Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Liverpool 2 Leicester 1 post match thread

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Did you watch the Watford and palace game? 

I watch every game. I don't disagree that we are struggling to overcome this defensive-first mentality. I don't disagree that we have a tendency to start conceding possession when we take the lead and defending. But today is not more data to support that. Where you see Puel ordering it, I see Puel trying to stop us doing it. I see Puel working to implement a much more possession-oriented, precise passing attack. I saw us play that way BRILLIANTLY after our first goal, we kept it up for roughly 12-15 minutes before Liverpool's attack started threatening to slice us apart. So we started retreating and defending. It is reflexive for our team, that is how we played all last season, and it is a difficult mentality to shed for these guys, even though we aren't going to be keeping clean sheets with our backline and Kasper, much as I hate to admit it. We have to become a scoring side, a side that attacks the entire game, and it is a process. 

Our midfield is where the linkage breaks down. We get tired, we start hoofing it forward. We need midfielders who can both defend and maintain possession. We don't have those right now, we have players who can defend, but struggle with the ball at their feet, save for Iborra, who is less of a defensive threat but better on the ball. Hopefully Silva will be such a player. But we need Ndidi to keep getting better on the ball, better passing the ball -- if he can do that, and if Silva can provide a bit more moving the ball forward while defending, that may be enough for another 3-5 shots per game, hopefully with a couple more on goal. And against elite pressing sides, hopefully we can get maintain possession better. But we need Silva, and probably another MF who can defend but is good enough with the ball to break the press.

• Like 1

****ing disappointing. 

Started well and then let them have a real go at us until they scored. 

Then after that we had a good 10-15 mins spell but as usual we fail to capitalise. Vardy had such a poor first touch today and everything after his goal was not going for him. 

Salah is a class player and he really took Maguire to the cleaners during second goal. 

Subs are bizarre. Who was a playing right wing at the end?! 

Slimani is dog shit. Let's not beat around the bush. He offers nothing. Vardy game was over and genuinely I'd rather have Musa on the pitch. 

Had nothing up front. Slim doesn't win **** all on long balls and at least with Musa we could knock it into the wide areas for him to chase and try and nick s foul or corner or anything. 

Ridiculous subs. 

Fuchs long throw.... We need to work on this. It could be a weapon. But we don't have enough plan or movement involved to make much more of it. Against the technically better teams you have to exploit any weakness I.e physically. 

Maguire out for next game too apparently... 

Thought Ndidi was motm 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lozzyblue fox said:

I agree we never sat back after going 1-0 up before. but all of a sudden we go out for an early goal then defend, the instructions must be coming from somewhere and this was Southampton fans biggest complaint except they had  better defense and won a lot of games 1-0.

exactly, we were always the team that came fighting back rather than the team that bottled a lead. It's just sad if this is the direction our club is going

1 minute ago, Matt said:

There defence is still shaky, dodgy, and dogshit. I am shocked it's the 5th best! Genuinely.

I'm not depressed about losing to Liverpool, but I am however getting depressed and angry about being battered by Palace and Watford and it keeps getting compounded because of that and I don't see it changing against Huddersfield.

Udders is the acid test, lose that one and Puel is gonna get alot of shit.

• Like 1

Just now, The whole world smiles said:

adf2fa67642439ef934c669475b78f44b202274cc3534beb2f9b677f64ce8abd.jpg

I'm the guy who keeps getting proved right. Over and over again.

People start creaming themselves over a new manager and I appear to be the only one who can see that the early results are merely a case of the players trying to get in his good books.

When the honeymoon period is over we begin to suffer from his tactical failings and just like with Shakespeare that is what is happening now.

I don't why people are surprised and confused by what I'm saying or the recent results. Here's an incomplete list of bad things we are doing regularly:

Isolating Vardy and then bringing him off for 2 (inferior) support strikers instead of giving him some support himself while he was on the pitch

'Resting' players after good performances (Okazaki, Gray, Albrighton)

Wildly changing starting lineups and tactics from match to match (i.e.using attacking full backs some games and not in others)

Sitting very deep and not trying to score goals, particularly annoying when we've just scored and are in the ascendancy

Slowing the tempo and passing backwards when unecessary, resulting in us hoofing it long because we have no options like we did 5 seconds ago when there weren't 10 opposition players behind the ball

Late and often baffling substitutions (i.e. bringing on the awful Slimani yet taking off Albrighton who is easily our best crosser)

Not addressing the fact that Ndidi and Iborra are out of form and neither providing defensive cover or attacking threat

Not addressing our weaknesses from set pieces

Lack of reaction when we concede and equaliser, we have to wait til we're behind to try and score a goal or get into the game at all

There's more, but they are the glaringly obvious ones. He showed his cowardice when not having the balls to play his first teamers in a vitally important League Cup quarter final, presumably because he doesn't believe a cup win will save his job, and the club's glory isn't important to him. He's now reinforcing it with limp league displays in which we have shown a shameful lack of ambition to score goals.

These players have proved time and time again that they have talent, and it is not an excuse to say that they aren't up to the job. This team is currently less than the sum of it's parts, a clear indicator of a poor manager.

But I find his negative, passionless approach to games truly pathetic. Every match is becoming a total borefest, as predicted. We're always going to lose games but we're going down like wimps, like we don't believe we can beat teams. We're in the business of hanging on and it's shite. Hateful, in fact.

People are extremely naive if they think we're going to buy a load of impeccable passers and all of a sudden start playing great football. That's it isn't it? 'They aren't his players, we can't play how he wants us to play'. There is far more to it than that. It's not the players. These tactics are excrement.

It is only going to continue. Sure, we'll play well and win in the odd game, and we'll fluke some other results, but all that does is delay the inevitable. Eventually, people will realise he isn't up to the job and is taking us backwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Exactly... bit like the United game, what did people expect to happen? Go back to the games in which we beat them and I bet we were sat back and defending most of the game.

We were better at sitting deep and defending leads back then. This side's closer to the back-end Pearson-era side when, by his own admission, we either attacked all-out or got stuffed because we didn't have the defensive qualities to manage games in that well.

Fuchs should go to USA after this season,thanks for eveything

Amartey is not RB,he is not even defender

Maguire  being best and worst same time,he is always making fatal errors

classic Albrighton game,where he does nothing.he is too much overrated :)

Well Mahrez... just leave already for 70 mil

People need to get some perspective as well on all sides. 

Liverpool have played ten league games at Anfield this season and drawn five of them.

They aren't Man City and some people are talking about them like they are.

Guest MarshallForEngland

Why bring on Slimani and then take off our best crosser of the ball in Albrighton? We seemed to switch to a much narrower formation after Slim came on which means he ended up getting balls to feet or in the channels, perfect for Vardy but Slim needs crosses putting in.

Overall I have to say Liverpool look quality going forward at times, Salah is a class act and Coutinho if he's on it is almost unplayable. But they are so shaky at the back and we didn't test them enough. We should have capitalised after our first goal; crowd were getting annoyed, Liverpool were vulnerable, and we were getting at their back line a lot. Then we seemed to lose our confidence and sat so deep, just invited pressure for the whole game.

Even before the game started we were always going to be on the back foot for long periods. They've got a player who is in the richest vein of form of his career and the rest of their attack are losing confidence too. It was great to go 1-0 up so early but it was always going to be so hard to build on it. It's been a tough schedule, we've had the least amount of recovery time over Christmas, fitting in two away games as well. It's always disappointing to lose of course but this game won't define our season. 

Write it off, move on and look forward to a winnable (yet tricky) game on Monday. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I can accept us losing, I'm blaming not the players, there was plenty of effort there today. I just can't understand how the manager is setting us up to play and I can't understand his subs.

I understood the line-up, but certain things weren't working and surely we could have addressed them sooner. 

What's worrying is that this comment could apply to any of the last four games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

People need to get some perspective as well on all sides. 

Liverpool have played ten league games at Anfield this season and drawn five of them.

They aren't Man City and some people are talking about them like they are.

Agreed Matt, you look at the goal and some of the bullshit play we did, you would think we're lower league.

We just were not at the races, lacked leadership, cohesion and battle

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

Even before the game started we were always going to be on the back foot for long periods. They've got a player who is in the richest vein of form of his career and the rest of their attack are losing confidence too. It was great to go 1-0 up so early but it was always going to be so hard to build on it. It's been a tough schedule, we've had the least amount of recovery time over Christmas, fitting in two away games as well. It's always disappointing to lose of course but this game won't define our season. 

Write it off, move on and look forward to a winnable (yet tricky) game on Monday

I've been saying that for quite a while

7 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

and when you've got the upper hand you don't just hand it over, sitting back with a 2 goal lead would've made perfect sense, I'm not advocating chucking several men forward, but ten men behind the ball was never going to work against this team. We played for luck rather than having an actual tactical plan and it's the 3rd game on the trot we've done this. 

FFS, you seriously think we have the personnel to show up and play attacking, marauding football at Anfield against the best front four in the league without providing additional defensive support? If we keep attacking without providing additional defensive support, what do you imagine the outcome would've been? we lose what, 5-2 instead of 2-1?

We cannot score with Liverpool. We cannot keep possession against Liverpool's press. We tried to attack the first 15 minutes, and we looked amazing at times, but Liverpool adjusted and started ripping through our defense. It is this team's INSTINCT to concede possession and defend. Puel is trying to break them of this habit. But we need more talent. We missed Silva something awful today, he would've been massive. 

5 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I'm the guy who keeps getting proved right. Over and over again.

People start creaming themselves over a new manager and I appear to be the only one who can see that the early results are merely a case of the players trying to get in his good books.

When the honeymoon period is over we begin to suffer from his tactical failings and just like with Shakespeare that is what is happening now.

I don't why people are surprised and confused by what I'm saying or the recent results. Here's an incomplete list of bad things we are doing regularly:

Isolating Vardy and then bringing him off for 2 (inferior) support strikers instead of giving him some support himself while he was on the pitch

'Resting' players after good performances (Okazaki, Gray, Albrighton)

Wildly changing starting lineups and tactics from match to match (i.e.using attacking full backs some games and not in others)

Sitting very deep and not trying to score goals, particularly annoying when we've just scored and are in the ascendancy

Slowing the tempo and passing backwards when unecessary, resulting in us hoofing it long because we have no options like we did 5 seconds ago when there weren't 10 opposition players behind the ball

Late and often baffling substitutions (i.e. bringing on the awful Slimani yet taking off Albrighton who is easily our best crosser)

Not addressing the fact that Ndidi and Iborra are out of form and neither providing defensive cover or attacking threat

Not addressing our weaknesses from set pieces

Lack of reaction when we concede and equaliser, we have to wait til we're behind to try and score a goal or get into the game at all

There's more, but they are the glaringly obvious ones. He showed his cowardice when not having the balls to play his first teamers in a vitally important League Cup quarter final, presumably because he doesn't believe a cup win will save his job, and the club's glory isn't important to him. He's now reinforcing it with limp league displays in which we have shown a shameful lack of ambition to score goals.

These players have proved time and time again that they have talent, and it is not an excuse to say that they aren't up to the job. This team is currently less than the sum of it's parts, a clear indicator of a poor manager.

But I find his negative, passionless approach to games truly pathetic. Every match is becoming a total borefest, as predicted. We're always going to lose games but we're going down like wimps, like we don't believe we can beat teams. We're in the business of hanging on and it's shite. Hateful, in fact.

People are extremely naive if they think we're going to buy a load of impeccable passers and all of a sudden start playing great football. That's it isn't it? 'They aren't his players, we can't play how he wants us to play'. There is far more to it than that. It's not the players. These tactics are excrement.

It is only going to continue. Sure, we'll play well and win in the odd game, and we'll fluke some other results, but all that does is delay the inevitable. Eventually, people will realise he isn't up to the job and is taking us backwards.

We're 8th though. Any need for crisis talk yet?

4 minutes ago, hejammy said:

But to be fair Gray was one of our best players out there today, he even did well defensively 

I must have missed that. I thought he had very little impact on the game, neither joined the press nor the defensive effort, showed very little interest in 50-50s, rarely beat his man, rarely delivered anything decent. Against sides like Liverpool your attacking midfielders need to close down more, press more, turn more 30-70s into 50-50s, and create more havoc than Gray did today. I was desperate for him to come off after 65.

• Like 1