Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonzey01

Aiming for 6th or 7th realistic now?

• 2 weeks later...

With 12 games to go, barring freak resulrs, 7th place is now a four-way battle between Burnley (36), Leicester (35), Everton (31) and Bournemouth (31), the PL's most in-form team (unbeaten in 2018 and 15 points from 7 games including wins against Arsenal & Chelsea).  I actually had B'mouth as serious relegation contenders with only 16 points from 19 games on Dec 23.

I'd say Leicester are slight favourites to finish 7th just ahead of Bournemouth. The "Mahrez Affair" might scupper your chances as you are only half the team if the Algerian maestro is below par or not interested. If they avoid injuries, the Cherries - out of the FA Cup - should pick up a lot of points in the last dozen games which include trips to Leicester & Burnley.

Even though they beat you and have spent big on Walcott & Tozun, Everton are still in a bit of disarray until BFS finally sorts out his preferred starting XI. His squad  is too big at the moment.

As for Burnley, we are STILL playing quite well (tremendous in the unlucky 0-1 loss to Man United) in most games despite the lack of wins since Christmas and Aaron Lennon has already given us a boost in the two games he has played. We have a crippling injury list - Heaton, Tarkowski, Ward, Brady, Walters, Wood, Bardsley, Marney currently all out of action but the season-ending injury to our BEST player Defour will almost certainly mean we finish 10th at best. Without the Defour injury, I think we could have hung on to 8th place behind the Foxes (depending Mahrez) or B'mouth.

A top-half finish would still represent a good season for Burnley, but 8 games without a win and the injuries have definitely halted momentum. Some people think we might not be playing well and that results have damaged confidence - maybe a little but FIVE of those EIGHT games have been against Man United (twice), Man City, Spurs and Liverpool not to mention an away FA Cup tie at Man City. Not the easiest run of fixtures!

Edited by lancyclaret
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

With 12 games to go, barring freak resulrs, 7th place is now a four-way battle between Burnley (36), Leicester (35), Everton (31) and Bournemouth (31), the PL's most in-form team (unbeaten in 2018 and 15 points from 7 games including wins against Arsenal & Chelsea).  I actually had B'mouth as serious relegation contenders with only 16 points from 19 games on Dec 23.

I'd say Leicester are slight favourites to finish 7th just ahead of Bournemouth. The "Mahrez Affair" might scupper your chances as you are only half the team if the Algerian maestro is below par or not interested. If they avoid injuries, the Cherries - out of the FA Cup - should pick up a lot of points in the last dozen games which include trips to Leicester & Burnley.

Even though they beat you and have spent big on Walcott & Tozun, Everton are still in a bit of disarray until BFS finally sorts out his preferred starting XI. His squad  is too big at the moment.

As for Burnley, we are STILL playing quite well (tremendous in the unlucky 0-1 loss to Man United) in most games despite the lack of wins since Christmas and Aaron Lennon has already given us a boost in the two games he has played. We have a crippling injury list - Heaton, Tarkowski, Ward, Brady, Walters, Wood, Bardsley, Marney currently all out of action but the season-ending injury to our BEST player Defour will almost certainly mean we finish 10th at best. Without the Defour injury, I think we could have hung on to 8th place behind the Foxes (depending Mahrez) or B'mouth.

A top-half finish would still represent a good season for Burnley, but 8 games without a win and the injuries have definitely halted momentum. Some people think we might not be playing well and that results have damaged confidence - maybe a little but FIVE of those EIGHT games have been against Man United (twice), Man City, Spurs and Liverpool not to mention an away FA Cup tie at Man City. Not the easiest run of fixtures!

We are all fighting for that 7th position only. 6th is gone.

I still only See Burnley or Leicester grabbing 7th,and Everton Bournemouth,fighting for top 10 pride.

12 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

I think what will kill burnley on not getting 7th is lack of goals from open play. Defensively I would say you guys are the best team outside of the top 6 and probably better defensively than Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal.

We are too inconsistent for 6 th, think Everton will push for 7th, Burnley seem to want to hang around, we really do need to perform well to get 7th spot.

That will mean us playing for 90 minutes every game, not play well in parts of games, then very poor for the rest of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

We are too inconsistent for 6 th, think Everton will push for 7th, Burnley seem to want to hang around, we really do need to perform well to get 7th spot.

That will mean us playing for 90 minutes every game, not play well in parts of games, then very poor for the rest of it.

If the depressed keeps on striking I see us slip and lose this battle for 7th. Diabate and Silva will click at some point but it will take a couple of games before that and we might lose very precious points in the meanwhile.

Edited by ZeGuy

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

If the depressed keeps on striking I see us slip and lose this battle for 7th. Diabate and Silva will click at some point but it will take a couple of games before that and we might lose very precious points in the meanwhile.

Couple of games?... 

Couple of months perhaps! 

16 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Good post and hello there.  My heart says we will do it but Burnley have had such a great season.  I keep thinking "they can;t keep it up" but then realise that's exactly what everyone kept saying about us when we won the league and I never want to sound patronising so good luck.  On paper Everton have a great squad and I worry they will start to climb but am hoping this season is too early for them.  It's nice t see four teams all playing different style pushing for that "best of the rest" tag.  Good luck to you but I hope we manage to pip you.  X

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

To be far to mahrez, we have been inconsistent with or without him.

Shit start, puel comes in and steady the ship, but they still show signs of the lacklustre performance’s, palace, Watford, Huddersfield away to name a few.

It seems we have complacent group at times, who have let puel down at times, and that’s why I don’t think we will get 7 th.

21 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

If you beat us at Turf Moor (which I can see happening given your strong home record) then I can’t see you relinquishing 7th tbh, especially as you seem to have played most of the big teams twice already (I could be wrong on that one!). If you beat us we will have to make up a 4 point deficit from our games which I don’t think will happen

11 hours ago, RutlanderFox said:

If you beat us at Turf Moor (which I can see happening given your strong home record) then I can’t see you relinquishing 7th tbh, especially as you seem to have played most of the big teams twice already (I could be wrong on that one!). If you beat us we will have to make up a 4 point deficit from our games which I don’t think will happen

You are not wrong. We have just 2 games left against the Big Six.....Chelsea (H) and Arsenal (A).

The Arsenal game is the our last away match in May while we will probably be playing Chelsea in a rearranged Tuesday night match as they will probably be playing an FA  Cup quarter-final on the scheduled date. Hull stand in their way.

Strangely, our final game is at home to Bournemouth who could also finish 7th. Smug Eddie - our manager before Dyche - won't want us to do "the double" over his Cherries.