Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Watford (a) Post-Match Thread (2-1 defeat)

Absolutely sloppy defending from set pieces

just seen the replays, pathetic. 

If that Vardy shot goes in its a different game altogether. But once again, lack of communication between the two centre backs, one having to cover the other and hence leaving Wague unmarked 

And why no one on the back post!?

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Of the 11 games under Puel, I feel like we've only been consistently good throughout in two games - Southampton and Man United.

Even during the winning streak, the performances seemed to be 'a tale of two halves' or alternating brilliant and shit every 10 minutes.

Couple of opponents scoring own goals and missing open nets during that period... things are just evening out now.

I feel like Shakey could have gotten a point from today with a better team selection. Although I don't think he would have gotten anything from Man U.

Not moaning too much about today due to the CM situation, apart from probably 2 exceptions over the last two seasons, every time we haven't had our first choice pairing available we've been pretty shit. Silva in 1 week.... let's hope he's a good one.

Im not really sure why youd expect we would dominate 90 mins against anyone except a team having a total off day.

We are a bang average prem team. So are they. So are quite a few teams. So hardly likely to be dominant.

We have definitely improved under Puel. I do think some of the starting lineup changes arent warranted and i think perhsps he has been slow to react on the day.

But the football is better, results have improved, we will have silva to call on soon and Puel is putting his mark on things.

Lets give it a chance till we judge anything. Judging game to game is silly. Win at southampton were brilliant. Lose to palace and watford were shite. Lets take a broader view.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oxford blue said:

We were poor today and, as said before, dominated in midfield. I was surprised Watford started without Okaka or Grey because it meant Richarlison was not on left hand side where he causes most problems, particularly with a third choice right back. Unfortunately, Dragovic showed just why he is that; poor defensively and too many passes backwards. Chilwell's defensive abilities were exposed, but was good going forward; first half he often combined well with Albrighton - our best player. Gomes played better than he has played for some time, but was not sufficiently tested. Even when Vardy was through first half he wasn't required to make a save. 

Slimani did ok after he came on but I'd be surprised if Watford made a bid , assuming they are interested as has been reported. 

Hopefully Iborra will play v Liverpool and Amartey will be able to play - hopefully showing more responsibility than he did 3 days ago.

I wouldn't. I mean he is better than Okaka, and could be their starter easily, since Troy Deeney is underperforming. But I think he will end up in Newcastle or West Brom.

Edited by Eagle10

the problem is more then a simple defensive problem the problem was that we got over ran over entirely in the midfield this was due to a tactical mistake without iborra our midfield is ineffective at keeping the ball so puel stupidly made our plauers force the play through the flanks thats why we played a 343 so the wingers would attack and then when the wingers got dispossesed the wing backs would intercept formation it worked for a while but eventually watford caught on and started playing through our weak midfield from then on it was game over even without the shitty set piece defending we still would have been dominated. However I can see why puel did this however as hamaza choudry is to young to be playing in a premier league midfield three which would combat not having possesion by having an extra man. And james might not be just as fit to play yet but this us speculation.

This however is just my evaluation of the game plan and why it failed.

Edited by DatfoxesKid23

what a shit house performance again, once again two goals from set plays. really 1 point out of 9 is not great and once again the boss done nothing to change the game till the last 5 mins. 2 more defeats and he can pack his bags.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steveherbe said:

Agree with the last sentence, I was surrounded by some right idiots. Dan( betting against his own team), Adam, Tom, Luke, Jack, yep, I really got the short straw. Cheers UFS. But we had a laugh.

lol come on 11/1 on Wague to score, knowing what we're like was far too good to pass up.

10 hours ago, sm1 said:

We've really shot ourselves in the foot against Palace & Watford. Two out of form dog shit teams , and we've taken zero points. I sudder to think what will happen to us if/when Mahrez leaves.

The team will decline. Mahrez is the difference between upper mid table and lower mid table/relegation concern.

Edited by TeaMen Tom
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

the problem is more then a simple defensive problem the problem was that we got over ran over entirely in the midfield this was due to a tactical mistake without iborra our midfield is ineffective at keeping the ball so puel stupidly made our plauers force the play through the flanks thats why we played a 343 so the wingers would attack and then when the wingers got dispossesed the wing backs would intercept formation it worked for a while but eventually watford caught on and started playing through our weak midfield from then on it was game over even without the shitty set piece defending we still would have been dominated. However I can see why puel did this however as hamaza choudry is to young to be playing in a premier league midfield three which would combat not having possesion by having an extra man. And james might not be just as fit to play yet but this us speculation.

I didn’t think we were playing 343. Seemed like 442 with Dragovic at right back and Chilwell left back.

Actually playing 343 would have at least put round pegs in round holes. Chilwell is simply not good enough defensively ATM to be a left back but is a perfectly serviceable wing back, and Dragovic is not a right back. Meanwhile we have Albrighton as a perfectly capable wing back. Would have been much more balanced IMHO.

So as you clearly think you’re a tactical genius, without Iborra what would you have done? 

Some of the overreaction on here is worthy of an Oscar. Puel used what little of the squad he had left to pick from.... what exactly is he supposed to do? At the end of the day when those lads cross the white line it’s up to them, and some of them simply are not good enough to play in the premier league. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

Spot on. As I kept saying during the Pearson great escape season, the reason for conceding goals is rarely down to just the back four. It's how a side defends 'as a team' that matters.

When the central midfield is not tracking back, or is getting seriously over-run, the defenders are forever put under pressure and will buckle.

The reason why we started conceding sod all in Ranieri's title winning team, wasn't solely due to Morgan, Huth etc. it was also due to Vardy chasing everything down and Drinkwater/Kante controlling the CM area.

Does matter who you pick, if you don't do the basic right! Organisation and marking a corners as complete mess and an a very poor goal keeping error.

They had one shot on target and a O.G from Kasper, we could have easily won the game. 

I  love Kasper but he's not having the greatest of seasons, he's very hit and miss!

Xmas period is alway difficult due to the number games, our squad has limited quality.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Agree. But I’d have much rather see us start today with a central midfield containing Drinkwater. 

“Will you stop going on about Benjamin Netanyahu. Let it go Lynne, you're never gonna meet him.”

We are 8th.  Apart from maybe Burnley I can;t see who above us makes us look "embarrassing" or "disgusting"?  So let's say we could be 7th rather than 8th which I can only really see as mildly annoying at worst, hardly sackable.  Apart from that, who on Earth out of City, United, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool should we be above?  Second half yesterday was bad and we need to be better next game but the level of reaction seems to be larger than the situation merits?  Let's d1ck Liverpool and everything will be OK again. X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TeaMen Tom said:

The team will decline. Mahrez is the difference between upper mid table and lower mid table/relegation concern.

It's an embarrassment that after all our recent success the best support we can give Mahrez in midfield is Andy King. He must get so frustrated playing with this dross his face said it all after the match