Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Iheanacho

29 minutes ago, Gerard said:

TBF to @GaelicFox his opinion would have been controversial at the time for the best goalscorer in PL history by goals per minute.

Time will tell if he's right but considering Man City decided to sell and the performances we've seen from Iheanacho so far he may well be right. Usually you can tell a quality player quite quickly but I've yet to see Iheanacho do anything that I thought was a wow moment. Like the rest of the strikers we've bought since our title win I'd take my money back if offered it for Slimani, Iheanacho and Musa.

I've not wrote Iheanacho off quite yet but he's certainly failed to impress so far.

Man city deciding to sell means nothing beyond "he's not as good as aguero, Jesus or sane", but those three are arguably world class. Doubting whether he suits our style of play is reasonable, hard to say under Shakespeare given we didn't have a coherent plan in most games - with where Puel looks like going, he should be a good fit, but we're not there yet, but suggesting he's not a quality player just shows you don't follow football.

He would need a run of games to be fair to him and compared with the other players mentioned and his age, I'm a long way short of despair with him yet.

It's not long ago that some people were demanding that players bought in fitted in with our Premiership winning style and, whilst I do have some sympathy and exceptence of that, practically speaking where do we find for example another Kante?  Is there one out there? Can we afford him? Would he sooner go to another club? Likewise Drinkwater.  Both were very integral to that special season. Yet, early days as it is,  Puell is adjusting our style, just as other teams styles have to adapt to the strengths of their players. There's less long ball, more passing, yet still good to watch. A style I think that may be more beneficial to Iheanacho in the long run.

At this moment in time Vardy,  quite rightly, is our centrepiece striker. Can Iheanacho, with help from Puell adapt to compliment Vardy? I can't say. There will come a point however in the next couple of seasons when  Vardy's powers will start to wane and if Iheanacho is still here it is not beyond the realms that this still very young man will be the new, but different in style focal point.

• Like 1

There's no way Vardy could be replaced at the moment but I think Iheanacho could easily compliment him. Having said that Okazaki is playing out of his skin at the moment.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Man city deciding to sell means nothing beyond "he's not as good as aguero, Jesus or sane", but those three are arguably world class. Doubting whether he suits our style of play is reasonable, hard to say under Shakespeare given we didn't have a coherent plan in most games - with where Puel looks like going, he should be a good fit, but we're not there yet, but suggesting he's not a quality player just shows you don't follow football.

I'm suggesting he MIGHT not be the quality player most of us believed we'd signed. From the evidence we have so far he doesn't look value for money but maybe you've seen something that I've missed as you "follow football" and I obviously don't. :rolleyes:

Not being Manchester City standard is hardly a fair stick to beat someone with but it still says something that they would rather cash in on him than persevere with him despite his goals and his young age. 

Just now, Gerard said:

I'm suggesting he MIGHT not be the quality player most of us believed we'd signed. From the evidence we have so far he doesn't look value for money but maybe you've seen something that I've missed as you "follow football" and I obviously don't. :rolleyes:

Not being Manchester City standard is hardly a fair stick to beat someone with but it still says something that they would rather cash in on him than persevere with him despite his goals and his young age. 

You're confusing not fitting our style with not being a good player. Anyone who saw his years for man city knows he is a top penalty box predator. 

Just now, The Doctor said:

You're confusing not fitting our style with not being a good player. Anyone who saw his years for man city knows he is a top penalty box predator. 

You're presuming again and Iheanacho in his own words sees himself as a No10 and not a "penalty box predator". 

Style or no style I've yet to see him do much that screamed quality to me and that has nothing to do with playing style. I was ecstatic when we signed him as he ticked just about every box I want from a new signing but whilst the jury is still out and it's unfair to make a judgement on him he has under delivered so far, no question about that. 

• Like 1

A lot of FT were writing Iborra off too, before he got settled and had a chance to play because of injury, now you’re on my Iborra is a beast bus, so please give Nacho chance to actually get going.

Edited by SheppyFox
  • Like 4

You can get away with being ‘just a finisher’ in teams that are better than most, teams that can create chances at will.

But clubs like ours can never afford to have that sort of player.

His finishing ability may be top notch but he has a lot to prove in terms of his all round game. If it doesn’t get significantly better, he’ll never fit in here.

• Like 1

With Vardy being so important to the way we play, Okazaki being consistently good this season and also Puel deciding to play Vardy up top on his tod with Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton sitting in behind him, he's going to find it hard getting in. Doesn't help also that his fitness isn't up to scratch.

He just needs to knuckle down and work hard in training and take his chance when he gets it. Let's hope he can stay patient.

Must admit though that I was surprised he wasn't bought on deep into the second half against Burnley.

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino

I'll play a useful part in this next run. We have 8 games in something like 24 days so virtually the whole squad will have to be involved. 

Looked like a real good signing and may still turn out great for us. The one issue i have is that you'd expect a 25M international player to have a good touch and game awareness, if nothing else. Unfortunately not seen much of this with Nacho. 

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

What a load of shite. He's a fantastic goalscorer, thats not up for debate. You can argue whether he fits how we want to play, but his ability isn't in question by anyone who watched any of his games for Man City.

Fantastic goal scorer lol 

why isnt he in the team then ? 

Cos he ain’t good enough 

£25m ... we had our pants taken down 

and the cunning “we want a buy back clause” was genius from Man City to maximise the cash for this squad player 

Edited by GaelicFox

1 hour ago, sm1 said:

Looked like a real good signing and may still turn out great for us. The one issue i have is that you'd expect a 25M international player to have a good touch and game awareness, if nothing else. Unfortunately not seen much of this with Nacho. 

Looked .... in a team of world class players 

even strirling looks like Messi in that team now 

Edited by GaelicFox

7 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Doesn't fit the way we play.

He is obviously a good player but just poor recruitment again.

Him and Slimani have been poor recruitment. Both good goal scorers which is what we need but do little else for the team unlike Okazaki. If Okazaki had been as good as Slimani and other strikers at putting the ball into the back of the net we wouldn't have bought Slimani and Kalecki!

To be fair, Vardy wasnt great in his first season and some were saying at the time that he was a waste of money. I’m sure Vardy will need a rest at some stage over this Christmas period so I hope Nacho steps up and gives a Puel a nice selection problem. 

1 hour ago, GaelicFox said:

Fantastic goal scorer lol 

why isnt he in the team then ? 

Cos he ain’t good enough 

£25m ... we had our pants taken down 

and the cunning “we want a buy back clause” was genius from Man City to maximise the cash for this squad player 

Wrong on so many counts. He's not in the team because Vardy is integral to the way we play and a buy back clause doesn't increase your transfer income.

1 hour ago, GaelicFox said:

Looked .... in a team of world class players 

even strirling looks like Messi in that team now 

Sterling is a quality player though... Great with Liverpool, was England's big hope going into the last World Cup.

• Like 1

Too early too tell if he'll be good for us. When he gets his chance he needs to take it and show that he has what it takes to play well for us.

The jury is still out on him for me. My main doubts about him are his lack of awareness and his lack of a right foot (he barely uses it at all).