Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Man City League Cup 1-1 - lost 4-3 on pens

2 hours ago, sdb said:

i could play and do nothing and claim to not put a foot wrong. 

But id expect a captain to lead, fight, win second ball, not be chasing shadows for 120 mins. He got the run around from a 17 year old, never passed forwards and looked like he was blowing from about 10 minutes in. 

How on anyone can say he had a good game is beyond me. 

he didn't have a bad game either - ultimately we didn't have other choices for CM. Poss Amartey but then that means Simpson not being rested

don't think there was much king or iborra could have done - man city were passing rings round us, and when we had the ball they pressed and pressed us into mistakes

iheanacho - poor first touch leading to the 1st goal aside, wasn't too bad - there is a glimmer of hope there

how was the atmosphere? we didn't sound too loud on Sky,

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I know this won't be popular with all the people who reckon we've got nothing to play for in the league - 26 points isn't enough to stay up. After Saturday's shitshow I don't think we can take getting the 5 wins we need for granted. We are shit. 

We’re neither shit or brilliant. We’re somewhere in between, which is why we’re currently 8th in the table. Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea in our next 5 games so we may well drop a bit, but on our day we can beat perhaps 16 or 17 teams in the Prem.

• Like 2

I'm not the reactionary type so go easy on me, but I think some of our senior players involved last night need to take a long, hard look in the mirror this morning and ask themselves could they have done better. For Man City to field 4 players under 21 with an accumulated total of 2 first team appearances and yet be very comfortable throughout is concerning. Yes they may be talented (and they were), but ultimately experience should see you through the game and their naivety was there to be exploited.

Such a shame to go out of the competition at this stage, and tactically proved to be a worse case scenario outcome with virtually a full strength side clocking up unnecessary minutes towards the end in what is proving to be a rather hectic schedule as it is. Oh well, time to pick ourselves up and bounce back with a result on Saturday. 

Edited by ian_marshall

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Surely that should act as an incentive for some (weaker/mid-table) Premier League teams to try and have a go at it?

It's probably the best chance of winning a trophy during a season.

I was at Hillsborough when we beat Middlesbrough and utterly celebrated the win but these days winning a cup where you beat lower league teams or the reserve teams of other PL sides just doesn’t float my boat.

And I used to love the UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup but the Europa Cup as it is now means watching a semi reserve match on the Thursday and your PL games often being switched to a Sunday. 

Even writing this I realise what a miserable git I’ve become lol 

45 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

They may have been young and fringe players but they would probably be first team regulars anywhere else.

yep - people forget that.

they're still playing the way Pep has trained them to play, the same game as the senior team.

the quality in their reserves is obviously going to be very high.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I was at Hillsborough when we beat Middlesbrough and utterly celebrated the win but these days winning a cup where you beat lower league teams or the reserve teams of other PL sides just doesn’t float my boat.

And I used to love the UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup but the Europa Cup as it is now means watching a semi reserve match on the Thursday and your PL games often being switched to a Sunday. 

Even writing this I realise what a miserable git I’ve become lol 

I'd say it's harder to win the league cup now than it was in 97.

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

yep - people forget that.

they're still playing the way Pep has trained them to play, the same game as the senior team.

the quality in their reserves is obviously going to be very high.  

Key word being reserves though.... yes they may be technically good, but you’d really expect a steady premier league side to beat them....

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Disappointed. Their fringe/youth players are still better than ours but without the likes of Edilson, De Brunye, Sane etc I was quietly optimistic. But no. Our side reflected that we didn't take the chance to progress seriously. Shame.

Personally I was disappointed we waited sixty minutes until we started attacking them. We allowed their youngsters to grow into the game. Once we got stuck in more, it was notable that their passing wasn't coming off and I felt we were the better side in the extra time period. 

The players felt to me half arsed as well until 60 and the danger of our starting line-up was no pace and no trickery. This translated into the players themselves not being confidence enough with their colleagues and their own performance. I thought Chilwell was absolutely atrocious, the lad is becoming a Premier League regular and he has zero confidence in his own ability.  

We got what we deserved sadly. It says a lot when I felt Maguire and Dragovic were by far are our best players. Just a shame it had to come in such harsh circumstances. 

Just to mention Bernando Silva would leave every other top Premier League eleven a merry dance. He's simply quality and out of the Man City's team thanks to Sterling's recent form. 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I'd say it's harder to win the league cup now than it was in 97.

I disagree.- if the bigger clubs are winning it more often than they used to that is still contributed to by most other PL teams also choosing to field weakened sides in the competition. But even if you were right, we hadn’t won anything in my lifetime at that point so I was just happy for what we had got.

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I disagree.- if the bigger clubs are winning it more often than they used to that is still contributed to by most other PL teams also choosing to field weakened sides in the competition. But even if you were right, we hadn’t won anything in my lifetime at that point so I was just happy for what we had got.

Top 4 or 5 PL clubs have much deeper squads these days, even their reserves or under 21s are full of talent. Compare that to the Man United team we beat in 97. Toughest team we faced that season was probably Wimbledon. 

Agree with your last sentence though. Brilliant achievement. I was too young to appreciate what winning a trophy really meant for Leicester. 

Just now, bovril said:

Top 4 or 5 PL clubs have much deeper squads these days, even their reserves or under 21s are full of talent. Compare that to the Man United team we beat in 97. Toughest team we faced that season was probably Wimbledon. 

Agree with your last sentence though. Brilliant achievement. I was too young to appreciate what winning a trophy really meant for Leicester. 

Yeah, but our strongest team ought to have beaten the team put out by Man City last night. Too many teams make the choice to not fully compete for this trophy for it to have that much integrity in my eyes. 

Yeah it was great :) 

At the time I really did think it might be the only trophy that we would win in my lifetime :thumbup: 

3 hours ago, sdb said:

i could play and do nothing and claim to not put a foot wrong. 

But id expect a captain to lead, fight, win second ball, not be chasing shadows for 120 mins. He got the run around from a 17 year old, never passed forwards and looked like he was blowing from about 10 minutes in. 

How on anyone can say he had a good game is beyond me. 

Agree completely which is why I belive we need another midfielder. No one can be confident if he starts or comes on. I'd forgot he was playing in the second half. 

4 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Where does this misconception come from?

Our squad is not 'paper thin' by any means. In fact I would say the 2nd string that started last night would avoid relegation in the PL at least.

Well we had no natural right backs to rotate, no available central midfielders, and no available wingers that aren't already playing basically every game. It's less than ideal. We're so stacked in strikers that we're thinner everywhere else than we want to be.

That being said, the team put out yesterday wasn't a bad one by any stretch of the imagination.

30 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

I agree with King, he didn’t do too much wrong last night. However he still bottles 50/50 more often than not.

I have to disagree here, he is far too negative and more often than not passes the ball backwards. His reactions were also very slow. I love the guy but I do think that he should now move on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the fox said:

people not talking about how good shini was, he was amazing! (and i'm not even his biggest fan)

His work rate was incredible! The amount of times he fell over and lost possession was mental though. It was like watching a dad have a kick about with his toddler every time he came up against a Man City player haha.

I didn't think last night was as bad as some people are making out. There were some positive performances Sinj, Albrighton, Amarty, Iborra and Maguire were decent Nacho I thought was ok in the first half considering the amount of time he's payed - I'm not sure what people expect from him. There were some not such great performaces. Fuchs needs upgrading and Chilwell didn't have his best game in midfield (I'm not sure but it looked like Chilwell was being asked to come inside more to help make the numbers up in midfield and I don't know if he's used to that.)

King. I was keeping an eye on him and he is what you expect from his experience and quality - a solid CM, he's not going to the central midfielder that drives the team forward and he's not a disrupter like Ndidi - so I think the work he does gets overlooked. I'm not critical of King he does what he does well - it more shows the lack of depth in a squad that we haven't got many other options.

It's a bit of a shame Kaputska is on loan, it would have been interesting to see what he would have done in Chilwell's position last night with Chili behind him instead of Fuchs and perhaps Silva will really add to our midfield game when he comes in. I would expect that Puel learned alot from that game about where our squad needs strengthening to build the team he wants. 

4 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

So you're saying they're both good penalty takers? 

I'm saying how can you slate Vardy when he scored a crucial penalty earlier in the game coupled with his decent penalty track record.  In my opinion it's worth giving to Vardy purely as a way of boosting his general confidence. To have a defender take them must affect him psychologically in that he's out main striker banging in goals yet he's not good enough to take a penalty...

I agree though, Mahrez should not be taking them.

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I know this won't be popular with all the people who reckon we've got nothing to play for in the league - 26 points isn't enough to stay up. After Saturday's shitshow I don't think we can take getting the 5 wins we need for granted. We are shit. 

Yeah this is wrong. It's Europa League or mid-table for us.

Edited by Harry - LCFC

28 minutes ago, jon1bc said:

I'm saying how can you slate Vardy when he scored a crucial penalty earlier in the game coupled with his decent penalty track record.  In my opinion it's worth giving to Vardy purely as a way of boosting his general confidence. To have a defender take them must affect him psychologically in that he's out main striker banging in goals yet he's not good enough to take a penalty...

I agree though, Mahrez should not be taking them.

But he's too eratic. I'm not saying a defender should take them, I just don't think he should. But if a defender taking penalties is gonna knock is confidence then 2 placing them perfectly whilst he failed to hit the target is surely gonna do him no good either? 

Give them to whoever is the best at taking them. Vardy isn't. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

Watched the extra time earlier this morning for the first time and have to say we were probably unfortunate to get nothing from the 30m some decent play and preserving energy but-

Shinzi oh Shinzi 3 times in first few minutes his control and balance(assuming he has one) let us down in really good positions and then second 15 similar just needed  one good solid pass or hold the ball/attack a cross and we were in with a proper chance on goal. .We love him but that was very poor.He wins a lot of ball high up but if you watch that again it was panful.

King is Ok/steady nut not dynamic and that is what is needed at the top.

Shame but sight better than the CP game.