Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chester Dontlie

Kasper taking the piss

He has no competition for his place so we are not seeing him at his best but he has been poor with free kicks for sometime and his distribution has become a little lazy, we really need to buy a keeper or bring one through the youth system that is going to pressure him for his place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

You say his only strengh is one v ones I say bollocks.

His other strengths are organising his defence (see all those tight 1-0's when we won the league). Shot stopping (see champions league, especially Copenhagen away). And finally leadership (see him geeing the players up after conceeding or telling them to focus after scoring and constantly encouraging, he is captain in all but name.

Also you say his only strength is one v ones like it's a small skill to have that is absolutely massive and keeper face a lot more one v ones than they do direct free kicks just outside the area.

Finally you say we don't have a decent keeper in the club I say complete bollocks we have the 6th or 7th best keeper in the league. Name me a keeper that you would want to replace him with that we could realistically get?

I don’t disagree with the ‘non saving aspects’ you list above.

That list however cannot contradict the main points I made; he has never commanded the six yard box nevermind the penalty box; he should be able to save that free kick last night -

it crossed the line almost in the centre of the goal; he has been poor this season.

If you don’t believe me, please refer to other posters on the subject above.

4 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I don’t disagree with the ‘non saving aspects’ you list above.

That list however cannot contradict the main points I made; he has never commanded the six yard box nevermind the penalty box; he should be able to save that free kick last night -

it crossed the line almost in the centre of the goal; he has been poor this season.

If you don’t believe me, please refer to other posters on the subject above.

So you agree that you were wrong and he has more than one strength.

Besides Shot stopping is not a non saving aspect.

But I will conceed he does have weaknesses and one of them is he is not commanding when dealing with crosses also his kicking is wildly inconsistant but I'm glad he does have some weakness because without them there is not a snowball in hell's chance he would still be here, he would be playing for a top European club without any doubt. His strengths far outway his weaknesses.

I was never saying he didn't have weaknesses just arguing with your two points that 1. He only has one strength. And 2. We don't have a good keeper at the club.

And you didn't answer me which keeper you would relaistically bring in to replace him who would be a significant improvement?

That's 3 free kick goals he's conceded lately. Opposition are targeting him now that they know his weakness. It was an excellent free kick, But it was savable if he went for it with his left hand instead of his right. People giving Amartey stick for an innocuous sending off and yet Kasper does that. Yes he has some good points but his bad one's keep costing us Goals.

We need to get someone on the post to help him for these free kicks, If only to create doubt in the kickers mind.

59 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

What bit is nonsense?

He does not command the 6 yard box, and has been at fault for countless goals this season.

Im not saying he’s not made a save all season, but by the same token him making saves does not nullify the numerous goals he has costs with his poor goal keeping.

Last year he was fantastic in the round, this season he’s been very poor.

See reply from @The whole world smileswho more or less echoes my thoughts.

No player is beyond constructive criticism and Kasper will know himself that he should have saved the free kick as he is probably his own harshest critic.

For you to say he's not a decent keeper is nonsense.

Edited by Blue Fox 72

29 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Baffling people want him gone. He’s not having the best of seasons, but he was our player of the season last year for a reason.. He’s got quality.

He hasn’t been through a bad patch with us since the championship. Now after all those years of winning us points people want him gone?

We need to keep him at club because not only is he a very good keeper, but he’s a leader in the dressing room, a presence, a character. The latter qualities are going to be very hard to replace. I hope Kasper stays here until he’s 40.

I don't want him gone, and I don't think anybody has said that, I just want a goalkeeper that will compete for the #1 place.

Just now, Adam. said:

Come on then, if you want Schmeichel gone who do you want to replace him?

Actually surprised people want him out.

I'm not a scout at a football club so cannot comment. They'll be better goalkeepers out there who we can attract.

If he was any good he'd be gone.The expert scouts have had a look and realised he's average at best.His agent also tried but couldn't find any interest. So he stays here and does his best.most the time its ok but he's cost us at least six goals this season and he should have done better on the first last night as well.

Think he saw Mata's free-kick only when the ball was over the wall.

Think the title should be kindly re-named in case the forum gets perceived by guests as one that's ill-considered?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Funny how people are slating Schmeichel for that free-kick goal.

Watch it again. Granted, his positioning is a bit dodgy, but do you see that trajectory of Mata's shot? Curls in right underneath the crossbar.

As others have pointed out, which keeper would've done better?

It could be oh so worse. He's not here on his reputation alone. He's a massive part of our success given how peppered our goal mouth gets at times.

He keeps us in games with one on ones, once or twice a game. Yes he's prone to a free kick at the moment but please let's not overreact and say we need a new keeper.  

• Like 1

I wonder what the story is with Jakupovic? Has he had injury problems or something?

He'd been getting lots of PL time with Hull and looked good when I saw him. When we signed him, I assumed that he was to be "the competition" for Kasper.

Instead, he's not even making the bench and is behind Hamer, who has looked pretty average when I've seen him.

As for Kasper, others have already said it: quality keeper, strong character, much improved command of area and his distribution really is good (some go astray, mainly because he tries difficult things requiring long pinpoint kicks or rapid release - yes, that occasionally makes him look silly, but he also sets up more attacks for us than other keepers do for other teams). Certainly needs to do some work on direct free-kicks, though - he seems a bit slow to read where they're going.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Not have a wall, matta’s not going to score a 21 yard penalty

Haha they've got so many players that are capable of smashing in a 21 yard dead ball. 

Not a fan of a wall from a great distance and never had one when I used to play in. Edge of the box though whatever you do, there's always going to be a potential weakness.

If someone suggests the perfect infallible set up though I'm intrigued to hear it, I never cracked it myself haha

How about a 3 man wall with 3 player behind that jump on the players shoulders to make it impossible to score in one corner. Then you've only got half a goal to cover. Not that I could see any team being brave enough to try something outside the norm.

Edited by filbertway

54 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Haha they've got so many players that are capable of smashing in a 21 yard dead ball. 

Not a fan of a wall from a great distance and never had one when I used to play in. Edge of the box though whatever you do, there's always going to be a potential weakness.

If someone suggests the perfect infallible set up though I'm intrigued to hear it, I never cracked it myself haha

How about a 3 man wall with 3 player behind that jump on the players shoulders to make it impossible to score in one corner. Then you've only got half a goal to cover. Not that I could see any team being brave enough to try something outside the norm.

Completely agree with you re no wall from a distance and the need for a change in approach. With the quality of players now a free kick is possible to get over the wall at pace and dip giving the keeper next to no chance (as schmeichel had in my opinion last night). 

The idea of players jumping up on shoulders is actually quite a good - although this may create vulnerabilities to short passes around the wall. I think dropping a player in to the post works but only if used sparingly as otherwise teams will just commit a player to go infront of the keepers eyes as they'd be played onside. 

RE Schmeichel just 1 point - I've never seen him concede a free kick on HIS SIDE, which as a goalkeeper is rule number 1 of free kicks. Yes he didn't save it despite being a yard or so inside the post but nevertheless its a good free kick. There's only so much a. keeper can do and I'd rather have schmeichel who asks the player to show their ability in scoring a good free kick than someone like Gomes who commits to the side of the wall and ends up conceding on his post quite a lot. 

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Nice to hear a keepers take on it. I get what you mean on however you plan it there is a flaw. What level did you play at?

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

does Stowell even try and correct his positioning? I've long suspected we need to sack Stowell and bring in someone better, if Kasper won't listen to the coach then sign someone and drop him

if there is a glaring error in his free kick positioning, surely his dad would have given him a lecture about it ages ago?

22 minutes ago, brucey said:

if there is a glaring error in his free kick positioning, surely his dad would have given him a lecture about it ages ago?

he gives up over half the goal in that position every time its too close in to recover and premier league players are more than good enough to float one over the wall into that area, the one yesterday was even worse as it wasn't even in the corner, he isn't correcting it, so either he won't listen or Stowell is useless

Edited by Jimmy