Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Man City League Cup 1-1 - lost 4-3 on pens

1 hour ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

The amount of headed chances that we fluffed is unbelievable! Oh well we can have our heads held high after that. It's been clear for a while that Vardy and Mahrez aren't our best penalty takers

This. We had a shocking number of high-quality opportunities, got bailed out by a suspect penalty, then flubbed more chances. The lads were worn out, just couldn't finish, but we win that game handily if the ball bounces 6 inches different on 4-5 opportunities. That is often the case in many matches, I admit, but we were unlucky to lose today. 

If Ndidi starts, I don't see how they score at all.

It was one of those frustrating maybe games. A few times the ball pinged randomly round their box and doesn't fall to a Leicester player, or when Vardy closed down Bravo - that ricochets off the other side of his leg, it probably goes in.

We didn't embarrass ourselves. Let's move on, get early safety in the league and put strong teams out to win the FA Cup. :scarf:

• Like 2

Pretty depressing night really. Probably our only chance of winning anything and we put a half arsed side out. Surely we wanna win something again. If we had started with the team that finished we probably would of won. Man City were nothing special at all. Least we've rested a few for Saturday's defeat though

• Like 1

Any of you stop to think that maybe just maybe Claude backs this team to qualify for Europe through the league?

Im as annoyed as anyone that we didn’t go full strength. But if our manager genuinely believes we have the talent to qualify (with added Silva and a right back) then I fully back him to go on and achieve that! 

11 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Very unlucky, did all we could really.

There's a strong chance they'll win three trophies this season.

There's a player of theirs that looked similar to De Bruyne (number 35/36?) who stood out for me - very good awareness and intelligent on the ball.

Zinchenko i believe his name is. I thought he was probably their best player and also dealt with Mahrez quite well in general. 

• Like 2

Jokes aside, take a second to just admire Pep.... he got that group of players playing as fluid as their first team.... yes they weren’t as dangerous as they would be with Silva, Sane and KDB in the side, but **** me they had us chasing shadows for most of the game.... disappointed that we didn’t give them more of a game for the whole game, but man... they’re good. 

Any of you stop to think that maybe just maybe Claude backs this team to qualify for Europe through the league?

Im as annoyed as anyone that we didn’t go full strength. But if our manager genuinely believes we have the talent to qualify (with added Silva and a right back) then I fully back him to go on and achieve that! 
I would love for that to be the case but our upcoming next 10 fixtures aren't easy. Some in form teams there. Watford twice, United next, City again, Liverpool, Chelsea, inform Everton.

Not easy. Must have to put all our eggs in the FA cup basket.

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's not just about that. It's a chance to go to Wembley and win some silverware. That's always a positive and feel good factor.

Agreed that league will be priority but we had a golden opportunity today. Not sure whether going the distance has done more damage than good for Saturday

Odd game. I thought we were well worth taking them to extra time even if the penalty was dubious (re: shouldn't have been given). 

Feel sorry for Iheancho. Isn't really working for him here but tonight was a tough game to show off what he was about. People in the match thread saying he isn't Prem class are knee jerk turds given his record.

Dragovic went on holiday for their first and Fuchs (penalty aside) was terrible, some of Iborra's passing was astray but apart from that I thought we were okay. Amartey (bar one weird effort at a clearance that went out for a corner) was really impressive at right back no matter how certain members of this forum seem desperate for him to fail. 

Penalties always a lottery, and we eneded up on the wrong side of the coin – please lets go at United and ****ing win.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The authorities are Hell bent at the moment on making an example of ‘diving’.

I think Gray will get a ban

Col, referee had a really good view and there was some contact. As the Authorities seem to have turned a blind eye to De Breyne's blatant dive at the weekend, Gray will hopefully be ok. 

Looking at the shoot out, two of Man City's pen were very good, two really average, but Hamer seemed to go the wrong way almost on purpose; obviously he didnt, but very disappointed with him. After they had scored two, it was clear he was not going to save one. People blame the penalty missers, but sometimes, keepers like Hamer make it too easy. 

I can understand people's frustration with a weakened side with a place in the semi-finals up for grabs, but more than likely, we weren't going to beat Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (bar any surprises in Wednesdays games) over two legs anyway, let alone beating another one of those in the final. We need to take what we can from tonight's game and the fact that we drastically need to improve our squad. For me, the likes of Hamer, Amartey, Dragovic and King are all Championship quality players so we need to improve in that respect. All in all disappointing tonight but it just wasn't enough. LTID.

3 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I can understand people's frustration with a weakened side with a place in the semi-finals up for grabs, but more than likely, we weren't going to beat Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (bar any surprises in Wednesdays games) over two legs anyway, let alone beating another one of those in the final. We need to take what we can from tonight's game and the fact that we drastically need to improve our squad. For me, the likes of Hamer, Amartey, Dragovic and King are all Championship quality players so we need to improve in that respect. All in all disappointing tonight but it just wasn't enough. LTID.

I'm not arsed either way but you could argue winning four games (including tonight) is easier than finishing in a certain league position over the course of a season – especially in a competition notorious for weakened sides.

EDIT - You don't even have to win the four games, just have the better over two legs in the semis.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie