Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonzey01

Aiming for 6th or 7th realistic now?

Keen to get peoples thoughts on this, looking at the table. The traditional teams around this area Everton/WestHam/WBA/Southampton aren't exactly pulling up trees at the moment.  

I fancy us with a couple of additions in Jan to be in for a good shout of 6th/7th if key players stay fit (Schmeichel, Iborra, Mahrez, Vardy etc).

Maybe just maybe the passports will be back out next year?? 

The thinking is,

-If Silva comes in and hits the ground running like were all hoping that will give them a big lift, plus James to come back fit at some point, will sure up CM, which looks threadbare if Iborra or Ndidi get injured atm.

-Get rid of some deadwood, Ullua, King, Benny, Musa and reinvest in one or two decent additions (RB unless Amartey can step up) and I'd like us to get another winger to put pressure on Albrighton, Gray and Mahrez we could be in for a tidy finish.

Our horrible run at the start has to pay dividends over the coming weeks. 

Plus Burnley and Watford will fade you would like to think. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I'd be cautiously optimistic about a top half finish. We've only just started life under Puel and he has steadied the ship. We do not look like a top 6 side (yet). Over the course of the season, I think the number of points accurately reflects our performances. Last night's game has created some optimism, but let's see if we can recreate performances like the first half regularly.

It's absolutely possible to finish top half and it should be our aim, but we are vulnerable if Vardy, Iborra, Schmeichel, Morgan or Ndidi become unavailable. The January window will likely have a lot to say on our fortunes this season.

Edited by shen
  • Like 3

I look at like this, think

who is worse than us in the league, and there are quite a few teams. 

On our day we still could beat everyone, maybe except City and our hoodoo against Arsenal which seems to have gone on forever. It only takes a decent run of games while teams are playing badly to build a gap, look at what Watford and Burnley have done.

I do hope we smash Burnley on Saturday 14 members of my family are in the Burnley end at the weekend, and it will be unbearable if we don't get a result.  

Edited by Jonzey01

9 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

We won one game ffs. Before that we went three without, which included one of our worst halves since we came up three years ago.

We've not been consistent across one game yet, let alone a string of games. We should still be looking over our shoulders at the bottom 3 for now.

Nah.

We produced a lot of shite under Ranieri last season - Hull away, Sunderland away, United home etc. Sunderland away last season was one of the worst games I've been too.

Edited by Fox92

Securing 8 will be already a very tough challenge, i'm afraid top 6 is an absolute surrealistic stretch. 

Even though we'd have a terrific manager, the fact is we just can't rotate enough of our first teamers to keep them over-performing the whole season.

We have sub-par options coming from the bench in regards to the likes of Kasper, Morgan, Simpson, Mahrez and Vardy.

In the run of the season, this will be our biggest weakness when shooting for a top 8, let alone beating the like of Looserpool or the Arse to the 6th spot.

I would have snatched your arm for a top 13 finish before we'd even kicked a ball this season, so anything bellow 10 is the icing on the cake imho.

• Like 1

Next set of games are:

- Burnley (H)
- Newcastle (A)
- Southampton (A)
- Crystal Palace (H)
- Man City (H, EFL Cup)

Every one of those games is winnable, so let's see where we are after those. Best case scenario we could already be 7th / 8th and in the semi final of a cup. It's definitely achievable based on recent performances and the upturn in both results and the way we are playing. Burnley and Watford are above us in the table on merit right now, but over 38 games I think we have a better team and squad than those two and could / should overhaul them.

• Like 1

I think 7th is definitely achievable but I worry about our congested fixture list during December and the New Year's Day we need to stay injury free and focussed. We also need our top players to stay loyal to us until the end of the season. One step at a time, there's a 4 point gap to move up 1 place......we need to get that seen to.....if results go our way  with Burnley tonight and Saturday, we'll move ahead of them.

We won't finish ahead of any of the so called big six, but 7th place is perfectly realistic as far as I'm concerned. The traditional teams that fill the 7th to 10th places are floundering - West Ham, Everton, Southampton, Stoke - and have been replaced by Watford and Burnley. I expect Watford and Burnley to last the course and be competitive in the top half of the table, I'm not writing them off of course but I think we should be expecting to compete with them and should be looking to overtake them over the next few months. We're under a new manager and the team is learning his methods. I've been impressed so far and we are improving, I think with a couple of key additions in some areas and the arrival of Silva plus retaining Mahrez and Vardy, we should be looking ahead to a good period of time at the football club.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

The squad is actually fantastic.

Genuine cover in most positions and the first 11 is properly good.

We're in a good spot right now. With Silva to come in too.

Yep - King/Ulloa/Musa great replacements?