Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Man United Post Match 2-2!!!

Saw an interesting analysis on Danish telly re. Kasper and the free-kick. They went back to the Watford-United game where Young scored a free-kick by putting it to the same side that Gomes covered. 

So, when Kasper saw that Young was standing over it, he may have had that in the back of his mind - hence his late reaction and movement across goal. Whether he was able to see through the wall of players who was actually taking the free-kick, I don’t know.

To be fair, they did say that he probably was slightly to blame so they weren’t  being completely biased towards their precious Dane ;) 

Anyway, in conclusion, **** off Man United. Get in Leicester. Merry Christmas. 

• Like 1

Deserved result.

When it was 11 v 12 we were always in it.

Someone needs to have a serious word with Kasper about his positioning on free kicks, it's getting ridiculous, and put a man on the post maybe.

Moment of the night, goals aside, Kasper missing Riyad with his goal kick and United giving us the ball back as they thought it was done deliberately for an injury...........er no he's just awfully bad at that!

Edited by Livid

Good on I wasn’t playing. Totally gave up when Amartey was sent off, and just hoping to get away with 1-2 or 1-3, so this result was a fantastic bonus. Kudos to the lads for not giving up.

Perhaps we can get rid of both Slim & Leo and just put Harry in as CF when we need a plan B?

Edited by WigstonWanderer

10 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Absolutely right Doc. Pogba committed numerous tactical fouls, no different from Amartey's - didn't even get booked I don't think. Really hope someone from the club is on the phone to the FA tomorrow morning to ask what the fvck was that from a top level ref? 

This is 100% correct.

9 hours ago, Peterorange said:

Manchester United's arrogance cost them 2 points. Two minutes left and instead of taking it into the corner they were like, "it's only Leicester with 10 men, let's score a third". Absolutely love it!

Well presumably their arrogance stemmed from their manager who just told them at half time it was an "easy match to win." Perhaps if at half time he had given us the respect we deserve they might have taken it all a bit more seriousy. But then they have spent a lot of money and they're united so they have a divine right to win every match they play.

Agree with you completely.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, reynard said:

Well presumably their arrogance stemmed from their manager who just told them at half time it was an "easy match to win." Perhaps if at half time he had given us the respect we deserve they might have taken it all a bit more seriousy. But then they have spent a lot of money and they're united so they have a divine right to win every match they play.Centre

Agree with you completely.

Jon Moss seems to think so

I got up at 5 this morning with a "ahem" muzzy head to watch the game back again  - admittedly on fast forward to our bits and Moss's errors - the latter nearly took the whole game anyway. 

Vardy's goal was just magnificent. The speed and precision (did Wilf really mean that pass?) of the counterattack stunning, until Mahrez's wonderful sense to stop and hold the defender with the looping ball before delaying the perfect pass to Vardy. Then came the brilliance of the execution and timing to deliver a fatal blow to their hopes. What a cross and what a finish. The perfect Christmas present. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

9 hours ago, Peterorange said:

Manchester United's arrogance cost them 2 points. Two minutes left and instead of taking it into the corner they were like, "it's only Leicester with 10 men, let's score a third". Absolutely love it!

That wasn't a typical performance of a 'Mourinho' side.  When he won the league with Chelsea, they would have closed that game out with ease.  I never saw him once bark instructions to his players in order to see the game out!  He just sat there with his arms folded...I didn't quite understand it.

Edited by pazzerfox

9 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

Sorry Russell I completely disagree, I'm convinced that if he stands more centrally he doesn't concede any of the free kicks he's conceded in recent seasons as that in itself would force the kicker to think more. 

His positioning makes the decision for the kicker far too easy. I've mentioned it before but he essentially says to the kicker if you can aim the ball at a specific area of the goal and hit that target you'll score. His lack of height compounds the problem as he's not big enough to get across the goal. As such the kicker doesn't have to think about where he needs to aim as the decision is made for him. He also doesn't have to think about power and trajectory of the ball either so long as he hits the target as Schmeichel has no chance of getting to that area of the goal which in turn makes it easier for the kicker to get the ball up and over the wall as the pace of the ball isn't a consideration. 

Also factor in that the general standard of most Premier League set piece takers is pretty high in the sense that they tend to have good control over the ball in terms of being able to pick a spot and hit it, and his positioning is the fundamental reason why he concedes so many set pieces from these sort of areas.

I was having the exact same discussion with my Dad.  The gap he leaves must make potential free kick takers jizzing their pants.  All they effectively have to do is get it over the wall with a bit of pace...it doesn't even need to be right in the corner!!!

Happy with the final result seeing there were a hell of a lot of poor performances from the men in blue yesterday countered by magical Mahrez who was easily MOTM. There was the complete spectrum on display.

Simpson was poor all day. All the MU attacks came his way and bypassed him. He never stopped a cross, never made a tackle, he was completely embarrassed. Amartey, his replacement was far worse. Iborra had a horrible game, every pass over 5 yards went astray which is most unlike his normal play. Schmeichel only made one save all game and should have done better with the free kick, luckily the MU players had trouble finding the target. Maguire wasn't having a good game until the last minute, he gives away to many unnecessary free kicks.

Others played really well. Morgan continues his good season, Ndidi is an absolute beast only missing ball control, Vardy was tenacious as ever, Oka always brings a lift to the team intensity when he comes on and Mahrez was masterful, the way he stood there with the ball, teasing, before laying off to Vardy was a joy to behold.

A new, upgrade, right back was on the shopping list 2 years ago, its still something needing sorting out.

59 minutes ago, reynard said:

Glad to see we have the usual biased media swooning over the fact that they apparently had so many chances blah blah blah. We were well worthy of a point and they were little more than time wasting and,continuosly  commiting niggling fouls which went unpunished. Yes they had some chances but they didn't score them did they!  Very little mention of the fact they cleared one off the line and that we should have had a penalty. But I expect no more of our media.

Their big players were poor in my opinion considering what they paid for them Pogba was good but not worth what they paid for them and as for Lukaku well he was well marshalled by Morgan. A 75 million player vs a 1 million player!

As for us I thought we were pretty good for much of the game. We were pretty positive from the outset and out first goal was excellent. the play by Mahrez was top class. In fact last night he was really sublime at times. Sadly I think that will be one of the last times we see him play for us and if so it is good to see him playing close to his best. They just resorted to fouling him all the time but Moss as usual didn't deal with it.

As soon as they got their free kick you just knew what was going to happen. We need to think about this. Maybe not even have a wall? Put a man on the post? Open for debate I think.

Finally the ball in for the second goal from Albrighton was just fantastic and Maguire's run and finish brilliant.

Ndidi? probably along with Mata the best player on the pitch.

Apart from the result the best thing about tonight is that hopefully that is the final nail in the coffin of United's chances of winning the title. Both Manchester teams have spent and will continue to spend obscene amounts of money which in my opinion is detrimental to football in this country but at least Manchester City have a manager who knows how to use the talent at his disposal whilst his opposite number at United plays negative football despite the riches at his disposal and then just moans about everything. Just imagine putting on a defensive midfielder when your  2-1 up playing against ten men. No one in their right mind  would do that would they?

Pleased with the point and credit to Puel who made substitutions which seemed a bit odd at the time but ultimately were correct.

Yep. We deserve a lot more credit than we're getting for that performance.

It's true that Man Utd missed a few chances to extend their lead, but mainly when we were 1-2 down and chasing the game and down to 10 men. 

But they did NOT create or miss many chances during the first hour, when we were playing some classy possession football much of the time, while still looking to counter-attack.

During the first hour it was a very tight, even match and we were performing to a high level.

Some have criticised Iborra's performance - unfairly. OK, he occasionally gives the ball away and it looks bad, but he also keeps possession for us a lot.

This allows us to mix our game up under Puel. We still have the ability to counter-attack and to press high, but we can also play possession football, as we did again yesterday.

The stats showed possession at about 50-50 yesterday - and MUFC are a top possession-based team.

While possession isn't essential (as we showed in 15-16), it does reduce pressure on your defence - and gives a platform for a different sort of attacking creativity.

I'd love to see Iborra's personal stats for yesterday as for the first hour he was continually finding space, receiving and passing to a teammate in tight situations, only occasionally losing it.

I feel contempt for refs like Moss. He's like a politician who lacks security or control and keeps making ostentatious gestures to show he's a leader.....in fact demonstrating precisely the opposite.

I could accept it if he was a universally harsh ref, handing out yellow cards for every instance of physical conduct. It's the inconsistency that gets you.

Amartey's second yellow was clear-cut and stupid by him, but his first was harsh - a quiet word would have been enough - and if that was a yellow, Pogba should have been off by half-term and several others walking a line.

Beautiful moment of vindication at the end as we deserved a point - and negative, cynical Jose/MUFC didn't deserve all 3....and what a cross from Albrighton. We'll rarely see better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Glad to see we have the usual biased media swooning over the fact that they apparently had so many chances blah blah blah. We were well worthy of a point and they were little more than time wasting and,continuosly  commiting niggling fouls which went unpunished. Yes they had some chances but they didn't score them did they!  Very little mention of the fact they cleared one off the line and that we should have had a penalty. But I expect no more of our media.

Their big players were poor in my opinion considering what they paid for them Pogba was good but not worth what they paid for them and as for Lukaku well he was well marshalled by Morgan. A 75 million player vs a 1 million player!

As for us I thought we were pretty good for much of the game. We were pretty positive from the outset and out first goal was excellent. the play by Mahrez was top class. In fact last night he was really sublime at times. Sadly I think that will be one of the last times we see him play for us and if so it is good to see him playing close to his best. They just resorted to fouling him all the time but Moss as usual didn't deal with it.

As soon as they got their free kick you just knew what was going to happen. We need to think about this. Maybe not even have a wall? Put a man on the post? Open for debate I think.

Finally the ball in for the second goal from Albrighton was just fantastic and Maguire's run and finish brilliant.

Apart from the result the best thing about tonight is that hopefully that is the final nail in the coffin of United's chances of winning the title. Both Manchester teams have spent and will continue to spend obscene amounts of money which in my opinion is detrimental to football in this country but at least Manchester City have a manager who knows how to use the talent at his disposal whilst his opposite number at United plays negative football despite the riches at his disposal and then just moans about everything. Just imagine putting on a defensive midfielder when your  2-1 up playing against ten men. No one in their right mind  would do that would they?

Pleased with the point and credit to Puel who made substitutions which seemed a bit odd at the time but ultimately were correct.

Could not agree more with everything you've said

24 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

To brighten up everyones Christmas... If you are bored, have a read of this

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-leicester-city.434821/

And we think our fans are bad :D 

A lot of thoughtful insights from knowledgeable Man U fans as to why they scraped a draw against the mighty Leicester City then . . . . . . :P

• Haha 2

Thinking about Kasper - it was pointed out to me that we have no one who can take a free kick so how can he get any decent practice!  It's as if every time the opposition get one it's the first time he has faced that type of effort. Bizarre. I don't see his positioning as being a problem - it's his reaction time and moving his feet to get across. Perhaps a small gap in the wall would allow him to see the ball struck 

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, reynard said:

Great post and I agree with all this.

Sadly, I think you are right about Mahrez. My concern when he didn't move in the summer was that his head would drop and he'd play really badly for us. But with Puel, Mahrez is back to near his best and I'd be amazed if there weren't bids for him again, very soon.

Mahrez once again, has become our talisman. We have no-one else like him and when he goes, we'll massively notice it.

Finally, the ball into the box from Albrighton......you'd struggle to see a better ball into a penalty area than that. It was unplayable.