Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Mark Clattenburg had a plan - Chelsea 2 Spurs 2 that game

I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: ‘Tottenham lost the title.’ If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? ‘Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.’ It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title.

Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would’ve been looking for an excuse. But I didn’t give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title.

From a recent podcast. I always wondered how Spurs ended up 11 on the field that night that they lost their mathematical possibility on the title to you know who. It was a risky strategy from Clattenburg because if they had sneaked a last minute winner they would have had lots of players who should have been on suspension then playing out the rest of the season. So, I'd have rather Spurs finished with 7 men looking like melt down idiots rather than Clattenburg not wanting it all blamed on his precious self. Maybe he has a tattoo somewhere, 'How I won LC the title'?

• Like 3

I do think Ref's are influenced to try and keep 11 vs 11 but they were sending off offences though... no one would have argued with the red card for multiple players and I'm pretty sure every neutral came out afterwards and said how the feck did Tottenham not have at least one player sent off?

I must add though, Clattenburg is still better than any of the current set of PL referees. 

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

I never used to mind Mark Clattenburg, I always thought he was the best of a bad bunch, but that's just shocking. The way he says he helped the game, like it's something he can be proud of! He's openly admitted to manipulating the outcome, and it's abuse of his position, pure and simple. 

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

Not really that bothered tbh, can't even muster up faux hype.

Why are we crying so much over this? It did not affect the outcome of our season one iota. Let Spurs and Chelsea fans scream into the abyss.

Because some people care about the integrity of our game.

How do you feel going to watch our next match knowing that a referee won't be punished even when they've ADMITTED to giving incorrect decisions on purpose?

How many times could we have been undone by refereeing of this nature?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

Again this makes no sense to me as I mentioned in a previous thread.

How does NOT sending Spurs players off show a bias to Chelsea. Surely that shows a bias to Spurs. Or am I just being thick?

To me this is a complete non story.

You are being thick but I'm too stupid to understand why.

I'm sure many wondered why Spurs were allowed to go unpunished for countless blatant fouls and other incidents. Clattenburg choosing not to follow the rules made the match far more entertaining as a spectacle than if he'd let it go to 11 versus 8. However, as a referee, his function was to uphold the laws of the game, not to influence the entertainment value of a match. Spurs benefited  through not having players suspended. Referees forget that their leniency affects subsequent matches.