Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 04/11/2017 at 11:17, lifted*fox said:

Most British comedy is shit - especially the stuff that gets turned out on channels like ITV, BBC, 4, etc. 

People that enjoy stuff like Miranda, Mrs. Brown's Boys, etc. need to check themselves - that shit ain't funny, at all. 

Also, northern comedians like Peter Kay and friends - not funny, at all. Making stereotypical jokes about ****ing fish and chips and other northern shit. NO. Comedy for idiots. 

Ricky Gervais - not funny. Lee Evans - not funny. Michael McIntyre - not funny. 

All cheap comedians who rely on obvious gags or shit slapstick guff for cheap laughs. 

I see people getting hyped for that shit and I'm like - really?

That other guy who literally just tries to be as outrageous as possible, urm... can't remember his name but no, not funny. 

American comedians are significantly better - they rely on cynicism and a lot of the humour is a lot more intelligent, well thought out, dark. That rolls into American sit-com as well - much better shows, Always Sunny, Bojack, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Nathan For You, Broad City, etc. 

Not many UK comedians I'll make time for tbh - Russell Brand is an exception. 

Only UK comedy TV that's been on form recently has been People Just Do Nothing but the heady days of stuff like Peep Show, IT Crowd, etc. are long gone. I just don't think there's enough clever comedy writers in the UK who are prepared to make intelligent, challenging comedy. 

America has it's share of bland, broad comedy as well as we do.

Catastrophe, Fleabag, Lovesick, Him & Her and Uncle are all great shows we've produced recently.

Although it missed the mark a lot, BBC 3 going online has shut the door for a lot of writers which is a shame because every now and then it'd produce an absolute gem.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

America has it's share of bland, broad comedy as well as we do.

Catastrophe, Fleabag, Lovesick, Him & Her and Uncle are all great shows we've produced recently.

Although it missed the mark a lot, BBC 3 going online has shut the door for a lot of writers which is a shame because every now and then it'd produce an absolute gem.

I forgot about Him & Her, great show 

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Footballers, in particular, should contribute some of their earnings to charity - as money shouldn't be everything to a person or define how successful they are.

Not sure that's an unpopular opinion, tbh (certainly more popular than some recent opinions, anyway :P)

Absolutely agree with the first bit, and I know most players do something charity-wise. Juan Mata showing the way http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40831430

Happiness over money every day for me 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I know this is morally reprehensible and utterly shameful but.....

......I actually don't mind Spurs.

Forgive me.

In the 44 contentious and divisive pages of this thread this is by far the most sickening, disturbed and depraved confession. Get help.

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Footballers, in particular, should contribute some of their earnings to charity - as money shouldn't be everything to a person or define how successful they are.

28 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

How do we know they don’t?!?!

And why footballers inparticular and not film stars, bankers, CEO's etc. There's plenty out there who earn obscene amounts, so why footballer inparticular?

Edited by Facecloth

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

I know this is morally reprehensible and utterly shameful but.....

......I actually don't mind Spurs.

Forgive me.

I agree. I wasn't a fan *that* season but I rather like what potch had done with their team.

It's Arsenal I can't stand due to their willy puller  fans.

6 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Morally yes of course, but they should not be obliged.  The MASSIVE amounts of tax they contribute to the Treasury are more than enough obligation.

I like spurs too. It’s a squad that has been built mostly the old fashioned way with modest outlay and development of youth, and they play good football. Kane is fast developing into a top tier player as well and that’s a story of hard work and perseverance. There’s not a lot to dislike about them to be honest. Our rivalry with them is over and we won, so there’s no bitterness there from me, only good memories. 

Edited by Rogstanley
  • Like 1