Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

I was sat near the managers area against Fleetwood at home and was surprised with how loud Puel gets when he does stand up. I sit over the other side usually and from there, what looks like a man calmly walking up occasionally to the edge of the managers area and pointing before sitting back down is actually a manager walking to the edge of his area, screaming like a man possessed, coaching from the touchline (Fuchs was getting lots of instruction) and then calmly walking back to watch more of the game. Puel has done a top job imo, long may it continue. 

• Like 4

Screw that pashun thingy and anyone who thinks it has any relevance over results or the way we're playing. Anyone who judges a manager based on what he says in a (pre- or post) match conference is an utter fool and 

16c745edb374f00993b8b042faf662df487f927b

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, brucey said:

Be interesting to see what Puel does with Mendy when Nice inevitably ship him back to us. Hopefully Puel will look past his previous experiences with the player and judge him purely based on current merit.

Similar with kapustka 

56 minutes ago, brucey said:

Be interesting to see what Puel does with Mendy when Nice inevitably ship him back to us. Hopefully Puel will look past his previous experiences with the player and judge him purely based on current merit.

Would have loved him to fill the void left by Kante but its looking like a lost cause.

Midfield is our strongest area right now and even if he returns he's not likely to break into the squad. Only something like a move for N'Didi would bring him back into the reckoning.

14 hours ago, Donut said:

This "passion" thing in this thread is getting so tedious.

Its not about high fives, about fist pumps, and about overly expressive touchline behaviour.

STOP JUDGING HIS "PASSION" ON THESE THINGS. THE MANAGER IS NOT A FAN AND HE DOESN'T NEED TO BEHAVE LIKE ONE. 

Its managing a football team. Its about preparing the team to go out and do their jobs. About making sure everyone understands what they need to do. Inspiring confidence and getting the best from people. About making sure they all know what to expect from the opposition.

Sometimes its about keeping the "passion" out of it, being rational and calculated.

And Puel does all of this excellently.

He doesn't need to be passionate, although I did enjoy him celebrating Diabate's first goal. The problem is a few times the players have come out not completely up for it from the start. Fleetwood, Huddersfield, Palace, Watford spring to mind. The best thing about yesterday is how fired up the players were from the first minute, whatever he did to get them raring to go from kick off he needs to do every game because we are not good enough to just turn up and stroll through the first half.

Loved to see the passion from all yesterday.

28 minutes ago, ZeFrench said:

Hello people, I'm French, not a Leicester City fan - sorry- but thanks to Puel I'm following your team. 

Some informations from France (I mainly follow Ligue 1 and I spoke with Puel in two occasions):

1. Puel is a very calm person. Even if he were fluent in english, he would be very calm and quiet. Some people hate him for that as football today is more about idiocy than football. Some of your fans will hate him for that. It's quite normal in our era. That's how he speaks in French: 

2. Puel is passionate. Truly passionate. He doesn't care much about the media. Have a look at him when someone from your team scores and you will understand how he really is. 

3. Puel loves discipline. He is disciplined towards himself and wants discipline from players. He built his own career around discipline (when he was a player at Monaco, it was his main quality). It's not only about yelling against players. Puel creates structures inside the club to make the players more disciplined and professional. 

4. Puel can show a lot of love toward a player (it was the case with Ben Arfa and will certainly be the case with Mahrez). Yet, there are no free-pass for those players. 

5. Puel is one of most respected French technician. Technicians from the French Federation of Football know he is one of the best technician in France right now. Actually, if he was not that quiet, he could have been the French national coach for the World Cup (that's what people say in football circles... sadly, not in the media). 

6. Puel is known in France to take an average team with some potential and make it a lot better: Lille/ Nice/ Monaco (even if Monaco was a fairly big club at the time).

7. In big clubs he can struggle. With Lyon he struggled a lot. He spent 124 million euros in two transfer windows (which was a lot at the time) and still struggled. Lyon was like the PSG of today (in France) and he couldn't win the league. He is hated in Lyon for that. That semi in UCL was not that big for Lyon supporters.

8. Puel is stubborn. More than Wenger (I think it's natural for you to compare with another French coach, so... I'm doing it). If the board doesn't follow him, he can stop at the end of the season (he never abandons his teams like that, which I think is a good point). 

9. Puel is a very hard worker. He dedicates his free time to football. 

10. Puel is very demanding towards himself. It's not obvious like that, but he is physically a beast. You will often see him running with the players for kilometers or even playing football with them. He doesn't like being a spectator during the trainings. 

11. Puel doesn't care about age. He will put the best player on the pitch. If this player is 16 years old, so be it. He gives many chances to young players.

12. Puel does like fresh players. Turn-over is very important for him (it's even more important in England because of the Boxing Day). 

13. Puel loves trying new players. He can buy a lot of small players and make them good (or good enough to play league games). He takes some calculated risks and can sometimes win (or lose). 

14. In terms of tactics, Puel likes possession. He can also do a kind of Catenaccio à la Française (same as Raniery), when he doesn't have the quality in his team. 

I think he is the best French coach right now (above Zidane as Zidane is managing egos). A lot of French people won't aknowledge it. I'm a PSG fan since decades. I've never been a fan of his teams. Still, I can aknowledge the quality he brings to his teams. I think Puel is the best French coach. 

P.S: Sorry for my poor english. I'm doing my best. :)

Amazing post, thanks. Your English is great. The only thing I didn't understand is when you said "Puel doesn't like fresh players." Players who are new at the club? Players who haven't played many games? I'm loving Puel at the moment. I can't remember when I've been legitimately excited about a manager.

1 hour ago, ZeFrench said:

Hello people, I'm French, not a Leicester City fan - sorry- but thanks to Puel I'm following your team. 

Some informations from France (I mainly follow Ligue 1 and I spoke with Puel in two occasions):

1. Puel is a very calm person. Even if he were fluent in english, he would be very calm and quiet. Some people hate him for that as football today is more about idiocy than football. Some of your fans will hate him for that. It's quite normal in our era. That's how he speaks in French: 

2. Puel is passionate. Truly passionate. He doesn't care much about the media. Have a look at him when someone from your team scores and you will understand how he really is. 

3. Puel loves discipline. He is disciplined towards himself and wants discipline from players. He built his own career around discipline (when he was a player at Monaco, it was his main quality). It's not only about yelling against players. Puel creates structures inside the club to make the players more disciplined and professional. 

4. Puel can show a lot of love toward a player (it was the case with Ben Arfa and will certainly be the case with Mahrez). Yet, there are no free-pass for those players. 

5. Puel is one of most respected French technician. Technicians from the French Federation of Football know he is one of the best technician in France right now. Actually, if he was not that quiet, he could have been the French national coach for the World Cup (that's what people say in football circles... sadly, not in the media). 

6. Puel is known in France to take an average team with some potential and make it a lot better: Lille/ Nice/ Monaco (even if Monaco was a fairly big club at the time).

7. In big clubs he can struggle. With Lyon he struggled a lot. He spent 124 million euros in two transfer windows (which was a lot at the time) and still struggled. Lyon was like the PSG of today (in France) and he couldn't win the league. He is hated in Lyon for that. That semi in UCL was not that big for Lyon supporters.

8. Puel is stubborn. More than Wenger (I think it's natural for you to compare with another French coach, so... I'm doing it). If the board doesn't follow him, he can stop at the end of the season (he never abandons his teams like that, which I think is a good point). 

9. Puel is a very hard worker. He dedicates his free time to football. 

10. Puel is very demanding towards himself. It's not obvious like that, but he is physically a beast. You will often see him running with the players for kilometers or even playing football with them. He doesn't like being a spectator during the trainings. 

11. Puel doesn't care about age. He will put the best player on the pitch. If this player is 16 years old, so be it. He gives many chances to young players.

12. Puel does like fresh players. Turn-over is very important for him (it's even more important in England because of the Boxing Day). 

13. Puel loves trying new players. He can buy a lot of small players and make them good (or good enough to play league games). He takes some calculated risks and can sometimes win (or lose). 

14. In terms of tactics, Puel likes possession. He can also do a kind of Catenaccio à la Française (same as Raniery), when he doesn't have the quality in his team. 

I think he is the best French coach right now (above Zidane as Zidane is managing egos). A lot of French people won't aknowledge it. I'm a PSG fan since decades. I've never been a fan of his teams. Still, I can aknowledge the quality he brings to his teams. I think Puel is the best French coach. 

P.S: Sorry for my poor english. I'm doing my best. :)

Does he have a sit down wee if we  win a game?

6 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

Whilst I appreciate we’re Leicester fans, and when you walk around Leicester it’s clear to see we aren’t on average an intelligent people, it still amazes me that Puel isn’t adored by everyone.

There's people that didn't rate Pearson so it's hardly a shock unfortunately 

• Haha 1

Brilliant post @ZeFrenchand I hope you'll hang around as your insight is appreciated.

When I heard that Puel was likely to get the job I groaned but after some research on him I got quite excited as it was obvious he had something about him and wasn't one of the usual failed managers on the merry-go-round.

I've been particularly impressed that before he came we played a lot of turgid football under the latter half of Ranieri and Shakespeare but Puel got the exact same players looking like a class football team within a month or two. He's also only bought Diabate this window which for me is a great sign. It's the sign of a good manager that doesn't feel he needs to buy new players all the time to get better.

He's relatively happy with the squad he inherited and will only be happy to bring in players that will be an improvement on the squad rather than spending every penny he's allowed to.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ZeFrench said:

As soon as the wind turns for your team (and it will happen like for any team), people will hate Puel. He is no Mourinho. He won't hide himself behind fake dramas. So people will hate him and say that he has boring. That's how it is today in any industrial country.

Some people can't even understand that a good manager is someone with a clear strategy, clear tactics, a good relationship with the players, a good understanding of the structure of the club, etc. They can only see "charisma" through punchlines in front of the media. 

As someone who loves football, I follow Leicester only for Puel. The man deserves that. I then discovered a great fanbase, a great stadium and a great history. I'll never become a fan of Leicester City as I deeply think that football is local... and I am from Paris. But I'm beginning to love Leicester City as a club that is worth my attention.

Many thanks! :) 

I would like to think the hatred you refer to will not come to pass at Leicester.

We have had the so called "Mr charisma" well Mr sound bite at least, and he relegated us to the 3rd tier in the first time in our history. (And if truth be told, I don' hate him even now and realise it was more about where we were as a.club and the problems were bigger than him. I could well be on my own here though as rational thought is not often a strong point on this forum)

Also on the subject of hate. Puels predecessor had us looking like relegation fodder earlier this season and I think it is fair to say the majority still did not hate him. He was just out of his depth but we still respect what he did for us in his long time before as a coach.

Some of our best times have been with dour managers so for me I'm just going to love him the way he deserves.

Thanks for the post, and dont ever worry about the qualityof your English. It's certainly too good. For you to be mistaken for a native Leicester fan but we would not have guessed you were "foreign" without the username and admission.

Welcome to the forum and please continue the good posts.

• Like 3