Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

2 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Complains about stereotypical jokes whilst simultaneously making a shit-tonne of stereotypes lol

how are those stereotypes? - they're opinions.

sorry if you like any of those shit comedians though m8, didn't mean to rustle your jimmies. 

Edited by lifted*fox

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

Most British comedy is shit - especially the stuff that gets turned out on channels like ITV, BBC, 4, etc. 

People that enjoy stuff like Miranda, Mrs. Brown's Boys, etc. need to check themselves - that shit ain't funny, at all. 

Also, northern comedians like Peter Kay and friends - not funny, at all. Making stereotypical jokes about ****ing fish and chips and other northern shit. NO. Comedy for idiots. 

Ricky Gervais - not funny. Lee Evans - not funny. Michael McIntyre - not funny. 

All cheap comedians who rely on obvious gags or shit slapstick guff for cheap laughs. 

I see people getting hyped for that shit and I'm like - really?

That other guy who literally just tries to be as outrageous as possible, urm... can't remember his name but no, not funny. 

American comedians are significantly better - they rely on cynicism and a lot of the humour is a lot more intelligent, well thought out, dark. That rolls into American sit-com as well - much better shows, Always Sunny, Bojack, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Nathan For You, Broad City, etc. 

Not many UK comedians I'll make time for tbh - Russell Brand is an exception. 

Only UK comedy TV that's been on form recently has been People Just Do Nothing but the heady days of stuff like Peep Show, IT Crowd, etc. are long gone. I just don't think there's enough clever comedy writers in the UK who are prepared to make intelligent, challenging comedy. 

Lee Nelson?  Poor man's Ali G.

But yeah, sadly you're right.  It used to be the other way around and we could take great pride in our witty, darkly dry comedies while bemoaning the obvious, over-explained American approach to joke telling.  Indeed I would still maintain that historically speaking we still have the best comedy films and series - Black Books, The Day Today/Brass Eye, Blackadder, Monty Python (specifically the films), Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz (shame they never finished the trilogy), Green Wing, the Thick of It and more besides.  These days though it's flipped on its head and the funniest comedies like you say are coming out of the states and our offerings are audiovisual cancer.

• Like 1

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

Lee Nelson?  Poor man's Ali G.

But yeah, sadly you're right.  It used to be the other way around and we could take great pride in our witty, darkly dry comedies while bemoaning the obvious, over-explained American approach to joke telling.  Indeed I would still maintain that historically speaking we still have the best comedy films and series - Black Books, The Day Today/Brass Eye, Blackadder, Monty Python (specifically the films), Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz (shame they never finished the trilogy), Green Wing, the Thick of It and more besides.  These days though it's flipped on its head and the funniest comedies like you say are coming out of the states and our offerings are audiovisual cancer.

This man knows. 

Also, you gotta look at stuff like Frasier and Seinfeld. 

This country hasn't produced anything with the long-lasting clout of these shows. 

The only comedies that other countries remember us for here (and rightly so) are stuff like Mr. Bean and Fawlty Towers because they were quintessentially British.

Alright, Mr. Bean was slapstick but it was clever behind the scenes. Fawlty Towers was the genius of Cleese and that obviously extends to stuff like Monty Python as well. 

Mr. Bean - we were in Prague and we found a little bar down some back street on a cold snowy morning. We decided to stop off for a beer and I shit you not, they were showing Mr. Bean and this bar was FULL of locals at like 11am just watching and drinking. It was so surreal. But, it's universal - no language barrier with that show. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

how are those stereotypes? - they're opinions.

sorry if you like any of those shit comedians though m8, didn't mean to rustle your jimmies. 

No jimmies being rustled, the majority of specific references to comedians you made I would agree with. Plenty of my favourite stuff has come from the states.

But I find it amusing that you complain about "Northern comedians" making stereotypical jokes whilst simultaneously grouping swathes of comedians together as if they are all the same. 

Imagine going on a massive rant about comedy, shouting about how no one is funny and then ending it by saying you make time to Russell Brand.

Unless that was the joke?

Just now, MattP said:

Imagine going on a massive rant about comedy, shouting about how no one is funny and then ending it by saying you make time to Russell Brand.

Unless that was the joke?

Russell Brand was never going to be a favourite comedian of yours was he tbh mate.

He's like some communist liberal lefty comedian - I bet you absolutely can't stand the guy.

Obvious reply from Matt is obvious. 

Can you imagine Family Guy being made in Britain? It makes jokes about blacks, jews, gays, the disabled, and women. If someone at the BBC made that they'd sacked after episode 1 and they'd never work again, and yet untill a couple of years ago it was shown on BBC3 every night, now it's the same in ITV2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

Russell Brand was never going to be a favourite comedian of yours was he tbh mate.

He's like some communist liberal lefty comedian - I bet you absolutely can't stand the guy.

I've always thought Brand is what a thicko thinks an intelligent person is. I did read a bit of "My Booky-Wooky" - it wasn't great. 

He was also a bellend in real life, I bumped into him in The Sussex in Covent Garden and he got the arse as I blanked him, no idea if he was drugged up at the time but he was craving to be the centre of attention in a terribly embarrassing way.

Watching him and Mel Brooks on that chat show was watching man against boy when it comes to comedy, we haven't produced a decent comedan here for ages now but it's an impossible job.

Curb your Enthusiasm is the best comedy in the World and the closest we got to it was probably Extras which was great.

The days of great comedy like Porridge and Only Fools are long gone, we aren't going to produce another genius like John Sullivan are we? (Although I suppose I hate him as he''a  big leftie?) lol

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I've always thought Brand is what a thicko thinks an intelligent person is. I did read a bit of "My Booky-Wooky" - it wasn't great. 

He was also a bellend in real life, I bumped into him in The Sussex in Covent Garden and he got the arse as I blanked him, no idea if he was drugged up at the time but he was craving to be the centre of attention in a terribly embarrassing way.

Watching him and Mel Brooks on that chat show was watching man against boy when it comes to comedy, we haven't produced a decent comedan here for ages now but it's an impossible job.

Curb your Enthusiasm is the best comedy in the World and the closest we got to it was probably Extras which was great.

The days of great comedy like Porridge and Only Fools are long gone, we aren't going to produce another genius like John Sullivan are we? (Although I suppose I hate him as he''a  big leftie?) lol

Lots of different sorts of ‘bright’ - he’s certainly clever but completely unfiltered and his biggest addiction problem is seemingly with himself by the way he behaves and is also expected to behave publicly. I think he’s perhaps a victim of his younger self now struggling to publicly transition into a more adult identity...

Just now, MattP said:

I bet he was devastated. lol 

Nice to see we've got one thing in common re: Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

Just now, lifted*fox said:

I bet he was devastated. lol 

Nice to see we've got one thing in common re: Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

That's the depressing thing, he genuinely was upset a nobody like me didn't know who he was, it was so weird.

At one point he was shouting you do, you do I'm Russell Brand, he was right I did, but I wasn't going to let him know that.

3 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Has anyone seen the new Curb yet? 

Yes, different but still fantastic.

The episode with Bryan Cranston is brilliant, funeral nod lol

44 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

What ****s me off about taxes is that a huge chunk of my salary just disappears off into this magic ****ing money pot and I get told that 'it gets spent on X or Y and it helps X or Y' but how the **** do I know where my contribution goes?

Tell me what I have to pay each month and let me choose who it ****ing helps. Maybe I want it to help homeless people on the street - maybe I want it to specifically help drug addicts or people suffering from abuse. 

For all I know my tax gets taken and it gets spent on something I couldn't give two ****s about. I'd be much happier if you had some say in who your tax helped - how it got spent. 

At the moment I very much feel like the government just takes my ****ing money and they might as well be rolling it up and shoving it into their asses for all I know.

Some people don't want their taxes helping drug-addicts because it's 'their fault' - nah, **** that shit - everyone is one bad decision away from homelessness or drug addiction - these people need help too. I'd rather my money went there than to people suffering from cancer from smoking for example.

I saw an interesting interactive graphic once where you could follow every strand of public spending. The most interesting thing about it was the several billion that went to “undefined” or “unknown” spending. Basically money that gets spent somewhere but they don’t know where. The most interesting thing about that was that the unknown spending was pretty much the entire deficit. I’m no conspiracy theorist but if I had a leak like that in my finances my first priority would be finding out exactly what that was before I spent seven years crippling myself by making cuts elsewhere.

Edited by Rogstanley
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

the new series or this week specifically?

i'm up to episode 4, got 5 to watch later on. 

33 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yes, different but still fantastic.

The episode with Bryan Cranston is brilliant, funeral nod lol

25 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Yes, first 2 episodes are particularly brilliant. I think there only 5 episodes in this series though. :( 

Where are you guys watching it?

Sky Atlantic is the only place I know it's on but I don't have that.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz (shame they never finished the trilogy)

They did, The World's end. Wouldn't put as good as the other 2 but then the value is always in the rewatchability so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it a few more times.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

They did, The World's end. Wouldn't put as good as the other 2 but then the value is always in the rewatchability so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it a few more times.

It's a shame they never finished the trilogy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Eh, he's just not funny. Not the politics, I'm from the far left, just that he's a tool.

• Like 3