Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

It hasn’t for me...  he was like Churchill on steroids...:P

His command of English was flakey,  but, I remember feeling serious pride when in the post West Ham press conference he came out and stated how we were going to try with all our might to win the prem...

I was moved over and the players were inspired...  I loved his little speeches

Me too.

You can like Puel without having to downplay Ranieiri and everything he did for us.

• Like 4

Just now, Donut said:

You could legitimately argue Southampton WERE dull under Puel.

But

Look at the scenario. He had Europa League to contend with, with a squad that had lost Mane. An unfair christmas programme, and a very long league cup run. So it was a long season, thats the first thing.

Secondly, the club sold Jose Fonte in the January window, and then Van Dijk got injured against us, so their main centreback pairing had gone.

I believe Puel, out of necessity to compensate for this, made the team structure more resolute to cope with the losses of their main two defenders. Because the rumblings about the football were all largely in the 2nd half of the season.

For this one example of (perhaps) dull football, he should have at least been given a chance to start the 2nd season. Southampton were undoubtedly hasty in removing him and havent improved without him.

This is also ONE example. Of fans twisting an argument to suit them by mentioning what was still a successful spell but perhaps uneventful, rather than mentioning his excellent work at other clubs.

And on this "lack of passion" thing again, what is there to suggest Puel has a lack of passion? Because he speaks quietly, wears a suit and doesn't shout and point enough?

Its only the most simple of simpletons in the stands that watch a manager going through an amateur theatre routine and thinks yeah, this will really get the lads fired up today, look at all that PASSHHHUUNNNN as he pretends hes heading the ball into the net himself or yelling at the referee like an utter twattard.

Yes I agree with what your saying I just think from a southampton point of view theyve been used to a postitive brand of football - pochettino and then koeman. I imagine there main argument was that they would get someone better for this season but they havent. I don't partically like klopp and conte jumping around like clowns and prefer puels approach both on the touchline and with the press. It will be interesting if we get into europe what his approach will be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donut said:

But

Look at the scenario. He had Europa League to contend with, with a squad that had lost Mane. An unfair christmas programme, and a very long league cup run. So it was a long season, thats the first thing.

Secondly, the club sold Jose Fonte in the January window, and then Van Dijk got injured against us, so their main centreback pairing had gone.

I believe Puel, out of necessity to compensate for this, made the team structure more resolute to cope with the losses of their main two defenders. Because the rumblings about the football were all largely in the 2nd half of the season.

For this one example of (perhaps) dull football, he should have at least been given a chance to start the 2nd season. Southampton were undoubtedly hasty in removing him and havent improved without him.

This is also ONE example. Of fans twisting an argument to suit them by mentioning what was still a successful spell but perhaps uneventful, rather than mentioning his excellent work at other clubs.

And on this "lack of passion" thing again, what is there to suggest Puel has a lack of passion? Because he speaks quietly, wears a suit and doesn't shout and point enough?

Its only the most simple of simpletons in the stands that watch a manager going through an amateur theatre routine and thinks yeah, this will really get the lads fired up today, look at all that PASSHHHUUNNNN as he pretends hes heading the ball into the net himself or yelling at the referee like an utter twattard.

They also sold Wanyama, Pelle and Fonte and lost Austin and Van Dijk for the majority of the season to injury.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Livid said:

Useless at posting photo's or gifs on here but look down the linked thread below from saintsweb at his reaction to when they scored the goal that won them the league cup semi final at Anfield.

The man has passion, he just isn't a Conte or a Klopp and we should be grateful for that!

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?59280-One-year-ago-today

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Who honestly gives a shit if he's dull in interviews or he doesn't have pashun. I haven't acrually listened to a Puel interview since we beat Burnley 1-0 about 6-7 weeks ago. The man has a monotone voice and can be hard to listen to so I prefer to read his quotes. But anybody who judges a manager on his interview  skills or being a passion merchant is an idiot. Judge the man on how he's doing with our team and atm he's doing brilliantly.

Burnley game will always be one I look back to. 

Leicester pre puel would have ****ed that game up.... the patience he has brought in meant we got there in the end! 

Similarly to you though, don’t particularly give a shit about his personality. He obviously does enough to get the players to play how they are and that’s all that matters

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Donut said:

But

Thing with Southampton is they keep selling their best players year on year and not replacing them with better. Sooner or later they are going to have that come back and bite them. It's a downwards trajectory and 8th with a league cup final was a great season given the players they sold and injuries etc. Were they dull? Yes at times, but if you have a light squad most good managers would keep it tight at the back. And some games that season they looked really good. You only have to look at how Pellegrino is getting on to see what's happening with Southampton. It's lucky for us but feel Puel was made a scapegoat by the Southampton board to divert attention away from them not really investing in the squad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Thing with Southampton is they keep selling their best players year on year and not replacing them with better. Sooner or later they are going to have that come back and bite them. It's a downwards trajectory and 8th with a league cup final was a great season given the players they sold and injuries etc. Were they dull? Yes at times, but if you have a light squad most good managers would keep it tight at the back. And some games that season they looked really good. You only have to look at how Pellegrino is getting on to see what's happening with Southampton. It's lucky for us but feel Puel was made a scapegoat by the Southampton board to divert attention away from them not really investing in the squad.

Agree with your thoughts but it's not possible for Southampton to replace £35-£75m players with better players. Would be the same for us if Mahrez or Vardy were sold.

Fortunately we have a stronger resolve than Southampton to keep our best players. But it must be very difficult when the bigger clubs come calling and the player is interested in the move.

32 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Agree with your thoughts but it's not possible for Southampton to replace £35-£75m players with better players. Would be the same for us if Mahrez or Vardy were sold.

Fortunately we have a stronger resolve than Southampton to keep our best players. But it must be very difficult when the bigger clubs come calling and the player is interested in the move.

Good point. Although if a player is pretty much irreplaceable for a side then they have every right, as we have done with Mahrez, to hold out for the upper end of that figure. As they did with Van Dijk. We have to replace 2 title winning centre-backs one straight away and one very soon. Maguire was an absolute steal but shows it can be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desertfox2 said:

Good point. Although if a player is pretty much irreplaceable for a side then they have every right, as we have done with Mahrez, to hold out for the upper end of that figure. As they did with Van Dijk. We have to replace 2 title winning centre-backs one straight away and one very soon. Maguire was an absolute steal but shows it can be done.

Yes agree re Maguire being a steal but replacing Mahrez/Vardy with equal or better players would be so much more difficult (or nigh on impossible) than replacing Huth/Morgan.

• Like 1

Found it quite funny le tiss was saying it was the most shocking to see rowett sacked at birmingham. Not even noticing the irony of his beloved saints getting rid of puel who got them to 8th and a cup final. I'd like jeff to ask him if now he'd rather of kept him for at least the start of this season with how there doing now. 

Look, he’s French. He doesn’t speak our language very well if we’re all honest. Disrespected the FA Cup playing a weakened side. I didn’t see him throat an opposition player at all and so far he’s not referred to any journalist as an Austrian or even an Ostrich. 

Seriously. That’s enough. Puel out!