Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonzey01

Aiming for 6th or 7th realistic now?

After a sluggish start its good going to be 9th at present.

The top half of the table is surely a minimum target for the club but we still to play 4 of the current top 6 away from home. Since the return 3 years ago and outside of the 2015/16 season our away form against the top 6 has been dismal. Only 2 points out of 36 (leaving out 'that' season') since the return so to get to europe we need to get a win or a few draws against the established sides to really come close to Europe.

1 hour ago, DrezZone said:

Considering how Arsenal, Liverpool, and Tottenham are struggling, I wouldn't rule out overtaking one of them.

That'd be a tall order. Finishing above Spurs and stealing them the last european spot would be glorious though.

• Thanks 1

I see no reason why we can't finish 6th or 7th. The problem really is that the league is so condensed from 7th down that a couple of losses in a row can drop you several places down the league table. We all know we're as capable of losing to teams as we are beating teams.  If Claude can install a bit of consistency, which he seems to be slowly doing, we are more than capable of a very successful season.

Getting exciting now....innit.

Thats all !!... I believe many of us wanted.

Performances, games that give us consolidation and strength , importantly a chance that allows us to take on the higher dreams.

Lets see if we can keep Everton + Southampton at bay,

A real chance to chase Watford and Burnley down, and an inkling to put the breeze up the Spurs,

'we coming to get you totty, we are after you mr kane'.

we are getting our smile back, we dare to dream, we can be proud and fearless again.

We are back in the game...

Banana Skins, will be part of this rebuild, patience our extra player...

• Like 1

I was actually looking forward to just going a few weeks where I don't look at the league table every three hours and do permutations and scenarios in my head. Or check to see who's our manager or who's leaving or what scandal or club disaster has happened.

Now ya'all talking about Europe again. I wanted a nice calm Pueltide Christmas to discuss a right back backup option and Kasper's distribution.

Seasons Greetings.

• Like 2

On 29/11/2017 at 12:31, Jonzey01 said:

Keen to get peoples thoughts on this, looking at the table. The traditional teams around this area Everton/WestHam/WBA/Southampton aren't exactly pulling up trees at the moment.  

I fancy us with a couple of additions in Jan to be in for a good shout of 6th/7th if key players stay fit (Schmeichel, Iborra, Mahrez, Vardy etc).

Maybe just maybe the passports will be back out next year?? 

The thinking is,

-If Silva comes in and hits the ground running like were all hoping that will give them a big lift, plus James to come back fit at some point, will sure up CM, which looks threadbare if Iborra or Ndidi get injured atm.

-Get rid of some deadwood, Ullua, King, Benny, Musa and reinvest in one or two decent additions (RB unless Amartey can step up) and I'd like us to get another winger to put pressure on Albrighton, Gray and Mahrez we could be in for a tidy finish.

Our horrible run at the start has to pay dividends over the coming weeks. 

Plus Burnley and Watford will fade you would like to think. 

Thoughts?

I stopped reading when you listed key players for this squad i.e Kingy as dead wood. 

I think top half would be a fantastic achievement given tecent circumstances. Top half with a decent cup run will do me. :)

7th is definitely realistic based on both current form and performances. You couldn't say that earlier in the season but now we look like an accomplished team with proven quality across our squad. The biggest difference for me is that now when we beat teams, it's not just through attrition or force of will, but most of the time by actually out playing them or providing the quality moments during the game. 

I do have a word of caution on cup runs though. You generally see teams drop off as they compete in cups, Southampton last year tailed off badly after losing in the League Cup final and it's happened to us in the Martin O'Neil years where we could probably have finished higher up the table but always had one eye on the Cup, which was awesome to win. In fact I'd probably prefer winning a cup and finishing 9th to say finishing 6th/7th and having no silverware, but I also want to be greedy and hope for both! 

So we could definitely see performances taper off a bit, especially if we beat Man City and go the two legs of the League Cup, but we are blessed with a great squad this year which bodes well. I'd also expect one or two more players in the window given our new manager and though we will probably lose a few players, I imagine he will bring in technical players, which will only help our cause.. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

I am happy that Burnley have a fairly comfortable run-in with only 2 games against theTop Six in the final 12 games....if we can stay in touch with whoever is 7th/8th we could well finish very strongly....also we have already played 4 of the Top Six away plus Leicester, Everton and Southampton on the road. Bournemouth are the only strugglers we have played away.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Good day for us. We had the hardest game but we're the only one of the three to pick up a point. I think we're probably seeing the start of Burnley's decline.

Our big games coming up are against Watford at home, Everton away and then later in the season against Burnley away. 5 out of 9 points from those games and I think we will get 7th. Losing to Burnley might make it hard given that it will create a 6 point swing in their favour so that is a must not lose.

I think our team and squad is much better than those teams and we have shown we can play well. So unless one of those teams goes on a mad winning run I'd be disappointing not to get 7th now seeing how well we are playing. In fact maybe I am too positive but I think we are setting a good platform to break the top 6 or better in the next few years. Arsenal in my opinion are in complete disarray given that at the end of the season they will likely be without Sanchez and Ozil and not in the Champions League. Though they have a lot of money they have signed very average players in recent years like Mustafi, Xhaka and Elneny. Lacazette has done OK but they paid way over the odds for him. They are definitely catachable in my opinion and even Spurs could be if they lost some of their star players to bigger clubs.

This season might lack the adrenaline factor of the title winning year, but we have that look of a "club on the up" about us. I just think we have to be careful and avoid being a Stoke or Southampton. Both of those clubs until this season were very consistent (Stoke finished 8th 3 times in a row at one point) but never looked like pushing into a top 5 team. Whilst that is so much better than yesteryear when we were in League One, it's still a problem to watch out for. Given the money boom of the league right now it's important to take advantage because the gap between teams is growing at an incredible rate. Look at Sunderland right now, bottom of the Championship just one year after being relegated from the Premier League.

Should definately be looking at winning our next 3/4 home games with watford, swansea, stoke and bournemouth coming up. (not sure if that's the right ordered) the difficult games on paper with have left are man City (a), arsenal (h) and spurs (a) last game. I didn't think we could but we do have a great chance of 7th at least.