Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Ah I went back, your fault @daggers you were there too.

21 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Except for me, because I'm the teacher's pet innit :whistle::innocent:

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Never understood the love for decorative knives or swords. The samurai sword on a wall thing doesn't do it for me at all.

I quite like it. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and a culturally iconic thing to own. 

32 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Most people who I've met that have been in the forces are massive willy pullers who can't wait to tell you that they were in the forces. 

Worked with loads like that but there are exceptions. 
I was surprised by how many are racist bigots and very right wing. 

• Like 1

Just now, filthyfox said:

"Free speech" is only free if those who have power over you agree with what you have to say...

Free speech, like any other freedom, comes hand in hand with the most fundamental freedom of all - the freedom to take the consequences. That's the freedom upon which all others are based.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Free speech, like any other freedom, comes hand in hand with the most fundamental freedom of all - the freedom to take the consequences. That's the freedom upon which all others are based.

I absolutely LOVE that analogy.

I believe I shall use that in the future 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

I absolutely LOVE that analogy.

I believe I shall use that in the future 

Thank you very much, but I will also credit the late, great Terry Pratchett for giving that one to me in one of his amazing books.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

What about if a given individual or group wants the action but not the reaction? Is there a space for feeling the action is justified, but the reaction is too expensive?

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

What about if a given individual or group wants the action but not the reaction? Is there a space for feeling the action is justified, but the reaction is too expensive?

I think I understand you here, but can you give me an example to be certain before I answer?

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

OK...   say I didn't lime a particular barbershop because the owner is a jumped up little twerp.

I'm hardly going to smash his window in, am I?-it would make an awful lot of noise and be very messy and expensive for ME should I get caught.

So...   I bought some maggots and went to said barbershop and put them through his letter box in the middle of the night when noone was around, and when the CCTV was facing the wrong way.

Why?...   just so happens a month prior, he actually called me a maggot!  Ergo, he had the freedom of choice to accept the flies in his tea 

Edited by filthyfox

Just now, leicsmac said:

I think I understand you here, but can you give me an example to be certain before I answer?

When does a protest cross the line in the simplest case, maybe too simplistic to say the individual vs the whole,local justification in the face of national disapproval.

12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

When does a protest cross the line in the simplest case, maybe too simplistic to say the individual vs the whole,local justification in the face of national disapproval.

Good question, everyone will have a different answer.

But for me the moral question is rather secondary to the fact that humans do practically always deliver consequences - positive and negative - in response to freedoms of expression - positive and negative - as a matter of course anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Good question, everyone will have a different answer.

But for me the moral question is rather secondary to the fact that humans do practically always deliver consequences - positive and negative - in response to freedoms of expression - positive and negative - as a matter of course anyway.

Not communicating the best today (or ever to be fair) as I am a bit overcome watching the Jimmy the Giant video about the riots. Got to me this one.  :(

You aren't entitled to express an opinion in a public forum if it's discriminatory.

Racists should STFU or FO.

People using language that has clear racist undertones (that snack bar bullshit) should be permabanned from FT. No naughty step, just out.

Edited by Daggers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

You aren't entitled to express an opinion in a public forum if it's discriminatory.

People using language that has clear racist undertones (that snack bar bullshit) should be permabanned from FT. No naughty step, just out.

I got banned from the new news thread without a single warning when my only post in there was saying “never a good way to start a statement” quoting a post by Dr the Singh saying “I know some people, they’re not racist but…” then saying about how Muslims get preferential treatment by the police: Of course he didn’t get banned from the thread at all so I guess the mods here disagree. 

Edited by Sampson

30 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I got banned from the new news thread without a single warning when my only post in there was saying “never a good way to start a statement” quoting a post by Dr the Singh saying “I know some people, they’re not racist but…” then saying about how Muslims get preferential treatment by the police:Of course he didn’t get banned from the thread at all so I guess the mods here disagree. 

I come with hazard warning signs dude.,:amartey:

7 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I come with hazard warning signs dude.,:amartey:

Nothing against you personally, I’m happy to still have conversations with you, was more a dig at this new modding system where it seems all you have to do is flag someone you disagree with regardless of what they say and they get banned without having any previous warnings. Meanwhile others discuss exactly the same issues and don’t get banned.

Even leicsmac has been banned from the news thread and he’s like the nicest and most understanding person on the forum 

Everything is political but they’re seems to be arbitrary distinction about what is and what isn’t politics and then they just ban people without prior warning for crossing this arbitrary line when they were never told what it was. Meanwhile the exact people they were quoting and discussing with when apparently crossing this line don’t get banned. It’s bizarre.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Nothing against you personally, I’m happy to still have conversations with you, was more a dig at this new modding system where it seems all you have to do is flag someone you disagree with regardless of what they say and they get banned without having any previous warnings. Meanwhile others discuss exactly the same issues and don’t get banned.

Even leicsmac has been banned from the news thread and he’s like the nicest and most understanding person on the forum 

Everything is political but they’re seems to be arbitrary distinction about what is and what isn’t politics and then they just ban people without prior warning for crossing this arbitrary line when they were never told what it was. Meanwhile the exact people they were quoting and discussing with when apparently crossing this line don’t get banned. It’s bizarre.

Likewise, i think its healthy having differences and debates, aslong as we do not have personal attacks.  

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

What if you don't like midgets?