Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Man City League Cup 1-1 - lost 4-3 on pens

Obviously gutted to lose on penalties but if Gray did take a dive for the penalty (I've not yet seen it on TV) I don't feel quite as bad, as they would have won 1-0 in normal time. I hate the diving in the game these days and wouldn't want to win by cheating anyway.

Edited by Blue Fox 72

30 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I can understand people's frustration with a weakened side with a place in the semi-finals up for grabs, but more than likely, we weren't going to beat Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (bar any surprises in Wednesdays games) over two legs anyway, let alone beating another one of those in the final. We need to take what we can from tonight's game and the fact that we drastically need to improve our squad. For me, the likes of Hamer, Amartey, Dragovic and King are all Championship quality players so we need to improve in that respect. All in all disappointing tonight but it just wasn't enough. LTID.

This is why I wasn't too bothered about us playing a non first team. It looks like the other three semi finalists will be Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea. Even though we got beat on penalties in the QF we were never close to winning this competition. However I would have been spitting feathers if all the other elite teams had been knocked out and it was just poor PL and Championship sides left.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

If it makes anyone feel better, Bernardo Silva alone cost more than Maguire, Iborra, Okazaki, Gray, Vardy, Mahrez, Amartey, Chilwell (obviously), Hamer (obviously), Fuchs (obviously), King (obviously) and Albrighton (obviously) combined. Almost our entire starting XI today, minus Iheanacho could have been purchased for the same as Danilo.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thought we played well in the 2nd half Vardy Mahrez And Gray gave us what we were missing in the first half, don’t know what to say about nacho ? why he can’t fit into our squad and play how we all hoped he would but all I hope is that Puell puts out our best squad in the right formation to really have a go at Manure on Saturday !!

Just now, jim5000 said:

To be fair to Puel, he had to rotate the team and use the squad. It's not his fault that the squad is paper thin.

He did not have to rotate them at all tonight. We are in a comfortable position with a game in four days time. 

It's a missed opportunity to get to a semi-final. It's been over 17 years....

• Like 1

We do have a ridiculous knack of going out in the quarters. Happened a fair few times in both cups in the last ten years and it even happened in the Champions League.

I do feel we've got the balance horribly wrong. We've done just under what was required to win tonight and whilst not being fresh for Saturday either, with Gray possibly out for two games with nothing to show for it. The worst possible outcome. For all Vardy and Mahrez were rested for part of that game, the likes of Okazaki, Iborra and Maguire all played 120 - something that arguably doesn't happen if we start Vardy and Mahrez.

Things just aren't falling our way this season.

Edited by Dan LCFC

33 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We do have a ridiculous knack of going out in the quarters. Happened a fair few times in both cups in the last ten years and it even happened in the Champions League.

I do feel we've got the balance horribly wrong. We've done just under what was required to win tonight and whilst not being fresh for Saturday either, with Gray possibly out for two games with nothing to show for it. The worst possible outcome. For all Vardy and Mahrez were rested for part of that game, the likes of Okazaki, Iborra and Maguire all played 120 - something that arguably doesn't happen if we start Vardy and Mahrez.

Things just aren't falling our way this season.

Vardy and Mahrez still played about 80 minutes with extra time/added time etc. Start them and that first half doesn't happen.

6 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

People can look for positives because we took it to penalties if they like, but the truth is that was an utterly pathetic performance and only awful refereeing kept us in it.

The manager should be ashamed for not putting our strongest team out for that. Man City were poor and yet we were 2nd best throughout by some way.

A chance to get to a semi final and we showed absolutely nothing from start to finish.

cough cough ...BS.....cough cough

Completely frustrating that our two 'best' players cannot take a penalty for shit.

Vardy hoofs and hopes and mahrez just looks like he's never taken one in his career. I knew when they both stepped up they would both miss. 

High time the club adressed this. 

4 hours ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Well he scored the first one to make it 1_1 what you say doesn't make any sense 

Well it does considering mahrez's record isn't very good and bar the title season neither is Vardys. They aren't good penalty takers. Hardly a controversial opinion is it 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

End of the day it looked like Hamer was never going to save one. They had a quality keeper we were hoping to hang in there until we got down to their youth team player's.

I thought it was a decent game and after the first half we looked the more threatening.

6 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I’m not too fussed about the result.

it’s a bit of a tinpot cup these days with all the prem sides putting out largely reserve sides

Good atmosphere and a game that improved in entertainment terms as it went on and all for £15

Tinpot cup maybe but probably our only chance we will get in Europe again anytime soon. 

6 hours ago, jim5000 said:

To be fair to Puel, he had to rotate the team and use the squad. It's not his fault that the squad is paper thin.

Where does this misconception come from?

Our squad is not 'paper thin' by any means. In fact I would say the 2nd string that started last night would avoid relegation in the PL at least.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

If only we had a striker who was good at headers in our squad... shame it looks like he might be off... 

Not sure which is our first team and which is our second at the moment... :ph34r:

I'm assuming you are referring to Slim? One of the reasons he doesn't get games is because we bought him to be a CF, but realised he is actually awful at heading and likes the ball at his feet, which is fair enough, but not what we wanted him for. 

Thought we played this game wrong. It was a game to play down the channels, or  lump it up and pick up the second ball, this was when we had our successes, but Puel wanted us to try and play out and we were second best.

Needed to be uglier, rawer, a bit like an underdog in the Cup and we could have won this.

Also he took Albrighton off, when Chilwell was having a shocker, should have made the Chilwell change earlier.

Dont like to criticise, but think Puel got this one wrong. We could have won this by playing like the underdog as they looked edgy at the back before Walker came on. 

• Like 1