Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not suggesting he throws any of them in right now, except perhaps look at Sam Hughes as cover for Maguire and Dragovic. I was merely surprised to see so few involved given his reputation. It's possible they aren't anywhere near ready, we are currently the one of the top 6-8 teams in the league comfortably and plucking kids out the academy to instantly be at that level is difficult.

I'd go along with that, but the difference from their struggles last season seems to be huge and the two obvious reasons are Hughes and Thomas. I don't see Thomas getting much of a sniff with the abundance of talent we have in the attacking midfield areas but I'm surprised Hughes didn't feature vs Fleetwood as we're down to the bare bones defensively and he's been very good when I've seen him and not just at scoring goals. Barnes will get a few chances I think and he has to take them, he was abysmal in the FA Cup and although all of them were, you don't get many chances to break in to a top flight team. Puel does seem to rate him though and rightly so given everything he's done in the last year.

The way I look at it is that they are closer to the first team than they were under our other managers. Barnes didn't even get a kick pre-season, he's come back here and played in the FA Cup straight away.

I think they'll get time if they show him they have potential. I think it's clear he's not afraid of picking people he likes and not looking at price tags or what fans think. Matty James playing against Chelsea is proof enough of that one.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Was listening to something Joey Barton said this morning on TalkSport. I can’t stand Barton btw, but this rang true.

Talking about Liverpool v Man City, he was saying how the point of football is not always to be entertained, but to get points. Of course, if you can win AND entertain all the better. He said that every side who plays a certain way, with success, WILL be found out at some point. Leicester reached a point where simply sticking with the same approach wasn’t working anymore. Fortunately, we’d won the league by then...

lol

But he said the best managers over time have been the ones who learnt to change players at the right time and to get new ways of playing embedded into the squad as quickly as they were needed. Ferguson was cited as an example.

I think this was where Ranieri ultimately struggled. He had no lasting plan b. When he tried to change how we played, he couldn’t get it right quickly enough for it to stick.

Anyway....to come to my very long-winded point, I think this is what Puel is very good at. With some notable exceptions, I think he looks to be able to set us up tactically to deal with the different situations different opponents might give us. I don’t think he’s a one trick pony, so to speak. Time will tell, but so far I’ve been impressed with him.

55 minutes ago, Wizerud said:

That's a good article.  The pitch positions are very interesting to compare between games and would love to see how the Chelsea game fits in. 

It's definitely notable how much more involved Mahrez and Albrighton get in games where we've been on the front foot.

On 14/01/2018 at 20:04, Vardinio'sCat said:

Bless Claude, he has really given us a direction, although it is very much a work in progress. Perhaps our French contingent could tell us how he comes across in French, does he come across in the same way?

If he does we are laughing, because then  no one would employ him as a raconteur, so he must have something else he brings to the table.

All the signs of a quality appointment, kudos to the man and club.

hi Vardinio

yes he is the same as in France, uncompromising, always the first in jogging, he shows the example, I remind you that he has done all his career in the same club (monaco) that proves his loyalty, it's a needy man, a man who loves work

lol, I realize that I do not stop praising him, while I can not support neither monaco nor him, but I love his work and his way of conceiving the high-level football

11 minutes ago, french flair said:

hi Vardinio

yes he is the same as in France, uncompromising, always the first in jogging, he shows the example, I remind you that he has done all his career in the same club (monaco) that proves his loyalty, it's a needy man, a man who loves work

lol, I realize that I do not stop praising him, while I can not support neither monaco nor him, but I love his work and his way of conceiving the high-level football

That's interesting. We like him a lot too, he strikes me as a proper football man, but is he quietly spoken and a bit monotone, as he is when he speaks in English?

It is such a contrast to CR who was masterful with the media, despite his limited vocabulary, which of course we loved. I would like to think us Foxes fans are far more interested in the team, the play and the results, than the jokes. CR couldn't charm his way out of some terrible form, and I would swap top banter for points any day.

18 minutes ago, french flair said:

hi Vardinio

Do you think he will ever be considered for the france national team job? Obviously I don't mean within the short term, in a year or 2. 

2 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

That's interesting. We like him a lot too, he strikes me as a proper football man, but is he quietly spoken and a bit monotone, as he is when he speaks in English?

It is such a contrast to CR who was masterful with the media, despite his limited vocabulary, which of course we loved. I would like to think us Foxes fans are far more interested in the team, the play and the results, than the jokes. CR couldn't charm his way out of some terrible form, and I would swap top banter for points any day.

think he just does not speak English well enough. Well, after that it is true that he is not a showman, rather a '' needy '' but he is like that, when he was a player, he preferred to put tack and blows rather than small bridges :)   (good translation ?)

3 hours ago, french flair said:

think he just does not speak English well enough. Well, after that it is true that he is not a showman, rather a '' needy '' but he is like that, when he was a player, he preferred to put tack and blows rather than small bridges :)   (good translation ?)

Cool, well I think it means that he keeps a low profile compared to some, which is not such a bad thing in this hyped up PL.

Really liking that he gives young players a chance. Our best chance of progressing is bringing through young players. Honestly, if you were a young player would you want to sign for Chelsea who de Bruyne, Salah, and Lukaku couldn't even break in to or Man City (could give loads of examples, Pep will sway a few) or join a club with a manager that actually gives young players a chance to play 1st team premier league football.   

Amazing how quickly he’s transitioned us into a decent passing side. We’re still lethal on the counter attack but we’ve added another string to our bow. Once again, well done Claude:appl: 

Gonna put it out there and prepare to be slated but he’s probably the most tactically astute manager we’ve had in a long time. Pearson was a motivator and did a lot of work with sports science and whilst I love him maybe at times you could say we were one dimensional. Claudio found the winning formula and just stuck with it but proved he couldn’t find a long term plan and Shakey was similar to Pearson

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Amazing how quickly he’s transitioned us into a decent passing side. We’re still lethal on the counter attack but we’ve added another string to our bow. Once again, well done Claude:appl: 

Outside that top six I don’t see anyone better than us in terms of possession even, and we are entertaining as well 

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

Wish he'd start Silva though.

After his assist and James not being at his best, he might well start him in the next Premier League game.

James deserved to start today after his performance last week. Given that Puel seems to have settled on playing 4-4-1-1 because of Okazaki and Albrighton's performances, it means we can only choose one of Iborra / Silva and James to partner Ndidi who is simply not droppable. Remember Iborra wasn't even in the squad today!

A lot of us expected Puel to play 3 CM's once SIlva was fit, but the fact is that with this style we can play possession football and keep Vardy / Shinji up top. Today Shinji was brilliant again in linking midfield to Vardy and Gray did a good job when he came on to. So that means that right now there is no reason to play 3 CM's. That might change in the future, but things are clearly not broken, so don't fix it!

• Like 1