Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Man City League Cup 1-1 - lost 4-3 on pens

Don’t know about you lot but I feel  gutted. I went to bed just before penalties started last night. I couldn’t bare the agony.

I had many dreams including the World Cup semi England v Germany with Pearce and Waddle! and the Cardiff playoff game with the Waggy miss and our Frenchman’s scuffed heartbreaker It’s all prophetic.

Then I woke up to a grinning Guardiola and Bravo celebration need I say more. Why are we so god awful at penalties; reminds me of England perpetual misery. Hamer is a Shilton and Mahrez and Vardy may as well do pizza adds! 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Craig said:

He did not have to rotate them at all tonight. We are in a comfortable position with a game in four days time. 

It's a missed opportunity to get to a semi-final. It's been over 17 years....

Ndidi was a miss but obviously couldn't play, other than that thought the rest did well. Iheanacho has to be given game time and got better as the game went on. We've a lot of games coming up and only the manager and staff know what fitness levels are like and whether anyone is carrying little knocks which would get worse with another full game. Better to rest than risk a longer period out. It's still early days under Puell and he's got to evaluate what he's got in other than training or u23 matches. Some felt that he fielded the best team against Newcastle but then he changed it and the performance was even better against Southampton.  He's doing well with a team Shakespeare was taking down.  A few weeks ago some people would have been just happy with survival.

9 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Out of all the players you could criticise you choose to pick tonight's captain, who didn't put a foot wrong?  

i could play and do nothing and claim to not put a foot wrong. 

But id expect a captain to lead, fight, win second ball, not be chasing shadows for 120 mins. He got the run around from a 17 year old, never passed forwards and looked like he was blowing from about 10 minutes in. 

How on anyone can say he had a good game is beyond me. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It was one of those frustrating maybe games. A few times the ball pinged randomly round their box and doesn't fall to a Leicester player, or when Vardy closed down Bravo - that ricochets off the other side of his leg, it probably goes in.

We didn't embarrass ourselves. Let's move on, get early safety in the league and put strong teams out to win the FA Cup. :scarf:

My brother summed it up and said it was a game of 'what if's'

• Haha 1

Disappointed. Their fringe/youth players are still better than ours but without the likes of Edilson, De Brunye, Sane etc I was quietly optimistic. But no. Our side reflected that we didn't take the chance to progress seriously. Shame.

42 minutes ago, sdb said:

i could play and do nothing and claim to not put a foot wrong. 

But id expect a captain to lead, fight, win second ball, not be chasing shadows for 120 mins. He got the run around from a 17 year old, never passed forwards and looked like he was blowing from about 10 minutes in. 

How on anyone can say he had a good game is beyond me. 

Andy King was excellent last night, your preconceptions are clouding what you are seeing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I’m not too fussed about the result.

it’s a bit of a tinpot cup these days with all the prem sides putting out largely reserve sides

Good atmosphere and a game that improved in entertainment terms as it went on and all for £15

Surely that should act as an incentive for some (weaker/mid-table) Premier League teams to try and have a go at it?

It's probably the best chance of winning a trophy during a season.

• Like 1

Bit disappointing to lose on penalties but justice was done really as it was never a foul on Gray, I think he's fell in a desperate 97th minute attempt to win something, he was surprised as anyone to see it given. Could we be looking at a ban?

Game was poor to be honest, not a lot happening and Man City were in complete control.

I can't be arsed with this competition anymore. I went to every round thinking maybe this time we'll go full strength, but we wouldn't have, unless we got to the final. All it is, is the fringe-player cup regardless of what team you are. Didn't Burton make 9 changes to go to Old Trafford? lol Bin it off. 

Sure, the actual excitement of Vardy scoring and then going to penalties until he missed was great, but I just felt annoyed that we didn't give it a proper go. Our best XI is more than good enough to beat the team Man City put out last night. They have some cracking young players, but Vardy was scaring the shit out of Mangala and Adarabioyo. They've ended up playing 60+ minutes anyway, so may as well have been on from the start and try to do it in 90. What is the point in giving Hamer and Amartey 90 minutes when they'll never be first team players here? We're not going down and we're not getting into the top 6, just go for it for **** sake. I'd rather have won tonight than beat United on Saturday. 

Iheanacho was crap, but when he's barely getting any game time he's not going to tear Man City apart after being thrown in the deep end. 

One last moan is about the amount of people leaving a cup-tie early when theres one goal in it, only to come back after Vardy scores his penalty and then dash out again before Mahrez even took his. 

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really disappointing to score a 97th minute equalizer and then to lose on penalties!. Leicester played well the first half despite going a goal down and we went for it with Vardy, Mahrez and Gray being brought on in the second half.  again nothing of note from Kalechi and fans will wonder if we ever get anything meaningful from him!

I seem to be in a minority of happy clappers. I didn’t think we played too badly after the mandatory slow start, and the match was quite entertaining. Disappointed we didn’t win obviously but with a bit more luck we might have taken some of those half chances.

I even thought Nacho didn’t play as badly as some here apart from the critical loss of possession (caused by a double failure to control the ball) that lead to their goal.

Hamer made some good saves, Amartey played well again.

Not Chilwell’s best match.

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I know this won't be popular with all the people who reckon we've got nothing to play for in the league - 26 points isn't enough to stay up. After Saturday's shitshow I don't think we can take getting the 5 wins we need for granted. We are shit. 

Something doesn’t seem quite balanced with the side.... and I am fearful that we’re about to go on a dismal run.... but really when you analyse last night, their side contained one regular starter in Jesus and another by default in Mangala..... the rest were kids a fringe players, comparing the two sides and taking into account premier league experience.... we really shouldn’t have been chasing shadows for the best part of an hour.... I must admit I’m slightly ashamed to have watched that......

Mangala and the young centre back looked dodgy from the start. Claude should've started vardy from the off and Gray for albrighton & we would have nicked it in normal time me thinks.

Maguire was an absolute beast all night! and that run at the end was world class (not even joking) imagine if he had scored it.

Nacho is not the striker we are used in terms of closing down and pressing so no wonder people get on his back - Puel and Appleton need to have a hard think about how we use him from now - if not can see him going out on loan :ph34r:

Amartey was solid as was Dragovic 

Albrighton looked knackered from the start.

Missed opportunity for me. O well we need to push on for 7th/8th finish now