Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 11/08/2024 at 15:36, Daggers said:

Emin - sure. That turd Hirst - absolutely

But Bacon?

83b38bfca47569a7bcc9ed43216d392d.jpg.e76c18d4b0d70e5e6d22932ce3c4ac6f.jpg

Keifer?

ccae6254beb8bfc62ccb450862087095.jpg.7fbaa1cc1038a6a0012ee20f337750ac.jpg

Ganz?

03c249b2d98c7631733df76184eb8aa4.jpg.3dfa2b08ecd057185af309f21741a552.jpg

No.

No, sir.

You are wrong.

That bottom photo is what the Mercury took of Lloyd Dyer running down the wing…

5 hours ago, Soar Fox said:

Senior 65+ shouldn’t get discounted prices on match & season tickets. 

why not?

a lot of those 65+  who go to game  have supported the club for years and  could be one of the reasons we still have a club..

• Like 2

On 12/08/2024 at 09:03, fox_up_north said:

I'm of the opinion that Banksy, like Robin Hood and Jack the Ripper, isn't one person. Just a name assigned to a collective of people. More likely to capture public imagination if it's one mysterious person than a group of organised individuals. 

Addendum - see also W. Shakespeare.

I've often thought this about Banksy and I really hope I'm wrong.

15 hours ago, MPH said:

why not?

a lot of those 65+  who go to game  have supported the club for years and  could be one of the reasons we still have a club..

I agree with you in the sense that I do think they should get discounts but I can see the argument against. A lot of these older people are in far more secure financial positions than younger folk. 

22 hours ago, Soar Fox said:

Like most things in the world things change. The original premise that seniors should get a discount because they’ve been down the mines grafting for 57 years and now need to tighten their belts in retirement is not valid. These days Colin is retiring from 40 years in a public sector keyboard bashing job with a final salary pension and a house he bought for £50k worth 7 figures. Colin does not need a discount.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I agree with you in the sense that I do think they should get discounts but I can see the argument against. A lot of these older people are in far more secure financial positions than younger folk. 

well the ones that ARE in a more financially  secure position have worked hard all their lives to be so.. so look at it as more of a ‘thank you’ 

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

There are a lot of us old codgers that are in a better financial position than the young.  We don't have a mortgage any more which is a big plus but a lot of us don't have an additional nice comfy final salary (defined benefits) pension and there are fewer of those around these days.  The state pension is approx. £10,000 per annum out of which council tax, general and water rates and energy charges have to be paid before we buy something to eat.  If we don't have an additional pension then it's difficult to afford luxuries, and attending a PL football match is a luxury these days.   Any discount would be good but for many of us it's of no consequence, the charges are still too high.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Again that is missing the point. To derive wealth as a senior your house price has gone up, you’ve been granted a generous pension or economic conditions and infrastructure have been in place for you to thrive. None of which you are personally responsible for.

The hardest working people in the world are probably those in third world countries working 18 hour days doing physical labour. Hard work does not equal wealth. 

lol but that has nothing to do with British pensioners getting a discount and the reason why.  Going off on a bit of a tangent there, chap… save it for another thread.. 

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Again that is missing the point. To derive wealth as a senior your house price has gone up, you’ve been granted a generous pension or economic conditions and infrastructure have been in place for you to thrive. None of which you are personally responsible for.

The hardest working people in the world are probably those in third world countries working 18 hour days doing physical labour. Hard work does not equal wealth. 

And it’s ME who’s missing the point? lol 

1 hour ago, MPH said:

And it’s ME who’s missing the point? lol 

Yes ofc you’re missing the point. Lcfc like all other commercial enterprises have no interest in say ‘thank you’ to Colin for his 38 years of hard work lol, they want his money. Students and OAPs traditionally have less money, so a way to extract their money is offer them better rates. That is no longer rational for OAPs.
Do you really think a KPI of commercial depts across the world is saying ‘thank you’ to old people. 

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yes ofc you’re missing the point. Lcfc like all other commercial enterprises have no interest in say ‘thank you’ to Colin for his 38 years of hard work lol, they want his money. Students and OAPs traditionally have less money, so a way to extract their money is offer them better rates. That is no longer rational for OAPs.
Do you really think a KPI of commercial depts across the world is saying ‘thank you’ to old people. 

ok so explain the discount then?

On 17/08/2024 at 11:49, Soar Fox said:

Is it ok with you if I claim the £1 seniors discount for my haircut and a£1 off £7:95 lunch (sandwich) in my local?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

There are a lot of us old codgers that are in a better financial position than the young.  We don't have a mortgage any more which is a big plus but a lot of us don't have an additional nice comfy final salary (defined benefits) pension and there are fewer of those around these days.  The state pension is approx. £10,000 per annum out of which council tax, general and water rates and energy charges have to be paid before we buy something to eat.  If we don't have an additional pension then it's difficult to afford luxuries, and attending a PL football match is a luxury these days.   Any discount would be good but for many of us it's of no consequence, the charges are still too high.

What we do have is FIXED INCOME. 

We can't earn extra by working overtime or bonuses. What we get is what we get. Plus, private pensions are subject to the stock market and interest rates, currently affecting pensions negatively.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Is it ok with you if I claim the £1 seniors discount for my haircut and a£1 off £7:95 lunch (sandwich) in my local?

Thanks.

You could make a weeks worth of sandwiches for £7.95. 

Though that wasn’t what I originally said, I was on about season & match tickets. 

52 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

See post again:

Students and OAPs traditionally have less money, so a way to extract their money is offer them better rates. That is no longer rational for OAPs.

but this doesn’t make sense if full paying adults who could easily take their seats are being kept out?

If you taxed people on body fat percentage, the country would be in a better shape health wise. Annual assessment, then crack on! 

10% body fat - 10% fax for the next six month.

45% body fat, you’re spending too much money on food. 45% tax.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sly said:

If you taxed people on body fat percentage, the country would be in a better shape health wise. Annual assessment, then crack on! 

10% body fat - 10% fax for the next six month.

45% body fat, you’re spending too much money on food. 45% tax.

:ph34r:

I used to look after a young man who was blind, had epilepsy, was in a wheelchair and had learning difficulties. And had part of his scull missing from an operation he had to have.  When he turned 18 the government insisted he went for a ‘ suitable for work’ interview..  had to wait 3 months for the interview and several months whilst they discussed the results. can’t imagine how they’d assess 65 million people efficiently!

Edited by MPH