Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Iheanacho

32 minutes ago, nepa fox said:

I was just recalling something I had read, where he said he enjoys playing as the second striker. You are right though. The 9 seems to fit him best.

He probably enjoyed playing as a second striker at Man City with the likes of Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero, Jesus creating for him. It's a bit different to being second striker to Jamie Vardy, only Shinji has the pace and energy to keep up  with him all game. If you play second striker behind Vardy your job is to play the ball in front of him to chase on to, then watch him streak away and score. Aguero and Jesus are very different players, they take up different positions and have a more varied game than outright pace. Defenders will also react differently to them and get pulled about by their movement. Against Vardy they will stay deep and hope they don't get caught out by his pace, which means the midfield plays deeper as they are more concerned about Vardy, Mahrez and Gray than what Ndidi and Iborra will do so it clogs up the space and crowds out the second striker.

• Like 1

Looks a born poacher to me as his finishing seems strong but his positional and approach play look average at best. I'd get him watching some old Tony Cottee videos and be saying 'try and replicate this' - seriously. TC barely left the 6 yard box but was brilliant inside it. I'd be telling Kelechi to do the same.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I am genuinely intrigued as to how you can infer this from an interview?  Did he say the phrase "I am a bit of a loner"?  Honestly not having a go, just impressed if someone can deduce something like that from a Sky Sports interview.  How did you do it?

X

He always striked me like someone who is a bit shy and socially awkward, which is understandable given his background.

5 minutes ago, Marutimon said:

He always striked me like someone who is a bit shy and socially awkward, which is understandable given his background.

Yeah, I thought he seemed quite a nice young lad.  Jesus, if someone interviewed me at 21 and have come across as an absolute wazzspanger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah, I thought he seemed quite a nice young lad.  Jesus, if someone interviewed me at 21 and have come across as an absolute wazzspanger. 

Wazzspanger lol I love your posts Rumble.

• Like 1

Iheanacho’s slow development puts the club in a quandary.  Can they afford the luxury of keeping two 25M backup strikers, given the hole(s) at fullback?

Slim has the more consistent motor and rounded game, but at the age where he’s passing his peak.  He is decent money in the bank as a Plan B (high floor).  Iheanacho is a bet on the future (high ceiling).  You would rather retain the much younger player -- except he is not ready to step in today if we sell Slim and Vardy gets hurt.  As many strikers as we have, we are really just two deep at #9.

We still don't have the data points to project Kelechi's future in this side, and I wonder if Puel (though youth-oriented) has worked out how to engage, much less develop him.  If he is to lead the line, the club may have to transition ever more toward possession in the attacking end (exit the “classic Leicester” Vardy-centric era).  A big ask, and not the most easily sustained course for a long-term PL future..

This is why I hope Puel can get KI’s development onto the fast track.  He’s too young and promising to write off, but too expensive for his current role.  I suppose a serious bid for Slimani could make the decision for us,, in which case Iheanacho hits that fast track ready or not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

What do you exactly mean with "WE"?

FT wrongly slating him to no end although he barely played or the club did buy the wrong guy?

Our club bought the wrong guy.... he doesnt play coz he doesn't take his chances owing to a poor first touch and inability to dribble rather than play kick and run 

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

If it helps, you still come across as an absolute wazzspanger. 

Sorry, not true, but I couldn't resist... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, halibut said:

Reading the thread, it's sounding like he scored a brace against a top 6 side.

It's excellent that he had a great match, and I think he earned his rights to be considered a starter for the next round of the FA Cup. But excessive hype ain't helping anyone here: these were goals against a non-Prem team.

Last season for example Southampton made it to the EFL Cup finals, rotating like crazy under Puel. They managed quite a few clean sheets if I remember correctly. Methinks that's a pretty fair standard for comparison's sake: players not currently starting have an opportunity and an obligation with the Cup matches. We failed last time, and passed the test in the subsequent rematch. We're probably a better team now, having experienced and survived (=won) the round. Best of luck to all!

And reading your post it's like he's never scored against any one good before.

He has scored in the Champions League, he's scored premier league goals against Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and others and scored at international level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

And reading your post it's like he's never scored against any one good before.

He has scored in the Champions League, he's scored premier league goals against Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and others and scored at international level.

He's had plenty of games for Manchester City under Pep Guardiola and he doesn't come across as a manager that suffers fools gladly by any means.

iheanacho has been a huge disappointment since we bought him but last night he showed his class hitting the back of the net three times with very cool finishes. He was the Golden Ball winner in the U17 World Cup and played 46 times for Man City up to the age of 20. There's certainly a player in there and his pedigree is top class. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He's had plenty of games for Manchester City under Pep Guardiola and he doesn't come across as a manager that suffers fools gladly by any means.

iheanacho has been a huge disappointment since we bought him but last night he showed his class hitting the back of the net three times with very cool finishes. He was the Golden Ball winner in the U17 World Cup and played 46 times for Man City up to the age of 20. There's certainly a player in there and his pedigree is top class. 

I have been hoping you are right - but I just can'tr see it.  Last night he was to timid to challenge to the ball.. first touch was terrible and his dribbling is just punting it and chasing.  All in all he is not improving and may even be going backwards.  Getting rid would show other players (like gray) that even if you are on 100k a week we will not tolerate mediocrity.

14 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I have been hoping you are right - but I just can'tr see it.  Last night he was to timid to challenge to the ball.. first touch was terrible and his dribbling is just punting it and chasing.  All in all he is not improving and may even be going backwards.  Getting rid would show other players (like gray) that even if you are on 100k a week we will not tolerate mediocrity.

Now this is pure ignorance. Writing him off so early doesn't put up for that and puts him even more backwards. He has barely played any time and needs time to develop and improve. 

A player with quality like he has shouldn't be binned but should be developed, even if that means a loan deal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marutimon said:

Well... given his ridiculous shot on goal / goal ratio when he was bought here - yes, he is a great finisher. Possibly one of the best. Players like Aguero, Ronaldo or even Messi don't have anything near those stats. But those guys create a lot of their own chances, so they will get twice as much scoring opportunities than Nacho if not more.

If you took Iheanacho's finishing stats prior to arrival and adjusted it to the number of scoring chances Messi had to score last year he would be close to 100 goals pers season.

I think people use the word great so readily nowadays that it doesn't have real meaning. A "great finisher" to me is some who is genuinely prolific. For example Arthur Rowley, the best centre forward England never had, just look at his record!!

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

I think people use the word great so readily nowadays that it doesn't have real meaning. A "great finisher" to me is some who is genuinely prolific. For example Arthur Rowley, the best centre forward England never had, just look at his record!!

Well... his goalscoring record, despite his poor start for the Foxes, has been prolific.

He would need to be played more to get a better idea of him though. He's scored 32 professional goals for club and country at a rate of almost 1 per game (plus 15 assists).

8 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

People can't seem to tell the difference between "hying someone up" and simply being positive due to the amount of negative stuff posted about him after about 400 minutes football.  I don't think anyone is saying he is suddenly world class because he scored 2 against Fleetwood more that maybe some people should give the young guy a chance.  X

What I am saying is starting someone in a game or giving them say 30 mins because of one reasonable game is a kneejerk reaction.

If managers did a kneejerk for every small bit of good or bad form, there would be 6 changes to the team every week.

He scored two goals vs fleetwood town.

It looks to me people are putting a player above the team.

The normal sane action assuming no crisis, is players that are not good enough either have to wait it out or develop via a loan to another club, the likes of chilwell and james have had to do this, is nacho special or something?

I remain convinced that players age seems to be a prime factor in worthiness of first team minutes on foxestalk.  If nacho was 30 I bet he wouldnt be getting the same treatment.

Edited by Chrysalis

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

What I am saying is starting someone in a game or giving them say 30 mins because of one reasonable game is a kneejerk reaction.

If managers did a kneejerk for every small bit of good or bad form, there would be 6 changes to the team every week.

He scored two goals vs fleetwood town.

It looks to me people are putting a player above the team.

The normal sane action assuming no crisis, is players that are not good enough either have to wait it out or develop via a loan to another club, the likes of chilwell and james have had to do this, is nacho special or something?

I remain convinced that players age seems to be a prime factor in worthiness of first team minutes on foxestalk.  If nacho was 30 I bet he wouldnt be getting the same treatment.

He's barely moved here. Didn't have a pre-season with the team. And struggled with niggling injuries.

Not to mention he moved to a team that was struggling to find out how they should play.

Some players adjust with no problem, some take a while.

Do you remember Salah's stint at Chelsea? And where is he now? Being compared to Messi.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Marutimon said:

Do you remember Salah's stint at Chelsea? And where is he now? Being compared to Messi.

Are you suggesting that Iheanacho should move on to a different team where he could shine? 

Don't know about his wages, but I'd rather have a young prospect stay and work his way up the ladder here.  He just had a good display in the second attempt against Fleetwood Town.  The next round of the FA Cup seems a natural choice.