Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Newcastle (A) pre-match

Guest Kopfkino

I'm actually starting to think this is must win now, along with Palace. I don't fancy us at Southampton tbh.

Man City - Cup (H)

Man Utd (H)

Watford (A)

Liverpool (A)

In the space of 11 days is difficult and without many options in midfield, I fear the squad could be stretched. Huddersfield 2 days later could be tricky if we pick up an injury or two.

4 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Alright lads, Geordie in peace here

We've been on a shocking run but to be fair, we're a side newly promoted from the championship who haven't strengthened on that team much, if at all.

Hoping that Benitez sticks with the 4-2-3-1 that we used at the beginning of the season. Recent experimentation with 4-4-2 and 3-5-1-1 haven't really worked given the lack of quality in key areas.

On the positive side Merino should be fully fit, Gayle is in ok goal scoring form, young J.Murphy is growing in confidence and competence.

Predictions on Tyneside seem pretty mixed between wins draws and losses, but all think it'll be tight.

That is most definitely not a "North East" thing, that is a mackem thing and they've got form for similar.

If you want any pub/food/travel/hotel advice let me know.

Welcome.

I hope you took my comment the way it was intended. lol

We should be trying to have this done and dusted by half time. These are absolutely woeful at the back, I'd be tempted to get Slimani in and just try and get as many crosses into the box as possible. 

They generally go with a 2 in the middle so we should be able to match them

Alan Shearer said most Newcastle players are Championship standard. I wonder what NUFC players feel hearing a club legend say that about them. Rafa can organise them and he's tactically astute but he can't turn Joselu and Gayle into competent Premier League strikers. Seeing as we will probably have most of the possession I would start Gray over Okazaki, same team that started against Burnley. Probably bring back Okazaki v Southampton next Tuesday.

Guest Col city fan

I'm going to this one and it sounds like it's going to be fookin freezing up on the banks of the Tyne!

I have no idea what to expect of this game tbh.

Newcastle are pretty rubbish tbf but if have no surprise if they suddenly pulled something out of the bag against us.

Draw for me.

2-2

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

Welcome.

I hope you took my comment the way it was intended. lol

Course. any excuse to laugh at them lot down the road. :D

54 minutes ago, filbertway said:

We should be trying to have this done and dusted by half time. These are absolutely woeful at the back, I'd be tempted to get Slimani in and just try and get as many crosses into the box as possible. 

They generally go with a 2 in the middle so we should be able to match them

We've been shonky at the back without Lascelles and Merino in the team. If we return to a 4-2-3-1 I'd fancy us to be much more frustrating for visiting sides. An injury enforced switch of tactics has made us better going forward, but much worse at the back.

16 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Course. any excuse to laugh at them lot down the road. :D

We've been shonky at the back without Lascelles and Merino in the team. If we return to a 4-2-3-1 I'd fancy us to be much more frustrating for visiting sides. An injury enforced switch of tactics has made us better going forward, but much worse at the back.

Yeah I'm hoping Lascelles isn't back as the organisation seems to have disappeared in his absence. I couldn't believe some of the defending going on in recent games for you. It must be frustrating to see it.

Merino looks a ridiculously good acquisition, I've found it odd that he's not been paired up with Shelvey, I'm hoping Diame or Hayden will be in there again on Saturday haha. One thing we could struggle with, is Shelvey's through balls to Gayle against our central defensive pairing, (assuming they both play, though I'd love to see Joselu starting :D ).

I'll be watching this with a Toon fan so it feels like high stakes. He's not feeling very confident about it at the minute, which isn't a surprise given recent performances. As you say though, if Lascelles returns and Merino is a bit fitter, it should give you a bit more backbone.

I went a couple of season ago (Lost 1-0 Obertan goal :revenge:)

Met up with Liam Moore after the game and went for a curry. Cant remember the name of the place but it was located underneath the hotel (think it was a travel lodge) we stayed at near the Quay. All you can eat Indian buffet it was absolutely amazing. Well recommended.

EDIT This is it https://www.aneesas-newcastle.co.uk/

Anybody spending the weekend their I would certainly take a trip to this place. The chicken on the skewers were really good

Edited by kingcarr21

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Yeah I'm hoping Lascelles isn't back as the organisation seems to have disappeared in his absence. I couldn't believe some of the defending going on in recent games for you. It must be frustrating to see it.

Merino looks a ridiculously good acquisition, I've found it odd that he's not been paired up with Shelvey, I'm hoping Diame or Hayden will be in there again on Saturday haha. One thing we could struggle with, is Shelvey's through balls to Gayle against our central defensive pairing, (assuming they both play, though I'd love to see Joselu starting :D ).

I'll be watching this with a Toon fan so it feels like high stakes. He's not feeling very confident about it at the minute, which isn't a surprise given recent performances. As you say though, if Lascelles returns and Merino is a bit fitter, it should give you a bit more backbone.

Combination of opposition (need Hayden's defensive focus vs big teams), injury and suspensions. Personally, I'd play all three with Merino ahead of Shelvey and Hayden.

I'm hoping we grind out a result, but I'm not confident. All comes back to Ashley refusing to fund a proper recruitment drive in the summer. Woefully short up front, at #10, at left back and could do with strengthening right back and in nets.

1 minute ago, kingcarr21 said:

I went a couple of season ago (Lost 1-0 Obertan goal :revenge:)

Met up with Liam Moore after the game and went for a curry. Cant remember the name of the place but it was located underneath the hotel (think it was a travel lodge) we stayed at near the Quay. All you can eat Indian buffet it was absolutely amazing. Well recommended.

Aneesa's Buffet? Near the Slug and Lettuce by the Quayside?

If you like your curry try Dabbawal on High Bridge Street (near the Theatre Royal), right round the corner is Fat Hippo Underground which is a cracking burger place too.

2 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Combination of opposition (need Hayden's defensive focus vs big teams), injury and suspensions. Personally, I'd play all three with Merino ahead of Shelvey and Hayden.

I'm hoping we grind out a result, but I'm not confident. All comes back to Ashley refusing to fund a proper recruitment drive in the summer. Woefully short up front, at #10, at left back and could do with strengthening right back and in nets.

Are you feeling confident the purchase will go through? Seems like Ashley is dragging his heels on it a bit. Which is weird considering he stands to make a fair bit of cash by selling.

It almost seems like his decisions are to spite the club and fans these days.

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

100% agree with these comments.

Lascelles and Merino look top, top players. Joselu, on the other hand.....

:blush:.

Interesting 'battle of the cool' in midfield: Iborra vvs Merino.

Close match - 3-2 to city or......

If Mahrez on top form and KS comes out to claim corners: 4-0 to city!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Are you feeling confident the purchase will go through? Seems like Ashley is dragging his heels on it a bit. Which is weird considering he stands to make a fair bit of cash by selling.

It almost seems like his decisions are to spite the club and fans these days.

Sticking point is his valuation.

He wants £400m (we're not worth that), Staveley and PCP partners value us (more reasonably) at around £250m-£300m. Perversely this run of bad form may strengthen their position. I do think the sale will go through, I'm not convinced it will happen in time to impact the business we do or don't do in January.

Tell you what though, if it's announced today that it's gone through I'd break the bank to sort hotels for your visit, because Newcastle City centre will be a bacchanalian celebration for days regardless of the result. Can't wait for that fat chavvy mess to Get out of my club.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

Alright lads, Geordie in peace here

We've been on a shocking run but to be fair, we're a side newly promoted from the championship who haven't strengthened on that team much, if at all.

Hoping that Benitez sticks with the 4-2-3-1 that we used at the beginning of the season. Recent experimentation with 4-4-2 and 3-5-1-1 haven't really worked given the lack of quality in key areas.

On the positive side Merino should be fully fit, Gayle is in ok goal scoring form, young J.Murphy is growing in confidence and competence.

Predictions on Tyneside seem pretty mixed between wins draws and losses, but all think it'll be tight.

That is most definitely not a "North East" thing, that is a mackem thing and they've got form for similar.

If you want any pub/food/travel/hotel advice let me know.

Sam Jacks still going?

23 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Sticking point is his valuation.

He wants £400m (we're not worth that), Staveley and PCP partners value us (more reasonably) at around £250m-£300m. Perversely this run of bad form may strengthen their position. I do think the sale will go through, I'm not convinced it will happen in time to impact the business we do or don't do in January.

Tell you what though, if it's announced today that it's gone through I'd break the bank to sort hotels for your visit, because Newcastle City centre will be a bacchanalian celebration for days regardless of the result. Can't wait for that fat chavvy mess to Get out of my club.

I've learned a new word :D 

It must be so annoying having a manager like Rafa at the club and then having the biggest cheapskate owner going. I can imagine the day he leaves becoming a public holiday in Newcastle haha.