Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Spurs (H) 2-1 Post Match Thread

I’m howling over the Spurs fans reactions, oh man some of them think they’re Barca/PSG and Juve rolled into one. Yes I am resentful towards them as I used to like the club a couple of seasons ago, can’t wait until they lose Kane and Ali and go back to mid table medriocracy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Do agree with this, though I think there is a reason other than the intelligence of the manager.

TBH we're stuck between a rock and a hard place....

Our best football certainly comes from a high energy, 'front foot' style..

The trouble is, even with our players' above average fitness levels, it's impossible to keep up that tempo for a full '90'! There will come a time in every game where we have to 'drop off'...It's what to do then that causes us problems.

The 'tortoise' approach of retreating into our shell isn't 100% convincing !

Precisely. Trying, and failing, to deal with that (with the additional matches) is what cost Claudio his job.

We do come out very fast, and I think it's easier for fans to get behind a manager who finishes fast - better a 2-1 after being 0-1 down than 2-1 after being 2-0 up. Tough job managing a football club. Better a win I say. And with world class goals too. (Sorry - I'm a bit drunk and happy - we are such a good team when we are on it - and I've watched years of sometimes quite enjoyable ordinary football from us - I just can't take any negativity about this side, or the new manager - we are REALLY good)

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 1

Played well!

2nd half was again very defensive but we turned up for the first time in the 2nd half under Puel.

Had a couple of attacks in the 2nd which we should have done better with but on a whole it was very defensive and when Tottenham got one it was a waiting game until they got a second, luckily they didn’t.

Vardy should have scored in the 2nd half, Slimani should have done a lot better and probably scored.

Mahrez MOTM for me, quality everywhere - he even defended!

The aim for me was 4 points in these 2 games, but that was hoping (and not expecting) for a point tonight, call me greedy but I now want 6.

Edited by Matt

9 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I’m howling over the Spurs fans reactions, oh man some of them think they’re Barca/PSG and Juve rolled into one. Yes I am resentful towards them as I used to like the club a couple of seasons ago, can’t wait until they lose Kane and Ali and go back to mid table medriocracy. 

I'm with you. The over confidence of most posts before kick off is just too funny.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Glenn Hoddle, Harry the Horse, Delli Alli, Alan Sugar, Chas 'n Dave, Ossie going trembley at Wembley, to**er from two doors down from mine, you had your chances but your boys performed one hell of a bottling !!!!

Thats too much, and really OTT....Chas 'n Dave,  I liked them...:D

Hard work and a bit of luck got us through that game.

Could of been a whole different story if Spurs took their chances, three in particular should have been bagged. Our players though left everything on the line today, that was our most hard working and probably overall our best performance of the season, we knew they were going to come at us second half but for the most part we defended brilliantly.

Wes was heading pretty much everything, Chilwell made some key interceptions, Ndidi ran his socks off and Iborra was calm and composed as usual.

Best night since Sevilla.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Puel will do it his way, got to admire his resolve so far. Whether it was right to bring Choudhury on then over King or Amartey remains to be seen but it's refreshing to see him have no hesitation to give our youngsters a chance.

We were superb tonight, but that's because we took our chances and then didn't panic when Spurs got the ball. We still are a work in progress when teams turn it up in the 2nd half but please remember we are scoring the first goals and then teams are coming at us so we are half way there. We are able to score first, we just need to be able to manage games when it gets a bit hairy in the closing stages.

Vicente Iborra, you are a phenomenon.

Agree with pretty much all of that.  We definitely need to figure out a way of closing games out without inviting so much pressure but we are looking good I think.  Onward and upwards. X

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, trabuch said:

It's true.Fuchs was a major part of our title win - and I will never stop getting chills down my spine when I think about "that pass" to Vardy for his record breaking goal (genuinely spine tingling moment). But I think he is wise enough to know that it is time to step aside. I hope he helps behind the scenes - cos he has a good brain on him.

Totally agree that Chilwell should get more game time. If we could put Fuchs' head on Chilwells body we' have one of the best full backs in the league. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Agree with pretty much all of that.  We definitely need to figure out a way of closing games out without inviting so much pressure but we are looking good I think.  Onward and upwards. X

It's very difficult to do so when you've not necessarily been in control of possession all game, look at how we did it in 15/16. But we've just got to be an unbreakable wall from crosses and proving through balls, or we need to implement the passing spells of play Puel is teaching us at the right times.

Tonight we mixed fast counter attacks from direct play in the first half with some decent ball retention but then we struggled to retain the ball 2nd half. I'd look at that and say at least we are having spells of looking to mix it up and move the ball well, so it's a case of being able to do that in the closing stages of games and then we're a nasty beast to deal with.

• Like 4

Puel has been smart I think.  Playing Gray and Chilly more and bringing on Choudhury today really must send out positive messages to all of our youth players.  I love King and the like but I suppose if there is not much to pick between an older squad player and a youth prospect it makes sense to go with the youth.  X

• Like 3