Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonzey01

Aiming for 6th or 7th realistic now?

Sky says 7th is a Europa League spot if the League and FA cup are won by the top six (although I think that should be the top five). This is partly why if we crash out of the FA cup I will not mind so much (as long as a top five team wins it and we finish seventh).

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10800452/boost-for-everton-with-premier-leagues-seventh-place-side-likely-to-make-europa-league

Arsenal is the logical target, but the key for us is consistency. That is why yesterday was such a revelation in my eyes, we showed the sort of consistency we need to be a top-6 side. If we could play that cohesively and skillfully against teams in the bottom half, we will wipe the floor with many of them. We have a huge stretch of games against inferior teams coming up, 27 points available from teams in the bottom half of the table, plus home matches against Watford and Arsenal, and road matches vs. Everton, Burnley, MC, and Tottenham. If we play like we did yesterday, we can pick up the majority of that 27 points, and we have a decent shot at results at home against Watford and on the road at Everton, maybe Burnley. Realistically, we should be targeting 60+ and be putting Arsenal under pressure, they are about to lose some of their most talented players, maybe it will be addition by subtraction, IDK, but I feel like this Arsenal side will be a bit adrift and ripe for the picking. If we can take them at home, that leaves 5 points to make up. Our lads may not be able to catch them, but I think they are a target that makes sense so long as we keep Mahrez. If we are playing cohesive, confident football we are at the top-6 level. And if we don't quite get there let's catch Burnley and make a deep cup run, this team should be playing in the Europa, it would be a very competitive team in that competition.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Stay consistent and taking over 7 th is a possibility, Everton you would expect to challenge for it, but they have been inconsistent under big Sam.

Our match week after next @ Everton will go a long way to determining whether they are competitive for that 7th spot. If we can get at least a draw there, that would work for me, although we are a better team, we should be looking for three points there.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I reckon we could finish seventh, but sixth will probably take a minor miracle, and relies too much on the likes of Arsenal going through a bad patch.

Arsenal are in decline DT and this transfer window could result in them embarking on that bad run!

• Like 1

Just now, Blue Fox 72 said:

Fluke in 2015/16? lol Total nonsense!

You don't win the Premier League over 38 games by fluke. Furthermore we won it by 10 points and only lost 3 games all season.

Sorry, I should have said that everyone other contender had a mare then and it was a freak.

Am I wrong with that too? Why have we never been close before then?

It was a freak, not a fluke. It was a fluke in that we beat teams having a mare consistently and they continued to consistently have a mare.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Sorry, I should have said that everyone other contender had a mare then and it was a freak.

Am I wrong with that too? Why have we never been close before then?

It was a freak, not a fluke. It was a fluke in that we beat teams having a mare consistently and they continued to consistently have a mare.

We were the best team, end of... 

Spurs & Arsenal had their best season for years. Man Utd were consistent with their performances over the past 5 years. Man City were great until we beat them in Feb. Only Chelsea had a 'mare'.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Miella27 said:

We were the best team, end of... 

Spurs & Arsenal had their best season for years. Man Utd were consistent with their performances over the past 5 years. Man City were great until we beat them in Feb. Only Chelsea had a 'mare'.

Yes, Okay. It is hard to argue with the theory. The reality is grossly different. Did we underperform last year so badly, the top 3 all had a result then, or was it the that the status quo had reverted?

3 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Yes, Okay. It is hard to argue with the theory. The reality is grossly different. Did we underperform last year so badly, the top 3 all had a result then, or was it the that the status quo had reverted?

Sorry I disagree. Why is the reality so grossly different? 

Teams and players abilities fluctuate yearly. Historically, the 'big 6' manage the change in players abilities as they become either less or more effective, better than the other teams (having bigger budgets makes this easier as well). 

its well acknowledged that we didn't make the most of our position at the end of that season as a club - poor signings, indecision whether to evolve or stick to winning formula etc... but I feel it shouldn't detract from the fact that during that one season, we was the best team in England. 

Kante, Mahrez, Vardy, Schmeichel are all well known on the world stage and continue to perform to a high standard, ok Schmeichels wobbled a bit recently, but compare their performances over the past 3 years to the title winning Man Utd team of 2013. Barring David De Gea, I'm not sure any of those players have proven anything since then, but no-one questions whether that was lucky/fluke. 

Succes comes as a result of the effectiveness of  players/manager/coaches in that moment, not whether the club are usually successful or not. 

Anyway, it's just an opinion. I really should be making better use of my Saturday nights!!

Neither Chelsea or Watford were great but we did play decently and beat them. And Vardy, Mahrez, Ndidi and Maguire are four of the best in the division. I was most worried about defeating mid table and lower opposition. It was hardly a beautiful game but we were deserved winners. I think seventh is doable. Sixth is a pipe dream imo. We still need to fight for seventh.

39 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Neither Chelsea or Watford were great but we did play decently and beat them. And Vardy, Mahrez, Ndidi and Maguire are four of the best in the division. I was most worried about defeating mid table and lower opposition. It was hardly a beautiful game but we were deserved winners. I think seventh is doable. Sixth is a pipe dream imo. We still need to fight for seventh.

Chelsea, we didn't beat but I don't think you meant that. Vardy is not anywhere near the best in the division though!

11 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Chelsea, we didn't beat but I don't think you meant that. Vardy is not anywhere near the best in the division though!

Haha. It felt like a win. I blame the drink.

Vardy is in his 30s now but who would you rather have here doing his role?

3 hours ago, Colourmy said:

Forget 6th. The best of the rest is where we are aiming for at the moment. Finishing 1st 2 years ago and 7th now means it was a fluke 2015/2016 but we aren't that much of a fluke. Aim for 6th next year and it will correlate with what we achieved.

Your toast...if the Big bad boys are not out celebrating, or getting up early for cricket, or to get the cat in..