shuffling along to get out with a thousand other people. But now it's the access/egress that is so unpleasant. 2 hours or more queueing to get out of the parking areas is a real grind.

If I could get dropped in and lifted out by helicopter I'd go to more. 

30 minutes ago, MattFox said:

I like them tbf just think their best left in the past

People are forgetting how bad their later gigs were

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds are pretty dull and uninspiring IMO.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Always disliked Oasis anyway. Don't know if that's an unpopular opinion.

They did some really good tunes but were one of the biggest pairs of pricks going in music. Still are tbf. Peter Kay calling Liam a knob head live on TV was spot on. 

Blur were and still are a much better band, and Damon Albarn is an infinitely better songwriter than both of them put together. Can you see either of them having the talent or creativity to come up with something like Gorillaz?

Oasis were good at the time for their little pigeonhole of British guitar music crossed with working class culture. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Maybe it's an age thing. When I was younger (in my 30's/40's) I didn't mind the jostling, pushing and shoving in the standing areas nor the shuffling along to get out with a thousand other people. But now it's the access/egress that is so unpleasant. 2 hours or more queueing to get out of the parking areas is a real grind.

If I could get dropped in and lifted out by helicopter I'd go to more. 

I saw a VIP package for Glastonbury a couple of years ago that was helicopter arrival, luxury yurt with en-suite, area with full sized pool, spa, restaurant and bars and ‘secret’ access to the stages. 

It was about sixteen grand, though 😬

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Parafox said:

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds are pretty dull and uninspiring IMO.

Noel was always a little dull on stage, that why he needs Liam.  Saw Liam last year on stage and he was pretty good still.  I reckon it will be a decent gig.

Whan Oasis were together the music the fans who attended were all Oasis fans.

Unfortunately we have now entered an era where whenever a noteworthy gig/tour is announced the whole fvcking country (& beyond) jumps on the "gotta get a ticket" bandwagon, the result being a large part of the audience are there for the "experience" as opposed to wanting to see a once great band put on a show (for financial or other reasons).

• Like 2

I think the reunion will be great. Went to the Liam Gallagher Definitely Maybe Tour in June and it was excellent. Having both Liam and Noel on stage could be very special indeed. I guess the only issue is whether they have been able to settle their differences to the point where they're able to reignite their former chemistry. If it's just a case that Noel is going to turn up with a face like a slapped backside and be present but not really committed simply for a pay day then it may not work. 

• Like 1

I personally think they’re pretty sh1t, crap solo careers,

liam is massively overrated and a massive b3ll3nd and Noel has a God complex. 
Best ever rock n roll band my arse. 

There, I said it. 

11 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I personally think they’re pretty sh1t, crap solo careers,

liam is massively overrated and a massive b3ll3nd and Noel has a God complex. 
Best ever rock n roll band my arse. 

There, I said it. 

But aside from that?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

She wasn't the headline finale, she played the legends slot on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks but I wasn't being specific, I just used her as an example of a poor return for your money.

I very much liked Oasis back in the day, the Knebworth concert was fantastic. I've seen both Liam and Noel separately and both were OK. I'd always hoped for a reunion tour. However, I'm now thinking that involves a mad panic for tickets, a trek to London, staying over and probably a world of pain, crowds and queuing. The appeal has diminished. I think I'm out. 

51 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

I think the reunion will be great. 

I think it'll all be twat haircuts, lines of coke and phones in the air with bankers and stock brokers swaggering about tediously claiming they're mad fer it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MattFox said:

Oasis reunion will be crap

Clearly just done it to pay for Noel’s divorce and the gigs will be full of the same crowd that spent last month outside the local holiday inn express

Agreed, i was there for the Apna Sangeet, Alaap re-union, the guys were wrinkly and the years of alcohol abuse and shagging did nothing for there performance