Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Mark Clattenburg had a plan - Chelsea 2 Spurs 2 that game

Clattenburg was generally the best ref we had but this is a slightly alarming admission I must admit.

It was incredibly unlikely that Spurs would've got anywhere near us even if they had won that game given how far ahead we were, but that is really besides the point.

We all want the game to be flowing and for referees to have as minimal impact as possible, but Spurs went to pot after the Hazard goal and everyone saw it happen. There was no danger of anyone sensible thinking that Clattenburg gave us the title - it was a ridiculous last few minutes. Had he rightfully sent a couple of their players off, it only would've been the most biased of Spurs fans blaming him.

It doesn't matter now but he's certainly gone down in my estimation.

This is very concerning that a ref thinks he can have this much influence in the title race, basically he wasn't doing his job, maybe if he'd sent one off it would have calmed the game down and stopped the bloodbath that ensued, what if a player suffered a serious injury because these tackles were going unpunished. As mentioned above this brings the integrity of himself and other refs into question, how much does this go on, is it something encouraged. The rules have to be adhered to regardless of the team, match or occasion otherwise you taint the whole game. 

• Like 2

Went on to the Spurs forum to see what they had to say about it. They have just added to the match thread from 18 months ago... So i scrolled back to Hazard's goal and the final whistle. Some absolute belters in here.

Here's my personal favourite three:

1)

image.png.6e356df22bb2d42f1d89ef2e042393f6.png

2) 

image.thumb.png.b511f23282957707d72f8403a0f22c6b.png

and who can forget, my personal favourite: 

image.png.d2269a970996c045cbf6d1db197094ed.png

THEY ARE ON ****ING DRUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Because some people care about the integrity of our game.

How do you feel going to watch our next match knowing that a referee won't be punished even when they've ADMITTED to giving incorrect decisions on purpose?

How many times could we have been undone by refereeing of this nature?

Probably the same amount of times as gaining an advantage for these incorrect decisions.

Its not right what he is saying but overall I don't think its that big a deal.

Its an interesting debate though

So let me get this straight - Even though they scored the first 2 goals, he knew that not sending off 4 Spurs players (which would have been justifiable) rubber stamped the impossibility of the only other team in the title race scoring a late winner??! Just who, other than the most deranged of Spurs fans, would have endorsed the narrative that Spurs were screwed out of the title by Clattenburg sending off players who were already on borrowed time FFS?!!

This is despite the usual pattern we've been used to seeing over the years in which teams who've been lucky to not have players sent off, particularly those praised for their attacking flair -  generally go on to win games!!? Moreover, regardless of the eventual outcome, his actions allowed at least 3 Spurs members to play for the rest of the season when they should have been suspended.

Of course we did'nt get genuine disproportionate punishment during the run-in did we?!

Edited by Kendal Fox

Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would’ve been looking for an excuse. But I didn’t give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: let them lose the title.

I think Clattenberg meant to say: my gameplan was to bottle the difficult decisions and hope the match result meant they didn't matter.  He's normally one of the better referees.  But why boast about not doing your job properly?  Referees should just call it as they see it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He allowed the game to continue, like he said in the article if he had enforced the rules to the letter it would have been farcical. 

People just love to blame the ref basically. Clattenburg was comfortably the best ref we had. 

Spurs behaviour in the game was farcical.

What doesn't sit right with me is the fact that spurs could have got a last minute winner, then they would have gone into the final few games being able to field key players that should have been suspended. I've also got to admit when watching the game that I thought it was odd that spurs players, and at least one chelsea player were not being sent off. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Everygamefox said:

Tottenham came 3rd so he helped Arsenal not us! And by not sending spurs players off he surely helped spurs?? so basically we beat all teams and clattenberg and moss and still we walked the league by 10 points!

He tried to help spurs.

He certainly didnt help us. Or Arsenal for that matter.

3 hours ago, Max Wall said:

I made this same post on the BBC have your say.

The ego on this clown knows no bounds.

Leicester City strolled to the title and didn't need any help from him.

I'm not sure I need to add anything else.

I think you've misinterpreted the problem then. He wasn't helping us at all he was helping spurs by not making decisions against them...