Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Man City League Cup 1-1 - lost 4-3 on pens

11 hours ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

Absolutely fuming. Even more so than when I saw the team sheet yesterday evening.

I had a ticket but thankfully couldn't make it due to work commitments. I say thankfully because if I had to drive back for 2-2.5 hours after that last night, getting minimal sleep before heading into work again this morning after the half arsed effort from the club I would've been seething. Had we played our strongest 11 and still come up short, fair enough I would never get on the teams back if they try their best and simply aren't good enough. That may well have still happened but you have to at least try, give it a real go.

I heard and saw many people last night saying they were proud of the effort the team put in. I can't agree, that team selection shows that we didn't take it seriously enough as a club and I could never be proud of that half arsed approach as a club overall.

Football is about winning trophies. Perhaps we'll be a little more prepared for the upcoming league fixtures might now finish a little higher in the league (I'm not convinced it'll make much difference anyway) but who honestly cares? Every year we get excuses for not taking the domestic cups seriously;  we need to focus on achieving promotion, avoiding relegation or even winning the league. Taking this approach is understandable at those times but this season there was literally no reason not to put our full strength side out last night. We've thrown away a real shot of getting to a cup final this season and once you're there, who knows what could happen?

This is the reality of the money oriented world we follow football in these days. Clubs would rather focus on trying to finish one or two places higher in the league for a few extra quid than have the prestige of winning actual trophies.

Spot on mate. 

18 hours ago, Sammy said:

I've heard a lot of hype about Dragovic (He should be starting ahead of Morgan etcetc) and last night was only the second time I'd seen him play - after which I saw a lot of people on twitter trying to claim this is why he should be starting ahead of Morgan?

Was it just me that thought he was all over the place yesterday? And is it also just me that thinks Morgan has been extremely solid so far this year? Is it another case of a player that isn't playing getting a load of praise for no good reason while one that is playing gets slagged off

think hes played better vs Liverpool and leeds

yesterday initially 1st half (the goal) and then opening of 2nd half (where he slipped) was a bit dodgy but rest of the game he appeared decent and composed

did look a bit bulky and slow compared to the 2 previous games. maybe just not match fit anymore. still think he can be a good player for us if given the games especially over xmas

1 minute ago, Koke said:

We started with Maguire, Chilwell, Iborra, Albrighton, King and Fuchs. We then brought on Vardy, Gray and Mahrez. You'd think Puel played the U23s by the reaction on here. Ndidi was suspended so King had to play. Vardy has been flogged, needed a rest, and if we can't play our £25m striker in a cup game then when can we? Have people forgotten the hectic schedule we are on atm?

And how was Puel to know Pep would play loads of kids lol the guy  can't see into the future. And surely if the team we put out can't score in open play for 120 minutes against Mangala, Aderwbayo or whatever his name is and that Eastern European kid left back then we deserve nothing.

Personally I'd have prioritised this game over the United game on Saturday. Annoyingly, Vardy, Mahrez and Gray have ended up playing 60-70 minutes anyway, so it's not like they even had a rest.

38 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

We had no problem playing a strong team for a midweek game when we were in the Champions League and this year we couldn't be in a more stable Premier League position. They just don't give a shit about the League Cup, so why should anyone?

We're currently in a run of 10 games in 35 days, it's not reasonable to expect us to pick the same players every time.

It's very easy to be wise after the event but without knowledge of Wednesday night's results or Man City's team selection Puel probably looked at it and thought that we'd have to beat 3 of Man City, Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea to win the competition. He probably didn't think it was very realistic and so thought this was as good a time as any to give other players a chance. In fact before the Palace game plenty on here were thinking that a top 6 finish was our most likely route into Europe. As it was we got walloped with our strongest team out on Saturday and the League Cup game took on extra significance.

My only criticism for Tuesday is that we didn't finish Man City off in extra time. We were well on top (as we should have been given the disparity in the two XIs out at the time) and failed to do anything with the momentum we'd built up.

Last year Puel took Southampton to the League Cup final and got sacked. You can forgive the man for thinking that his priorities might be better placed elsewhere.

2 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Team selection wasnt that bad. Bearing in mind our prevailing striker issues and centre midfield shortage and we have a lot of games. We cant play a first team every match

Someone said to me last night that its in the spirit of the cup to give other players a game and thats true innit

No.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

We started with Maguire, Chilwell, Iborra, Albrighton, King and Fuchs. We then brought on Vardy, Gray and Mahrez. You'd think Puel played the U23s by the reaction on here. Ndidi was suspended so King had to play. Vardy has been flogged, needed a rest, and if we can't play our £25m striker in a cup game then when can we? Have people forgotten the hectic schedule we are on atm?

And how was Puel to know Pep would play loads of kids lol the guy  can't see into the future. And surely if the team we put out can't score in open play for 120 minutes against Mangala, Aderwbayo or whatever his name is and that Eastern European kid left back then we deserve nothing.

Sorry, totally disagree ...  Vardy is the one player who can run around and give his absolute all all the time ...   the guy has immense stamina and drive ...   he has played through injuries and given 100% ...   he's a footballing superman.  As for Nacho ?!? ...   forget what he cost and what he should be able to do ..  for us he is cr@p! ...   uninterested and toothless.   Yes try him out, yes give him a chance, but not in that fookin game !! ..   a few half matches in the league perhaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

And how was Puel to know Pep would play loads of kids lol the guy  can't see into the future.

I can't see how this makes any difference? We should've played our strongest team regardless.

Effectively it comes down to priorities. The club has chosen to prioritise league fixtures and possibly finishing slightly higher up mid-table, rather than actively go for silverware.

32 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Sorry, totally disagree ...  Vardy is the one player who can run around and give his absolute all all the time ...   the guy has immense stamina and drive ...   he has played through injuries and given 100% ...   he's a footballing superman.  As for Nacho ?!? ...   forget what he cost and what he should be able to do ..  for us he is cr@p! ...   uninterested and toothless.   Yes try him out, yes give him a chance, but not in that fookin game !! ..   a few half matches in the league perhaps.

Thats just weird

30 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Wow! I've never encountered quite such an unholy melange of bitterness, sheer spite and recrimination about a result before.

Puel has had an extremely short period in post. He's consolidated a position of relative safety in the table. For whatever reason he decided to use the Man City game to rest some players and give others a chance. The opposition is a hugely strong club in-depth. I suspect Guardiola could field a 'reserve' side capable of Premiership consistency - so this wasn't a weakened team, chosen out of necessity rather than strategy. Guardiola was doing  the same thing as Puel - only, in this game of 'poker', he had a stronger deal.

They dominated the first half and capitalised on an error by Iheancho. Yet, as soon as Vardy, Mahrez (and later Gray) came on Leicester were in the ascendant. Football isn't chess -  unexpected outcomes can and do happen - Mourinho found that out last night (hurrah).

Sure, a football manager knows the score (sorry) - they know the transitory nature of their popularity (if they ever get to be popular) and they know they will be sacked eventually (except for some rare exceptions). But it appears that there are a number of posters, some of whom should know the vicissitudes of the game well-enough by now, who only seem to gauge the players and managers capability on a match-by-match basis. I doubt Puel reads this forum - maybe some of the players do, but the boos at the end of the Palace match were obvious to the manager and the players. Maybe it's the times we live in - that we're far more ready to criticise others' apparent shortcomings and find it far easier to justify our own actions. 

We call ourselves supporters but these reactions aren't support - they're barely disguised undermining. This is the best and most successful squad we've ever had and they're still not good enough for some.

A piece of sanity at last admist the OTT Mentally decrepid negatives...now I know I am not alone..!! 

For me , one can show disapointment and frustration, in one critic, but much on here goes into

the magnitudes of leading Continual crusades either against  individual Players, or descisions, that dont

match some posters ideas. Then the addition of spite, just for the sake of it....

Top Post @Gerbold , always enjoy your posts, even those few where god forbid, I might take another view.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

I can't see how this makes any difference? We should've played our strongest team regardless.

Effectively it comes down to priorities. The club has chosen to prioritise league fixtures and possibly finishing slightly higher up mid-table, rather than actively go for silverware.

Rubbish..

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

We're currently in a run of 10 games in 35 days, it's not reasonable to expect us to pick the same players every time.

It's very easy to be wise after the event but without knowledge of Wednesday night's results or Man City's team selection Puel probably looked at it and thought that we'd have to beat 3 of Man City, Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea to win the competition. He probably didn't think it was very realistic and so thought this was as good a time as any to give other players a chance. In fact before the Palace game plenty on here were thinking that a top 6 finish was our most likely route into Europe. As it was we got walloped with our strongest team out on Saturday and the League Cup game took on extra significance.

My only criticism for Tuesday is that we didn't finish Man City off in extra time. We were well on top (as we should have been given the disparity in the two XIs out at the time) and failed to do anything with the momentum we'd built up.

Last year Puel took Southampton to the League Cup final and got sacked. You can forgive the man for thinking that his priorities might be better placed elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if Schmeichel was in need of a rest. It's easy to say in hindsight, but I think a full first XI would have won in 90 minutes instead of Maguire, Okazaki, Iborra and Fuchs having to do a full 120. 

I don't blame Puel in particular, because pretty much every team has an apathy about the League Cup now. Personally, I'd rather have won on Tuesday than on this Saturday. I realise it's not how Premier League football teams work now but give me a two-legged semi final ahead of Wembley over a fresher team against United. Bristol City gambled their freshness with a full strength side against Man United and upset the odds. They've got a similarly jam-packed schedule to us, but if they lose at the weekend, I don't think they'll complain too much. 

I would have fancied us against a similarly changed Arsenal or Chelsea. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

My main gripe is that we could have rested players against Palace in order to play our strongest 11 in the cup. This is surely what a squad is for. We can have players play in the prem like Iheanacho, Dragovic, Musa or Slimani. This then makes them feel wanted by the club and gives them some meaningful game time to try and force their way into the team long term. Just playing Fringe players only in the cup is for me a poor way of using your squad. We are in a position where we aren't in relegation trouble so it was a perfect chance to mix it up in the league and really go for the cup. Shame

4 hours ago, Jonezy said:

The overreaction is real around here...

This was our best chance to win a cup in 17 years. It was a fantastic and rare opportunity. If you're not upset by it it's either because you don't understand the magnitude of the chance we had, or because you aren't much bothered by silverware.

• Like 1

I expect the club has given puel the target of finishing 6th/7th and qualifying for Europe that way.  given that no one expected united to lose last night, the thought of getting through two more very tough fixtures in January and then an even tougher final probably seems a more difficult task than finishing 7th !

add to that the business case of prize money in the prem per place and suspect that there was no pressure from high up to play the full first eleven ahead of four games in ten days starting Saturday (two of which are yanited and pool)

the management and players need our support to drive them on now.

When I said we should 'go for it' cos we don't stand a chance of europe from prem league placings ( still smarting over 0-3 C.Palace, H....)   - I was told to shut up because of the 'magnificence' of the teams left in this cup.

How ironic that two legs against Bristol City would have given us a great chance of the final. If only we had put in Vardy (or Slimani)  (or Thomas) (or Ulloa) (or my fat cat, Casper) instead of mr. Uninterested Iheanacho - we could still be dreaming of europe! :blink:

53 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Which part of that do you think is rubbish out of interest?

I find it hard that anyone can disagree with that.

29 minutes ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

Care to expand on this at all?

He's the one talking fookin rubbish ! ...   its as plain as day what the priorities are.   OK I am not criticising the owners who have done so much for this club ..   but at the same time it was just such an opportunity as a lifelong supporter to possibly go to Wembley and see my team lift a cup.   :(

Guest Col city fan
49 minutes ago, Strokes said:

That’s all the confirmation I need, cheers :thumbup:

I wasn't saying your clappy hands were garbage. I was adding to the 'garbage, rubbish' one liners.

Pants!

Etc...

lol

Ie I was trying to lighten the spirit...which went down like a fart in a spacesuit...

lol

Edited by Col city fan