Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Man City League Cup 1-1 - lost 4-3 on pens

Clearly far from Man City's first team but they had some good footballers out there who were very comfortable on the ball. Once we stopped unnecessarily giving them respect and the early-ish goal, we got into it and with Vardy, Mahrez and Gray wrested the initiative and deserved the 'draw' at FT although the penalty to equalise was fortunate. A stronger outfit and more belief from the off might have won it in normal time.

We looked better team in ET but the penalties were really disappointing after the first three. Theirs were excellent. 

It was better than Saturday and something of a response with more spirit and determination. I see that as a positive despite the disappointment of defeat. The league is far more important. Onwards to beating the other half of Manchester on Saturday evening.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Just watch us ****ing lose to Utd anyway on Sat....

Will be fuming if we play our 2nd string in the FA Cup.

Against Fleetwood? lol We will 100% play our second team against a League One club.

3 minutes ago, sdb said:

Game plan was about right. We just don't quite have the quality in reserves. 

Kills me me to say it but King has done his bit as a player here now. 

Out of all the players you could criticise you choose to pick tonight's captain, who didn't put a foot wrong?  

• Like 2

anyone get a look of the stats for our recent shootouts?
lost our last 4 now including cardiff twice and hull.

in our last 4 shootouts the opponents have scored 23/23 penalties.

could be unlucky or could be that we always have useless ****ing keepers in goal when it goes to pens (Weale x2, 90 year old Schwarzer and Hamer tonight)

when was the last time we ****ing won one? we're worse than England

15 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

People can look for positives because we took it to penalties if they like, but the truth is that was an utterly pathetic performance and only awful refereeing kept us in it.

The manager should be ashamed for not putting our strongest team out for that. Man City were poor and yet we were 2nd best throughout by some way.

A chance to get to a semi final and we showed absolutely nothing from start to finish.

100% disagree with everything youve said.

Man City were not poor and even with reserve team players playing still had the quality of £250k a week Toure who just plays in this competition...Gundogan, Silva, Danilo and Jesus who would all walk into our first team. They all played the Pep way and didn't give us any time on the ball and very rarely ever gave it away cheaply from my recollection. That Man City team were 10 times better than Soton and Newcastle who we played recently....maybe even better than Spurs who lets face it were toothless.

We huffed and we puffed and I think every player bar Nacho put in a solid 7 out of 10 performance. Even King got some tackles in that werent fouls (shock horror). Like I said they were very well drilled and didnt let us play our game but we kept going and going and everyone of our players can hold their heads up high tonight. Players like Dragovic and Amartey were great tonight considering they havent kicked a ball since the last round and even Benny looked good when he came on.

Anyway rant over...thats my take on it.

• Like 2

Just now, Koke said:

Against Fleetwood? lol We will 100% play our second team against a League One club.

I meant in general in the FA Cup, say if we got Chelsea in the 5th round or something and we were around mid table like we are now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

What on Earth am I reading in here tonight? If we’d have started with the people we eventually brought on we’d have won.

We didn’t so ****ing move on. The people who are getting stick don’t deserve it. Gamer saved everything that came near him and he can actually kick a ball! None of you would ever criticise Kasper like this.

We essentially drew with the best team in Europe playing our reserves so shut up and move on.

We essentially fcuked up a chance of progressing to the next round imo , to rest players perhaps ,well that went well Maguire will be shagged now and did Claude look at the fixture list we are playing the other Manchester side.

• Like 1

Real shame N’Didi wasn’t available.

If he was, I think we could have approached the game differently. We would have been able to press them high to try force mistakes in their third, instead of us sitting back all game.

Their back line was there for the taking but we never pressured them really or got in their faces.

33 minutes ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

The amount of headed chances that we fluffed is unbelievable! Oh well we can have our heads held high after that. It's been clear for a while that Vardy and Mahrez aren't our best penalty takers

If only we had a striker who was good at headers in our squad... shame it looks like he might be off... 

8 minutes ago, Koke said:

Not sure which is our first team and which is our second at the moment... :ph34r: