Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Iheanacho

9 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

He’s a great finisher but his all round game is poor and doesn’t suit our style of play. The only way he starts is as the furthest player forward , and that position is Vardy’s. 

His allround game can be improved. Finishing is something you either have or not and that's the most important quality for a striker.

Let's suppose Vardy is injured. Who's going to play upfront then? Furthermore with Puel's aka possession based football with the ball kept on the floor, he can be a real alternative to Vardy against teams sitting deep.

Just don't play him behind the striker because he's shit at that. The real question is when are we going to buy an upgrade on Shinji?

Edited by ZeGuy

3 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

He’s a great finisher but his all round game is poor and doesn’t suit our style of play. The only way he starts is as the furthest player forward , and that position is Vardy’s. 

Haven't seen enough him given enough game time to judge on that to be honest! Young and in a new side, still alot to learn!

Just taking the positives :) 

He played a beauty of a ball for Slimani, who unfortunately scuffed the shot wide. He has ability and I think writing him off saying he cant do this and he cant do that is not how the management will be thinking. They will want him to add to his game.

I think some on here have it in their heads he should be like Vardy up top or like Okazaki behind the striker. Those two football players are a bit weird, you cant expect him to be like them. He'll be his own weird and might develop aspects you didnt expect.

He's had to adapt from Man C to us, that doesnt happen overnight, especially with his injury early on and our own internal issues as a club. We'll see what happens, but i hope this is the start of his integration

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Biggest issue is neither Nacho or Slim compliment Vardy, they only really work instead of him.

Vardy is going to play every week so we're going to have £55 million pounds worth of player doing nothing on the bench most weeks.

Exactly this. Vardy is so good and so crucial to us that any other striker will have to accept playing second fiddle to him, it’s a dilemma because we have to have quality back up in case of injury.

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Biggest issue is neither Nacho or Slim compliment Vardy, they only really work instead of him.

Vardy is going to play every week so we're going to have £55 million pounds worth of player doing nothing on the bench most weeks.

But at least we now have a different option in Nacho. I've been impressed that CP is trying to find patterns that fit the players weve got, rather than continually trying to fit players into wrong positions. Still work in progress, but progresss none the less.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

But at least we now have a different option in Nacho. I've been impressed that CP is trying to find patterns that fit the players weve got, rather than continually trying to fit players into wrong positions. Still work in progress, but progresss none the less.

Exactly. For this you need games, that's why we're still bound to lose some odd ones until he finds the right balance.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

For now, this remains true. However, if we get into the Europa league then if you include all cup games (Europa, League Cup, FA Cup) then you almost have twice as many games to play. In that situation, suddenly our squad looks very good. In our debut Champions League year a big issue was that we had no squad depth, in fact we had a worse squad than winning the title because the Kante loss was so big.

Imagine if we had the same squad we had now but were still involved in the Champions League? I feel like our league form wouldn't have suffered so much. We could literally play two good teams, one for the big games in either competition and another for slightly weaker opposition. Nacho and Slimani could certainly feature in a squad setup like this.

Essentially this is what the very top teams do that compete across a wide range of competitions and it's the next logical step for the club. A team that is perennially top 7 or above and able to go on decent runs in all cup competitions. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Nacho came to life after his goal, looked a different player 

I think he got better as the game went on to, and he made some very useful runs, but still not convinced by him yet but willing to give him more time to adapt he is still young...

Similarly to Slimani in previous rounds of the cup, once Iheanacho scored, he looked a different player. It's a confidence thing, especially for a young lad like him. He now needs to prove consistency. Something that Slimani lacks. I hope he gets more game time. He's a natural finisher and given the choice between Vardy being 1 on 1 and Iheancho I would pick the latter all day long. Unfortunately I don't think he will ever get the number of chances as Vardy as his game is totally different.

Last night showed what most of us already knew. He can finish and he's clearly got talent. Hopefully now he gets his head down in training and maybe we will see him for 20+ minutes in the next game and then a full 90 again in the cup.

Finally we seen the player we thought we bought last summer.

I agree with the sentiment that he's a No9 regardless of him thinking himself that he's a No10. If we can get Europa League football next season then that can solve more problems than it creates in lots of positions and Vardy and Iheanacho can share the No9 duties.

He was dogshit in the first half. Everytime he got the ball he either lost it or passed it backwards - passing backwards was our greatest sin in the first half and in all of our games - after the goal he was a different player. 

He looks even better than Vardy when he's through 1 on 1 but he isn't anywhere near Vardy for his pressing and work ethic which means he's just a back-up for Vardy unless we go 2 up front in games. They could probably work well together as a two because they are both unselfish but that would mean scrapping our wingers and that's not going to happen is it? 

I hope he's happy to stay and work and fill in for Vardy occasionally for a couple of years before taking over the lead role but somehow I doubt that. He clearly has the makings of a great player but I don't see it working out for him at Leicester. Happy to be wrong though.

I truly think that in terms of finishing Iheanacho has proved he is second to none. And that's on a global scale.

If he has the ball in a dangerous position you really expect him to score.

Now... in a game where scoring is the most important thing this is really an exceptional skill. Even now Iheanacho is probably a 20+ goal per season striker, but I truly understand that he tends to not add much for most of the game, but then suddenly scores. 

It's a tough one. He's a very unusual type of gamechanger... I get why he can be frustrating. But isn't scoring goals more important than being brilliant on the ball?

i cant understand why some people are making conclusions about his work ethic and this and that. Mahrez wasn't setting the world alight when he first joined, now look at him. We need to give him more game time to develop, grow in confidence etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smr said:

i cant understand why some people are making conclusions about his work ethic and this and that. Mahrez wasn't setting the world alight when he first joined, now look at him. We need to give him more game time to develop, grow in confidence etc.

3 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts and about another dozen put on a plate and missed by the strikers. He was about as instant a hit as you get like Kante.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

He needs games to improve and gel with our players, this is part of my issue with massive rotation in cup games, if Iheanacho and Mahrez find a good understanding that could be lethal, but if he only gets his chances when we rest all of our big names then it becomes a pointless exercise.

His best position seems to be leading the line and finishing chances, yes that is Vardy's position, but I have confidence in Vardy taking a wider role his pace will still cause loads of problems, if it is more of a 433 with Nacho up top, Vardy and Mahrez supporting, then Iborra, Ndidi and Silva in midfield then that could be a formation that works to our strengths. The front 3 would need to put a shift in to help protect the flanks, but it would get our 3 best forwards and 3 best midfielders on the pitch, and the likes of Albrighton, Gray, Slimani, Okazaki couldd also fit in that formation. Or it could be a disaster if we have no width and it all gets too congested in the middle.

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

3 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts and about another dozen put on a plate and missed by the strikers. He was about as instant a hit as you get like Kante.

Agreed. He added a new dimension immediately and jumped straight ahead of Knockaert in the pecking order within a month or so.

With regards to Nacho, I thought he looked well off the pace, clumsy and frustrated before his first goal. But he looked willing if disheartened.

He morphed as soon as that goal went in and second half linked up far better, showed good movement, ball retention and looked dangerous in the box.

Hopefully he can use this as a springboard and feed off this performance for the next month.

On this form, I would argue we have three very able strikers and his chance may come sooner than we think with Vardy not exactly prolific lately.

I wouldn't use the term "great finisher". You have to remember the state of the opposition last night and you'd expect him to get a couple of chances. Yes, he took his goals well and if he can replicate that in the League then his price tag won't look so embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I wouldn't use the term "great finisher". You have to remember the state of the opposition last night and you'd expect him to get a couple of chances. Yes, he took his goals well and if he can replicate that in the League then his price tag won't look so embarrassing.

Took all 3 chances last night and finished nicely against Leeds in the cup. Only disappointing shot I've seen to far was probably against Man City but it was a decent save by Bravo.

He seemed to suit the role of playing in front of Mahrez, Gray and Albrighton fairly well. When we seem to retain possession and create attacks is when he seems to be at his best. Minute that first goal went in, you could see his body language change and he became better. 

Glad Puel left him on, the game time will have done his confidence wonders